Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin Cushions - Dinette Version
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jon300c
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/18/2021 :  11:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I have been searching around the various forums and such to see if anyone has reupholstered their cabin cushions for a Catalina 25 dinette version (swing keel). My wife and I would like to reupholster this over the next few months but our existing cushions are in storage. Does anyone know about how many yards of fabric we would need? I would like to order soon and get all our materials ready.

Also... looking at different fabrics. Sunbrella upholstery fabric or marine vinyl by marinevinylfabric.com

Thank you.

Jon

Edited by - jon300c on 02/18/2021 13:09:00

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2021 :  13:44:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have a number... We had new cushions made by an auto/boat upholstery shop--new, thicker foam, with fiber batting on top, covered by Sunbrella upholstery fabric (we picked a linen-like texture) on the tops and sides, and vinyl on the bottoms. The vinyl was to prevent mildew in the fabric or foam from night condensation that can linger under the cushions. This was in 2000--"Voyager" Bruce Ross can report on how they held up--I believe he's re-done or replaced them.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2021 :  16:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon:

Go with Sunbrella, it looks, wears and feels the best. You might want to check out Sailrite (www.sailrite.com) They are a supplier to the do-it-yourself person supplying materials to make sails, dodgers, Bimini's and interior cushions. They sell the materials and rent/sell their heavy duty sewing machines. If you contact them they may tell you how much material to plan on for the project, or how to do he calculation yourself. They also have excellent videos on projects and may be a great resource for this, or future projects.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2021 :  19:01:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never did replace my cushions. I had gotten ridiculous proposals ($5-6K) for them... I removed the covers and washed them at the laundromat on the gentle cycle with Woolite detergent. Cleaned up nice.

I’ve got some cushion dimensions around here somewhere. Yes, I’ve found them in an email l sent to an upholsterer from 2019.

Cushion foam for Passage
Note: back = 2.5" bench = 4.25". This describes the “thin” and “thick” cushions.
1. Dinette seat back 1
2.5" x 33" x 14.5". thin

2. Dinette seat back 2
2.5" x 37" x 14.5" thin

3. Dinette seat pad 1
4.25" x 39" x 24" thick

4. Dinette seat pad 2
4.25" x 42" x 20" thick

5. Table spacer - this is the pad that sits atop the table when it’s in the down position.
4.25" x 41" x 20" thick

6. Aisle pad - this one fills the gap between the dinette “island” and the starboard settee.
4.25" x 54" x 17" thick

7. Starboard settee back
2.5" x 75" x 15" thin

8. Starboard settee bench pad
4.25" x 75" x 19" thick

I do not know the exact dimensions of the quarterberth cushion but I recall it’s about 75”-80” long and about 22” wide at its widest part and somewhat jalepeño shaped. It’s a thick pad at 4.25".

The Vee berth cushions were lost in my garage fire. No idea but I’d guess two halves of a triangle that are about 5.5’ long and 3’ wide. Also 4.25".

Good luck with your cushion project.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2021 :  19:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a bit of free advice: I would not advise using vinyl for surfaces that come in contact with the skin. Very uncomfortable in hot weather, but it would be fine for the backs and the bottoms.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

jon300c
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  06:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

We are very familiar with Sailrite and I think we have watched all the videos 2x :) I do have a hard time paying $25+ a yard for fabric but might have to bite the bullet on this one.

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Jon:

Go with Sunbrella, it looks, wears and feels the best. You might want to check out Sailrite (www.sailrite.com) They are a supplier to the do-it-yourself person supplying materials to make sails, dodgers, Bimini's and interior cushions. They sell the materials and rent/sell their heavy duty sewing machines. If you contact them they may tell you how much material to plan on for the project, or how to do he calculation yourself. They also have excellent videos on projects and may be a great resource for this, or future projects.

Go to Top of Page

jon300c
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  06:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, you are the man!!!

Thank you so much for posting the measurements. This will be very helpful in ordering our fabric.

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Just a bit of free advice: I would not advise using vinyl for surfaces that come in contact with the skin. Very uncomfortable in hot weather, but it would be fine for the backs and the bottoms.

Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  07:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-One-Plus-Pacific-Blue-Outdoor-Coated-Marine-Canvas-Boat-UV-Fabric-60-W/272809825220?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 with good results both inside and out on my boat. 1/2 the price of Sunbrella.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  07:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got 19 YDs of 46" Sunbrella, went back and checked. 14 YDs of black underlining for the bottom, was too much. 54 FT YKK #5 zipper, pulls and a few other things. Here's the link to the album.

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  13:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim’s pic above shows the quarterberth has 2 cushions. We shortened the narrow one to use on a “bridge” between the starboard settee and the dinette to make an athwartship double. The width was just right. The dimension Bruce gives for the berth is probably for the wider, tapered one. We found the space behind the companionway steps, under the cockpit sole, was much more useful for storage than for sleeping—the narrow cushion was never used there.

If you choose a pattern or stripe, you may need more yardage.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2021 :  07:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave — You’re right about the 2nd QB cushion, I have no idea how any person would fit in that narrow slot.

My daughter who is 5’5” and around 120# always takes the starboard side of the quarterberth, but there’s no way even she could comfortably fit under the cockpit sole.

Converting that cushion to fit the span or “bridge” between the dinette and settee was brilliant.

My wife and I generally set that up with a queen-size airmattress. But once or twice we’ve slept with a sheet directly over the cushions. Not too shabby as a campout.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page