Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Planning on lowering the mast in the near future..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LSM
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
10 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/30/2020 :  16:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I plan on lowering the mast in the near future to replace lights and the windex. I have verified I have almost everything I need to do this task. Well, sort of. Still cannot find the webbing strap that goes around the mast. I have what I believe is the raising equipment for the winch, except it does not match any of the documentation that is in the manual. My trailer does not have any of the accommodations that are in the illustrations. It is the original trailer.

The raising system based on what I can determine would fit in the tab the Jib furler is attached to. The boat is hull 140 so, I am hoping the raising and lowering system has been refined after mine was built.

Has anyone seen this setup and are my predictions on how this would be assembled correct? I really don't want to set this up and have the whole thing fail halfway down and be without a mast.

Hopefully the photos show up.... Nope... any suggestions on what I am doing wrong would be appreciated.

Here are some photos of the hardware:
The whole assembly:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/iGVkBkWj3CbLW6qFA

Where I think it goes into the Jib tab:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1j9Ly2mVcRCk972z9

It has lines and blocks on both sides and not sure where these attach to. You can see them in the first photo complete:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/K1wWkEuj69WZNMcw9

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity

Edited by - LSM on 05/30/2020 16:20:46

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

147 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2020 :  08:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was waiting for someone with better/exact knowledge to reply, but having raised/lowered many times I have a few thoughts. I have the trailer mod that provides a very tall mast to connect the winch to the straps. Without that, and based on MacGregor 26 experience in previous life, you will need a gin pole rather than just connecting the lifting tackle to the jib tab on the forepeak. That may be what you are describing, but just make sure. Essentially, you will have that gin pole (I think I see it in one of your photos?) inserted into the mast base (there should be a hole), and sticking straight up, perpendicular to the deck. The temporary baby stays are a very nice feature on the C250... keeps things lined up nicely. Check out this page that shows the process for a Mac 26S. This type of setup will work for you. Check and double check, be safe... don't let anyone stand under the mast while raising in case it all lets go. I usually lift the mast as high as I can out of the crutch (with someone else on the trailer winch) and then go up on the foredeck to get out of the way. Good luck!

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
10 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2020 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doublereefef, thanks for the link.

Apparently, the setup that I have and possibly the trailer is not original. I will have to fabricate a similar system that resembles the factory setup. I will look at the MacGregor page more closely and see if the pole system is remotely similar and fits where suggested. The cables attached to the pole makes sense that they would be used to stabilize the Gin pole part for the raising. I imagine these would attach to the stanchions where the baby stays are connected. When I do try to lower and step the mast the first time, I will use the yard crane to provide a safety back up just in case all goes "south".

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2020 :  17:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen this movie before and Rick had a brilliant solution because he, like me, did not have a trailer assembly...if you look in the archives you will find a lot of discussion on this topic. My eventual solution was to attach a metal pole to the mast using a Bimini fittings and attaching a winch to the pole as well. Since I didn't have the mast guidance shrouds, I used winch straps looped through the holes where they went. It works perfectly but I'm terrified every time I have to do it...

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4656 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2020 :  20:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While not as elegant as the 250 Gin Pole method with the trailer cradle,I like my homemade A-frame method with two 10 ft 2x3s attached to the forestay and the chainplates, and hoist the mast using the Mainsheet.

Iíve done it with help from another sailor in the yard and also solo on the dock and itís always very predictable. I built a 6 ft tall cradle to catch the mast on the way down. The cradle is lashed firmly aft to my stern pulpit, so the mast does not want to pivot very much once it goes down.

Once down, I strap the forestay and furler to a 1x3 board lashed to the mast and walk the whole thing forward to rest between the bow pulpit, the cabin top (with a few wooden block spacers) and the stern pulpit.

The biggest problem for me is managing all the shrouds, lines, halyards and lashing everything along the mast to prevent snags and tangles.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain ó Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page