Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Companionway ladder L - bracket

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
captnamo Posted - 05/28/2021 : 14:43:46
My 1980 C25 companionway ladder is connected to the cabin floor by one stainless steel L bracket starboard side. Port side bracket is missing as there are holes where it would have been screwed in. I haven't been able to find an identical replacement.

Does anyone know if there is a replacement part for this or am I going to have to find someone to manufacture one?

9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
canadiansailorkid Posted - 06/20/2021 : 08:44:06
I was trying to find the right hardware for mine as well because the bolts connecting the teak ladder and angle bracket seem to have gone AWOL. I was going to upsize to 1/4"x1.5" hex bolts. But of course I had fine threaded bolts and course threaded nuts so that was a show stopper.

Lee Panza Posted - 06/05/2021 : 10:09:15
Steve: If you're not successful at locating an exact replacement (I'd be astounded if you do, but you never know), you can fabricate one yourself a lot cheaper than getting a machine shop to make it. All you'd need is a hacksaw, a drill and a set of bits, and some means of holding the material (a small vise that clamps onto an old tabletop could work). Rather than stainless steel you could use 6061-T6 structural aluminum stock (I forgot to check, but I'm pretty sure mine are just structural aluminum, and I'm quite sure it would be sufficient). You can buy a one-foot piece of inch-and-a-quarter by quarter inch angle stock here:

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/aluminum/1-25-x-1-25-x-0-25-aluminum-angle-6061-t6-extruded-structural/pid/976

Stainless steel screws can be found in any hardware store. No problem with dissimilar metals at that location. One-inch long screws should be fine, but you'd have to experiment on the diameter (buy a few cheap steel screws in various sizes to experiment with).

The most challenging part of the project would be measuring accurately to align with the existing screw holes, but in something like this the tolerance is fairly substantial. Drill the holes in the angle stock somewhat oversize, and then if the screws still wind up being a little off you'll be able to get them all started and then just drive each one a little at a time sequentially.

There's an indescribably great sense of accomplishment that derives from Do-It-Yourself projects, even as small as this.

captnamo Posted - 06/02/2021 : 05:14:26
Thanks for the input everyone! I have messages out to Catalina Yachts and Mass Marine Parts.
bigelowp Posted - 05/29/2021 : 11:57:29
I found a treasure trove of used parts at massmarineparts.com/massmarineparts@gmail.com They are located in Quincy MA and part out boats and have literally trailers of parts including sails, stoves, rigging, etc, etc. If you contact Jon and have a pic of what you are looking for I will bet he has it. Back in winter I was looking for replacement aluminum window frames for my boat. He had 8 or 9 sets. In the teak trailer he had companionway steps of all types, each labeled as to type of boat they came out of. A real find.
Leon Sisson Posted - 05/29/2021 : 11:46:36
Since it's fin keel, you can disregard what I said about going to the trouble to get an aluminum piece.  I was thinking swing keel.
Derek Crawford Posted - 05/29/2021 : 08:24:19
After I installed carpet on TSU, I couldn't screw the plates through the carpet and have the screws on the top piece fit flush. I took away the plates and never had a problem with the companionway moving.
Voyager Posted - 05/28/2021 : 21:29:27
The Owners list says the following about the boat and the P.O.:

1746 - Moe'Uhane, 1980 Standard, Fixed Keel
Michael K. MI USA
Leon Sisson Posted - 05/28/2021 : 19:15:04
Steve,

Re: "Does anyone know if there is a replacement part for this..."

I suggest you contact Catalina Yachts (or Catalina Direct, their retail parts department) about a replacement.  They have a lot of parts available for these boats.

Re: "...or am I going to have to find someone to manufacture one?"

If Catalina doesn't have it in stock, see if they'll make you one.  They might have the original aluminum angle material laying around, and probably still have the shop drawings.

If you strike out there, I might be able to provide a dimensioned sketch of the part from my 1979 swing keel boat.  By the way, is your boat swing keel or fin?  Because it might make a difference.
Voyager Posted - 05/28/2021 : 18:16:06
Is it possible to make a wooden block from teak or mahogany to replace the original stainless piece? I don’t recall how many holes are horizontally mounted into the ladder or how many bolts mount into the floor, but if you match the pattern, you can probably make do until you can fine the right part or a fabricator.

Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page