Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Blade??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jim D Posted - 12/22/2019 : 16:15:37
Anyone race a blade??
Im on the Southern Chesapeake, when the wind starts to hit 17-18 the fractionals (ie. a Merit, and #3 J-24s) toss blades up, and walk away from us, and my poor little Capri 25 ... Granted the wave action does me in when in the bay, but even when its a bit smoother in the James River, we don't have the umph....I went out with an Evolution sailmaker, we adjusted tons of stuff, including flying my #3 with a reef in the main..while I was happier, with the feel, when I got home I ran my GPS on my laptop, and there isnt much difference in speed...she advised a deck sweeping Blade, was wondering if anyone else has played with one??
Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts/criticisms!!! All is welcome!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SailTowery Posted - 12/23/2019 : 08:13:36
Hey Jim! I discussed this a bit in this thread...

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31211

The issue is the forward shrouds and how that affects sheeting angles. There are a couple boats with jib tracks inboard of the shrouds on the cabin top. 95% jibs with a tall hoist has been built by EP Sails and North Sails for those tracks.

I haven't built one yet but it's on my list. In 25+ I've found the best results come from my biggest crew hiking hard.

FWIW, I just got a new 140% #2. The plan is to carry that and a reef into the higher wind speeds. I'm assuming we'll point much better than the 110% #3.
Jim D Posted - 12/22/2019 : 17:17:24
Thank you for the link....nice part,I already have the rooftop tracks!

There's a good discussion of blades at this link.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/blade-jib-128603.html
[/quote]
Steve Milby Posted - 12/22/2019 : 16:46:14
I don't sail a Capri 25, but race a lot on a variety of boats, and think a blade makes sense for sailing to windward in 20-30 kt winds. It'll be very easy to tack in strong winds, because it won't snag on the rigging. I day-sailed on a Jeanneau 33 with about a 100% blade in 30+ kt winds and only needed to use a winch handle for about two turns to get it trimmed correctly after a tack. I had the same experience in about the same wind on a Beneteau First 40.7. It's a very easy sail to handle in stronger winds.

There's a good discussion of blades at this link.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f116/blade-jib-128603.html

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page