Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Port Captains

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JimB517 Posted - 06/12/2009 : 13:50:39
At the officers and staff meeting last night we decided to adopt Ed Spengeman's "Wild Hair" idea and setup Port Captains in each geographical area around the world. The idea is that, if any members find themselves travelling, they can contact the Port Captain at their destination and discuss meeting. The meeting might be a drink at the yacht club or a day sail. This is not meant to be a charter and no financial compensation should be sought or offered.

I'll start. Most of you already know that I am in a suburb of San Diego known as Mission Bay and I'll happily take any <b>member</b> of the Catalina 25/250 and Capri 25 International Association sailing. Lake sailors I hope you come ready for the Pacific Ocean!

jbaumgart 'at' starrstuff.com

I've taken about 10 people sailing over the years and enjoyed every one.

If you are interested in being a port captain, either respond to this thread with your port and your contact information or email me.

We will list the port captains in a special part of this website.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 04/29/2023 : 05:58:20
It’s been a long time since I volunteered as a Port Captain for the Stratford and Milford CT area of The north shore of Long Island Sound, so I don’t recall whether there’s a list or spreadsheet of Port Captains by Geography somewhere other than just the three pages of postings here in this thread. I’d imagine that someone could create a Google Sheet or an Office 365 spreadsheet in the Cloud so folks can sign up for available areas around the country and internationally. Anybody here available to set one up? It would probably list the Forum username, port name or geography, State or Province, body of water, Lat/Lon, boat name, boat type, and 1-2 sentences about the port. Maybe sortable by forum name, state, Lat/Lon, or boat name?
Dave Brown Posted - 04/28/2023 : 09:29:06
Ok, how does one look up “ port captains “ by state, or city?
donminton48 Posted - 04/14/2021 : 09:56:40
Is the current list of port captains handy? I am a brand new owner and new to sailing. Looking to travel the country and would enjoy meeting other 250 owners who certainly know a lot that I don’t!
Don Minton, 867, Kemah, Texas
bigelowp Posted - 03/17/2021 : 19:02:24
Would like to throw my hat into the ring for Port Captain in Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT (all within a +/-NM of each other
Chief RA Posted - 05/05/2019 : 07:03:24
Will be in Spud Point Marina May to Nov. Will continue to be Port "Chief" if that meets your approval. Chief
Voyager Posted - 02/23/2019 : 12:20:13
Hello VC Sam,
I responded to your email however my original attempt bounced so I re-emailed it to your vc forum email last week. Please let me know whether you received it.
As I said, I’d be delighted to serve as Port Captain for my area. If anybody plans to visit Milford Harbor in Connecticut I’m happy to host and have plenty of resource information about transient marinas, dining, lodging and attractions nearby.
Also willing to advise on a useful data model for the port captains’ database or data entry forms.
Vice Commodore Posted - 02/18/2019 : 05:34:29
Port Captains Catalina 25, 250, Capri 25

The association is updating the Port Captains list.

What is a Port Captain? The original concept was to have a member of the association in a specific geographical area who would be able to assist other association members when they are traveling to the area. This could be range from local sailing information to taking them on their boat for a sail. This is not meant to be a charter and no financial compensation should be sought or offered.

Guidelines for Port Captain:

Be a member of the association
Be available to meet/email traveling members
Send an email to the Vice Commodore if they are contacted by members
Affirm annually they are active and want to be the Port Captain

The association will build a web page with the port captains listed and how to use the program. Contact will be via email.

If you would like to be a Port Captain, or re-affirm you are a Port Captain, send an email to the Vice Commodore (VC), include your contact data and home port. You will then be contacted by the VC with the details of the program.

Sam
VC
Chief RA Posted - 12/08/2013 : 06:59:52
David: Deckhand is not an offensive title as I have swabbed the deck of the USS Kidd DD661 as a seaman many years ago. She is now a museum and I visited her in 2007 at Baton Rouge. The promotion thing was stated as kind of tongue in cheek. I had no idea how they came up with these titles. I found the Treasurer after posting to you and let him know that my membership was a bit short. ha
Being the Editor is certainly a title itself and I am sure much work. I have done quite a bit of writing composition during my careers. Mostly relating to electronics as that is/was my major field. Thanks for your help. Chief
delliottg Posted - 12/07/2013 : 22:14:30
I was only in for 5 years, got out as an EM2. My dad & oldest brother both retired as LCDR's.

I'll let our treasurer know about your problem, it should get fixed promptly. I'm not actually an officer in the organization, just an editor for the magazine.

"Deckhand" and subsequent titles are awarded with participation, the more posts you make, your title will progress. If it's truly offensive to you, I think it can be changed, but actually not sure.

Last time I was in Bodega Bay, my brothers & I went clamming there. That was probably 20 years ago.

As far as "promoting" you, I have no such powers, you simply volunteered for the post (as has every other port captain), effectively granting yourself the title. I've had the good fortune to go sailing with a couple of guys from the forum, and have met a couple others to give them a hand working on their boats.
Chief RA Posted - 12/07/2013 : 19:49:03
delliottg: I joined the club just now as I said I would but already have a problem! It just informed me that my membership I signed up for today just expired today! Thats what I call a short membership! Think you could get this problem resolved for me? Whats the chances of getting a title a bit better than "Deckhand" since you just promoted me to "Port Chief"? Chief
Chief RA Posted - 12/07/2013 : 18:54:48
delliottg: Thank you for your service as well. How many years did you do? I was a ET1 w/ 10 years US Navy (11 US Army). If I can be of any help just contact me and thank you for the Port Captain honor/responsibility for Bodega Bay area. I have been sailing for about 35 years and my old boat was a 26' Clipper Marine. Picked this one up in your area at Sequim last Sept. and put her in the sea for her first time in Bodega Bay.(Arizona lakes boat) Chief
delliottg Posted - 12/07/2013 : 13:58:46
Chief, judging by your list of accomplishments in your profile, I'd think you can call your new station anything you like. Although you seem a bit young at only 2 years old...

Thanks for your service (USN here as well), and welcome to the forum.
Chief RA Posted - 12/07/2013 : 12:52:37
OK, I'll join the club and would be honored to serve as Port Captain (Chief?) for Bodega Bay CA. Chief
Salvation Posted - 08/13/2012 : 12:50:48
Peter,

I'm doing the Harvest Moon but not on my Cat 250. I'll be crewing on a 40 footer named Parrott Tales.
PCP777 Posted - 08/13/2012 : 12:06:00
quote:
Originally posted by Salvation

quote:
Originally posted by PCP777

quote:
Originally posted by dolivaw

quote:

Do we not have a member near Galveston?

I'm in the Houston/Galveston area. Happy to help in any way I can.

Ah good to know, we go down that way a feew times a year.

I'm also in the Houston/Galveston area. On Clear Lake to be exact. Always ready to sail...

Cool, any of you guys doing the Harvest Moon Regatta?
Salvation Posted - 08/12/2012 : 16:25:49
quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm also in the Houston/Galveston area. On Clear Lake to be exact. Always ready to sail...
PCP777 Posted - 08/08/2012 : 12:30:29
quote:

quote:

dolivaw Posted - 08/07/2012 : 19:57:42
quote:

Tjarnold Posted - 06/18/2012 : 15:21:43
Payette Lake in McCall, Idaho. A dozen or so C25's here. Glad to take any one out.
dmpilc Posted - 06/11/2012 : 08:21:26
Well guys, I've sold our C-25, but we still have the C-22. I may no longer qualify as a port captain(?), but if you are ever planning to be in Nashville and have time to go sailing, email me and I'll make every possible effort to be available. Would enjoy meeting you.
szymek Posted - 05/16/2012 : 12:12:11
Very cool idea!

I'd be happy to be "Port Captain" for this association.

I'm on Lake Ontario out of Bronte Outer Harbour Marina - Oakville, Ontario.

I'm ok with being added to the list or just contact me through email in profile. :-)
Novi Posted - 05/16/2012 : 11:35:08
I'd be more than happy to take members sailing in Halifax NS.

Email is the best way to contact me - find it in my profile.

Todd
JimGo Posted - 04/23/2012 : 12:04:12
If anyone finds themselves in the Ocean City, NJ area, feel free to drop me an E-mail. I'm still new to sailing, so you may be in for more than you expect, but...
PCP777 Posted - 08/11/2011 : 12:14:11
MattL Posted - 06/26/2011 : 10:39:01
Lately I have been here or there with forums so it would be easier to send me an email or phone call. We are on a small lake in central CA, right next to the new UC Merced. Our lake is called Lake Yosemite, if you are in California planning on a trip to Yosemite we are on your way there. Stop by for a sail. I hear the falls are terrific right now with all the snow we have had this year. Kind of dangerous too so watch out. Do a search for lake yosemite and you will find our clubs website too.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page