Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Seeking Catalina 25 - first sailboat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mohiggy
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/26/2020 :  06:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cliff Notes: Seeking a Catalina 25 in or near Lake Norman (about 20 miles North of Charlotte NC). Prefer swing keel or shoal draft. Trailer would be nice - especially if the boat is not on Lake Norman.

Expanded version: My wife and I are new to sailing keel boats. We learned on Flying Scott's earlier this year and now sail a Catalina 22 owned by the local sailing club. After much research (we've seen Catalinas, Hunters, O'Days, Pearsons, a Beneteau, a San Juan, and even a friend-of-a-friend's Grampian), but keep coming back to the Catalina 25.
We have a dock available but I'm concerned that when the lake level is at it's lowest, I'd have to move or reposition the boat or risk a fin keel possibly getting stuck. I'm not ruling a fin keel out, but there's that to consider. With a swing or shoal keel and a foot less draft it would never be an issue.
I have a tow vehicle and could pull the boat on a trailer if I needed to. As I suspect many other's here have too, we've thought how nice it would be to have the option to trailer the boat out to the coast and spend a few days exploring the intracoastal. However, I've spoken with numerous sailors in the area who seem to fall into two camps. Camp A are those who still haven't made the trip a single time. Their boats have stayed in the lake while their trailers have rotted in the yard. Camp B are those who have done it and swear they will never do it again. Is there a Camp C?(Those who did it, loved it, would do, will do, or have done it again.) Any feedback from someone in Camp C would be welcome, and if anyone has a lead on a Catalina 25 on Lake Norman, please let me know. Thanks in advance,
-Rob

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC

Edited by - Mohiggy on 06/26/2020 06:30:41

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1505 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2020 :  12:43:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have a tow vehicle and could pull the boat on a trailer if I needed to. As I suspect many other's here have too, we've thought how nice it would be to have the option to trailer the boat out to the coast and spend a few days exploring the intracoastal. However, I've spoken with numerous sailors in the area who seem to fall into two camps. Camp A are those who still haven't made the trip a single time. Their boats have stayed in the lake while their trailers have rotted in the yard. Camp B are those who have done it and swear they will never do it again. Is there a Camp C?(Those who did it, loved it, would do, will do, or have done it again.) Any feedback from someone in Camp C would be welcome

In response to this part, you might be better suited posting this question in either the General Sailing forum or the Catalina 25 forum. I think they're a few guys here that trailer their boat from Ohio to Florida in the winter time.

If you have a place to park the trailer without cost, having it will not be a bad thing. However, if you use or not, it will still need to be maintained.

Good luck on your search.

Edited to add: Member here Zeil, Henk & Johanna, have trailered a C250 almost all over the country.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay

Edited by - Davy J on 06/26/2020 12:51:22
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2020 :  13:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have towed our c-25 to the San Juan Islands at least 6 times now. Itís a 10 hour drive each way. No regrets and would totally do it again.

So, I believe I belong in that third group.

She lives in the water (a local lake) for 6 months. On her trailer for the 6 months of winter. I pull her out of the water each year for the two week trip to the islands.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2020 :  14:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a great point about storage and maintenance. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2020 :  14:02:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalelargent

I have towed our c-25 to the San Juan Islands at least 6 times now. Itís a 10 hour drive each way. No regrets and would totally do it again.

This is good to hear! So there IS a Camp C after all. Thank you for the feedback.

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1133 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2020 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here is an archived article that may be of interest to you

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=24592&SearchTerms=synopsis

Henk & Johanna
Mariah '96 C250WB #191
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/29/2020 :  10:32:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the great feedback. Here's a follow up thought and question. My wife and I are now a few weeks into our search for a boat and finding that there are a lot more Catalina 25's that do not have trailers than ones that do. I've gotten a few quotes from professional transportation companies and found there is a range in cost. Moving from A to B is one part of the cost dependent on mileage (about $3-$4 per mile), and then there is the cost to decommission and prepare for the trip, then recommission once it arrives. Those costs seem to range from a few hundred bucks up to $800 on each end. Even if I de/recommission the boat myself, it's still rather costly - in some cases more than the cost of the boat. I priced a new trailer and depending on options, that's a $4k-$6k investment for something that would have very limited use. A search for used trailers yields few results. SO - my question to those of you that have C25's, but not trailers is: How did you get your boat to where it is now and would you do it the same way again or differently?
Go to Top of Page

Mohiggy
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2020 :  07:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATE - I'm currently the newest C25 owner in this association!

My wife and I found a boat that - like so many things in life - was a compromise in some respects. The biggest ones were that it's a fin keel and has no trailer. Other than those, it really checked off many of our other boxes, and the price was just too good to pass on.

I'll post some pictures and a more detailed description soon. Also looking forward to updating my signature line! (1985 Catalina 25 Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Dinette layout)

Rob Higgins
1986 C25 TR / FK #5164
Cornelius, NC
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
188 Posts

Response Posted - 07/04/2020 :  09:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page