Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 spinnaker poke uphaul block

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
smd Posted - 06/04/2022 : 20:27:58
Hey all,

I'm looking at installing proper spinnaker rigging (by which I mean symmetrical with pole). Up until now I've only flown my gennaker, which I love. But at some point I picked up a used symmetrical, and at some other point a used pole. So now the missing pieces are the uphaul and downhaul for the pole. I understand I would need to add a block, say, a little above the spreaders for the uphaul. But I generally like to give things a dress-rehearsal before I start drilling holes, so I was thinking of lashing a block to the front of the mast AT the spreaders, just for a test run. Bad idea? My other question to anyone who has added this bit of rigging, is if you did add a block on the mast for the uphaul how did you attach it? Will a screwed in pad-eye do the job, or would you go for a "mast hound" installed with screws or even pop rivets? Thanks for any insight. -Steven
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
dmpilc Posted - 07/14/2022 : 15:12:27
A pad eye with a swivel block should be sufficient. Recommend a block to handle 5/16" line. BTW, the line holding the spinnaker pole up is called a topping lift. since it is only holding up the pole, a pad eye will work, probably mounted vertical, but I'm not certain. Think about the stresses. you may want to use pop rivets. Do you have a mast light on the front of the mast? Is it high enough above the spreaders that you can mount a pad eye at the spreaders? If not, go just below the spreaders. Your spinnaker halyard should go through a swivel block at the masthead. If you do not have a spinnaker block bail at the masthead, you will likely need to move the forestay to the second attachment point on the front of the masthead. The spinnaker halyard block needs to be in front of the forestay.
The spinnaker downhaul line should go through a block on the deck, preferably in front of the forward hatch. However, if you have the metal piece under the mast to hold several blocks, you might get by bringing the downhaul to a block there.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page