Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Which new sail?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
SailTowery Posted - 11/15/2019 : 14:38:52
In the last 3 seasons, I have purchased a new Dacron main, 1/2 oz VMG kite and a carbon AP#1. I have 30 year old Dacron #2 and #3 and a 3/4 oz kite still in the inventory. What should be my next sail?

The 3/4 oz kite is a bit tired but still a decent sail. So I'm thinking getting a heavy #1. We go pretty damn well in under 7 knots with the AP1. However, I have never felt the #2 had a good enough wind range. I feel an good H1 can perform better than a bad #2 and if we're overpowered we can reef and un-reef faster than we can change a headsail.

Any thoughts?
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
TCurran Posted - 11/22/2019 : 20:22:23
Ben, Harry refunded the deposit, apologized for the bad note taking and confusion on his part, and offered to make it up in the future. So, all in all I think it was an honest mistake on his part and might take him up on another sail in the future. I still want to purchase a 140 before our season starts in January, might try a local loft.
SailTowery Posted - 11/22/2019 : 15:26:00
Tom, I just PM'd you on FB. I hope it works out with EP.
TCurran Posted - 11/22/2019 : 11:11:46
Let me amend my praise for Harry and EP sails. This thread got me thinking, I paid the 50% deposit late Sep with a stated delivery date of late Oct, early Nov. Just found out today (22 Nov) the sail hasn't even been submitted for production yet and I'm looking at maybe an early Jan delivery. No email, phone call, etc to tell me it was pushed back, I had to ask for an update. I would not have agreed to a Jan delivery date in Sep and looked elsewhere.

So Ben, smart move going with the guys you know. I might PM you on FB for their info if I can get my deposit back.
SailTowery Posted - 11/20/2019 : 13:30:17
Yep. I pulled the trigger on a 140% #2 with my sailmaker, Ballard Sails in Seattle. Haven't decided on cloth selection yet. We're in storage for the winter now but will be taking the boat to Lake Pleasant, AZ for the AYC Birthday Regatta in Feb. It's usually quite light there in Feb. But I'm excited for the new sail!
TCurran Posted - 11/20/2019 : 10:33:03
Took advantage of his fall sail and ordered a 140 from Harry at EP sails. Really liked the main I got from him last fall, still waiting on the 140, hopefully by Christmas. Both are Dacron, don't need anything else for our club racing.
SailTowery Posted - 11/18/2019 : 11:11:14
Looking further, it looks like EP Sails has the #2 at 140%. That may be a nice split the difference kind of thing. 140% vs 135% may be the difference in feeling under powered in the lulls when the #2 is up.
SailTowery Posted - 11/18/2019 : 09:19:57
Great thoughts Steve!

While I'm not the perfect sailor, my crew and I sail the boat pretty well. The bottom is fair, we keep the hardware and rigging in great running shape. More often than not, the difference between winning and back of the fleet comes down to getting the shift or not.

Our lake is typical of most mountain lakes...it can blow 0-25 and back to zero in an afternoon. It can also be a steady 12-15, a steady 25-30 or a steady 0-5. Just roll the dice! We kind of have to be prepared for anything each day.

The boat is old and so are many of the sails. So as we work to improve all aspects of our racing, inevitably, 30 year old sails will become a factor. My plan has always been to replace the sails that need it most so i budget for that each year. I have the whats needed now for the next replacement.

It's the cross over windspeeds that are trickiest. We race with 5 people and 3 of us are over 200 lbs. So hiking weight isn't a problem. We can get a lot out of a bigger sail, as long as that sail can hold up to the stronger winds.

Our #2 is 135% and the #3 is the class 110%. The AP1 is 155%. I'm thinking a heavy 150% #1 might be an awesome sail.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/17/2019 : 19:59:52
Hmmm. You got me thinking. Maybe a Heavy #1 would help me with my performance in stronger winds. Maybe I'll attend the Chicago Sailboat Show this winter and talk with a North Rep about the idea. In fact, when I want a really informed opinion about sails, I always consult one of the top name sailmakers. They don't charge for talk, and they've always given me really good advice.

Obviously, I'm thinking you might be right about the heavy #1, but what about alternatives? What percentage is your #2? 135? If it's a 110, what about a 135 instead of a heavy 155?
Steve Milby Posted - 11/16/2019 : 08:48:22
We don't know the wind conditions at your venue, so your judgment is necessarily better than ours, but FWIW, the way I decide on sail replacements or additions is to identify the conditions when I'm not as competitive as I should be with other boats. When my competitiveness wanes in stronger winds, for example, it's either because I'm not trimming or helming well in those conditions, or because something isn't right with my equipment. If the problem is with trimming or helming, a new sail won't help. You have to accurately identify the cause to know how to rectify it.

You have probably analyzed the situation correctly, but, before you write a big check for a new sail, eliminate all other reasons why you might not be getting the results you want.

On my Cal 25 racer, I found and eliminated problems with the hardware, rig tuning and running rigging, and then bought a new #1 genoa, and still wasn't getting the hoped-for results, and reviewed my trimming and helming practices and am now winning consistently in light to moderate winds. I'm still struggling in strong winds, but am making progress, and believe the remedy will be mostly in trimming and helming, rather than new sails.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page