Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Table Question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Blowboat Posted - 10/21/2022 : 14:06:36
Hoping someone can help me out...pictures would be worth extracredit! We recently...like 7 days ago...bought a 1983 C-25. It is a traditional layout. The PO...among other things, redid the table and it is no longer able to be folded up. We would like to be able to fold the table up to give us some more room.

Is the table hindged? Or does it lift off and stow away? He had built a new table, which I don't like, so at some point I will head out into the shop and make a new one, so I can do either hinged or lift off with brackets. And if anyone has pictures of how the table is stowed that really would be great.

Thanks in advance!
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sfsmith Posted - 11/06/2022 : 13:51:40
Joseph, I was at my barn so I took a bunch of measurements on the table modification. This may be a case of "be careful what you ask for!"

The support block is three glued-up horizontal pieces of 3/4" poplar, mounted to the bulkhead with three screws from the head side. The bottom of the block is 23 1/2" off the cabin floor. The dimensions of the block are 15 3/4" wide, 4 3/4" deep and 2 3/8" high. The depth allows for the two table sections to be folded up against the storage rack.

The storage rack is 3" deep, 33 1/2" high and 15 3/4" wide. The photos show how it's used to store dishes.

Both pieces of the table top were cut down to 34 3/4" in length. I cut down the piano hinge to fit the shorter length of the table. The width of each piece is 15 1/2". When folded down and opened, the table top is 26 1/2" off the cabin floor.

I drilled a new hole in the bilge cover to receive the table support pin, which stabilizes the extended table.

Finally, I relocated the retaining bolt to the mast support column and drilled a hole in the tabletop side to receive the bolt.

The photos show how most of this works. I did take a few more if you need more detail. Hope this helps with your project.
Steve Milby Posted - 11/06/2022 : 06:56:57
The table in my C&C 35 was mounted on an adjustable pedestal, similar to the one shown in this link. You could lower it to the same level as the seats, put a foam cushion on it, and, when combined with the seats, convert it into a double berth. The table top had a leaf that could be inserted to increase its area.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/yfoAAOSwgZ1iMCfq/s-l1600.jpg
bigelowp Posted - 11/06/2022 : 06:11:39
I am satisfied how my table works, and stores against the bulkhead, its the weight I hate. I have contemplated making a new one out of teak venire plywood, which would be lighter than the heavy masonite/formica version I currently have. The different mounting options shown here are useful if/when I decide to do anything.
C25BC Posted - 11/04/2022 : 07:39:58
I put a Lagun table bracket in with a teak table top , works perfect for my boat . Also put a bracket in the cockpit , the table move s in all directions and folds up compact if you want to stow it .
Blowboat Posted - 10/31/2022 : 15:35:35
quote:
Originally posted by sfsmith

Joseph, I'm sorry but my boat's in storage 20 miles away and I can't find any record of measurements. I know the table sits at its original height off the cabin floor, because I didn't modify the support legs. Also, I cut the table for the maximum length that would still comfortably clear the cabin ceiling when folded against the bulkhead. I hope this is of some use. Good luck. Solomon

Thanks, Solomon. No worries, I appreciate it though. We'll look at it and make some decisions as we spend time on the boat. Right now our first priority is getting the boat ready to sail...one more trip to West Marine ought to provide us with all the parts!
sfsmith Posted - 10/30/2022 : 14:56:13
Joseph, I'm sorry but my boat's in storage 20 miles away and I can't find any record of measurements. I know the table sits at its original height off the cabin floor, because I didn't modify the support legs. Also, I cut the table for the maximum length that would still comfortably clear the cabin ceiling when folded against the bulkhead. I hope this is of some use. Good luck. Solomon
Voyager Posted - 10/29/2022 : 20:43:33
Any time you install a table or before anything you build on a boat, ask yourself: how do you plan to use the table? How many people will use it at the same time? Where will you be seated to use it? What are some use cases?
On Passage, I have a dinette seating arrangement, two bench seats on the port side that face one another, with a full-sized table between them. It was about 16” wide and 25” long. Table height is approximately 26-27” off the floor.
It was a huge hulking space hog, so I decided that I needed a much narrower table. It still spans the width, but it’s about 14” long and the sides are tapered somewhat like a trapezoid to allow folks some additional personal space while seated. I made it out of three pieces of 4”-wide 3/4” teak boards joined edgewise, and it’s big enough for a book, a chart, my lunch or a couple of drinks.
Think about it, bigger is not necessarily better. Try making a few samples out of cardboard to see what suits you best.
If you need a dinner-table, can I interest you in my old one?
But a 15”x15” table should be more than sufficient. I like the fold-up designs by Catalina where you have an approximately 7-1/2” x 15” table that folds out to 15”x15”. Some folks use a pedestal that’s secured to the floor and the edge of the table hooks onto the wall with a French cleat. Question is, where do you store it when you take it down? Sky’s the limit, use your imagination. But model it first with some cardboard.
Blowboat Posted - 10/29/2022 : 12:16:05
quote:
Originally posted by sfsmith

Hi, Joseph. Tango originally had the table that hooked onto brackets. It was heavy and not all that secure. I cut down the table, installed a block with a piano hinge and racks for holding dishes. Now the table folds up to cover the racks when not in use. It still folds out as it originally did, but it's just shorter. I drilled a new hole for the support pin in the bilge cover to stabilize the support. I hope this link works: https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2166+93 If not, look for "Tango table project" in the photo section under projects gallery. Hope this helps.

So, I believe I had seen your pictures earlier in some of my exploring this site. Two questions...if you by chance know. Do you know how high off the cabin floor the table is? Also, how long is your table?

If you have this info that would be great. If not no worries.
sfsmith Posted - 10/28/2022 : 14:29:53
Hi, Joseph. Tango originally had the table that hooked onto brackets. It was heavy and not all that secure. I cut down the table, installed a block with a piano hinge and racks for holding dishes. Now the table folds up to cover the racks when not in use. It still folds out as it originally did, but it's just shorter. I drilled a new hole for the support pin in the bilge cover to stabilize the support. I hope this link works: https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2166+93 If not, look for "Tango table project" in the photo section under projects gallery. Hope this helps.
OLarryR Posted - 10/21/2022 : 20:59:05
I replaced my table since I did not like the original which required it to be lifted off the brackets and then stored upright against the bulkhead. An earlier project involving a bunk extension, while the bunk could be easily dismantled and stored, I preferred it to remain in place since my design allowed full access to the Head and VBerth areas. Therefore, I considered a hinged table but not with a support leg since the support leg would interfere with the bunk extension. So, I came up with the below idea which has worked out fine for me. There are more photos and details of both installations (bunk extension and hinged table) on my website.

Blowboat Posted - 10/21/2022 : 16:53:52
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

My table initially lifted off brackets.
I rebuilt a new one that hinges up for storage. In order to make this modification, the table has to be shorter.
I'd be happy to show pictures, but this site is difficult to post photos.
Here are my posts on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=898854530491743&set=pcb.3460625017288401

Thanks for sharing...I like that!
https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/69237401_898854537158409_4237069122510258176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=XFDW9Zn68VMAX_5FS8U&_nc_oc=AQnfTveq6X0IyvD7xMiApG8VxrVib6A0DgqxYbeW1zoixp9Sjz6IZiIJf__3DfIcrkmjZ2f8czO_HgUNrb4ziuz2&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AT8umejT0hL878IYM21BhhT2IWM2u67YlBDFz5zJXR6bJQ&oe=63793B25

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/68670689_898854553825074_1415545002271965184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=k4DU42nTNIMAX8pYb_Q&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AT_Z6Ob_kLjsWodiuhIxgq3Srlw8N5q7UfOAwkWe1N5qng&oe=6377A59B

Steve Milby Posted - 10/21/2022 : 16:10:15
quote:
Originally posted by Blowboat

Thanks, Joe. While I was at the boat today (It is just over an hour from home) I had on my to-do list to measure it because I was not sure if length was an issue. But rather than look at my list I went from memory...and completely forgoet about it.

So, let me ask you this. When you take it down to stow it, there is a "pocket" where it sits, but how is it secured up top? Is it just a barrel bolt or is there some other "support"?

You're right Joe. The original table had a hinged leg. The leg had a short piece of dowel on the end that fitted into a hole in the floor. The top had brackets on one end that attached to the brackets on the bulkhead. When you took the table down, you folded the leg under the top, put the table into the "pocket," and secured a barrel bolt to hold it in place. The hinged leg had a metal version of Velcro to hold the leg against the top, so the leg wouldn't swing away.
Russ.Johnson Posted - 10/21/2022 : 15:44:38
Hi Steve,

I was able to download your photos.

SKS Posted - 10/21/2022 : 15:34:18
My table initially lifted off brackets.
I rebuilt a new one that hinges up for storage. In order to make this modification, the table has to be shorter.
I'd be happy to show pictures, but this site is difficult to post photos.
Here are my posts on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=898854530491743&set=pcb.3460625017288401

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/69237401_898854537158409_4237069122510258176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=XFDW9Zn68VMAX_5FS8U&_nc_oc=AQnfTveq6X0IyvD7xMiApG8VxrVib6A0DgqxYbeW1zoixp9Sjz6IZiIJf__3DfIcrkmjZ2f8czO_HgUNrb4ziuz2&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AT8umejT0hL878IYM21BhhT2IWM2u67YlBDFz5zJXR6bJQ&oe=63793B25

https://scontent-bos5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/68670689_898854553825074_1415545002271965184_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=k4DU42nTNIMAX8pYb_Q&_nc_ht=scontent-bos5-1.xx&oh=00_AT_Z6Ob_kLjsWodiuhIxgq3Srlw8N5q7UfOAwkWe1N5qng&oe=6377A59B

Blowboat Posted - 10/21/2022 : 14:58:54
quote:
Originally posted by JoeRobertJr

My table lifts off two brackets on the wall. A hinge on my table would not work, because there would not be enough clearance to the overhead. A hinge could work with a shorter table. Or perhaps a double hinge that lets the wall-end of the table drop down.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful photos. Good luck with your project!

Thanks, Joe. While I was at the boat today (It is just over an hour from home) I had on my to-do list to measure it because I was not sure if length was an issue. But rather than look at my list I went from memory...and completely forgoet about it.

So, let me ask you this. When you take it down to stow it, there is a "pocket" where it sits, but how is it secured up top? Is it just a barrel bolt or is there some other "support"?
JoeRobertJr Posted - 10/21/2022 : 14:18:52
My table lifts off two brackets on the wall. A hinge on my table would not work, because there would not be enough clearance to the overhead. A hinge could work with a shorter table. Or perhaps a double hinge that lets the wall-end of the table drop down.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful photos. Good luck with your project!

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page