Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Removing Raymarine ST60 & Throuh-hulls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RPLieser Posted - 11/17/2022 : 20:30:56
Anyone have experience removing the Raymarine ST60 through-hull fittings?

I'm pretty good with glass, however I'm always after experience and lessons learned.

Thanks!
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Voyager Posted - 11/19/2022 : 22:24:47
Any hull repairs should be undertaken as described by Don Casey in his “Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual”. If you have a hole in the hull that you’d like to fill in, start by making it bigger ironically. Take an angle grinder and dig out a concave dish-like perimeter on the outside. Then take six to 10 sheets of fiberglass cloth a little bit larger than the dugout and create a series of concentric circles that you can stack into the depression that you created to fill it up with. Place some masking tape over the hole from the inside of the hull to prevent epoxy from oozing through the hole.

Once you have enough fiberglass circles to fill the space, prep your epoxy and saturate the smallest circle. Paint the hole too. Then lay in the first circle careful to keep it flat. The inside of the circle should just be level with the inside of the hull. Then take the next larger circle, wet it with epoxy, wet the hole, and lay it in. Continue with the next size circles, and keep air bubbles to a minimum. Once you lay in the largest circle, the hole should be filled in just below level with the outer hull. If not, keep adding wetted circles until done. Lay over some plastic food wrap to smooth out the top.

Next, decide whether you want to prime and paint the outer hull or use gelcoat. If it’s below water line you might want to paint it with a barrier coat to avoid water intrusion into the repair.

Don Casey does a great job in the book, your mileage may vary.

What ever you do, make sure to wear gloves and long sleeves to prevent skin contact with epoxy and fiberglass fibers. Wear a particle mask or better mask to protect your lungs.
Take some photos and share your project.
RPLieser Posted - 11/19/2022 : 20:31:22
Hi Daniel,
No... I get speed and depth through my Garmin system... and the water temp here on California's Central Coast is consistent... just don't see the need, nor do I need through-hull fittings and their inherent risk.
Thanks,
-Patrick
dmarion Posted - 11/19/2022 : 07:12:58
Is it to replace it with another one?

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page