Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Digger
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/15/2019 :  07:52:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently acquired a spinnaker and while the boat is out of the water for some other repairs, am now trying to figure the best way to rig the ‘chute. I purchased the spinnaker crane from Catalina Direct, Part#: Z2686 https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/2092/spinnaker-crane-c-25-std-rig-c-250-c-27-c-28.htm?SearchResults=1 and it is now on the masthead. I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?

Also, should the spinnaker topping lift block be located about the same height as the spreaders?

I do appreciate this group and have learned many very helpful things, many of which I have failed to express thanks for. Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8085 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  12:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digger

...Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!
Hah! Reminds me of the name of Derek Crawford's "late" C-25: ^This Side Up^ (I've got nothing for you on the spinaker.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/15/2019 13:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5228 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  14:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Digger

I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?
I'm not sure what you're asking. On my Cal 25, I store my spinnaker shackle on the mast pad eye unless I plan to fly the spinnaker. When I plan to fly it, I attach the spin halyard shackle to one side of the bow pulpit, and then clip it to the spinnaker head just before hoisting it. If you attach the spin halyard to the chainplate at the base of the forestay when beating to windward, it will definitely interfere with the tacking of the jib. If it's attached to one side of the pulpit, the jib can tack back and forth inside it without touching it.

quote:
Also, should the spinnaker topping lift block be located about the same height as the spreaders?
On my C&C 35 I use a spare jib halyard from the masthead for the spinnaker pole topping lift. The spinnaker crane puts the spin halyard forward of the topping lift by an inch or two, so they don't interfere with each other.

It runs in my mind that the spin pole topping lift block on my Cal 25 is located about a foot or two above the spreaders, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Both my boats have masthead rigs like the Catalina 25.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  14:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by Digger

...Anyway, the deck has remained above the water, and the hull remains down thanks to all of you!
Hah! Reminds me of the name of Derek Crawford's "late" C-25: ^This Side Up^ (I've got nothing for you on the spinaker.)


Derek was kind enough and patient to go sailing with my brother and me one windless afternoon. Mostly we sat in heat, but it was delightful to hear his stories and glean some good advice. He went from "This Side Up" to a Cat 22 named "Downsized." He certainly knows sailing.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
31 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  14:19:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:
Originally posted by Digger

I am wondering about the spinnaker halyard interfering with the headsail if I run the halyard straight to the base of the mast. Should I run the halyard to the base of the forestay instead?
I'm not sure what you're asking. On my Cal 25, I store my spinnaker shackle on the mast pad eye unless I plan to fly the spinnaker. When I plan to fly it, I attach the spin halyard shackle to one side of the bow pulpit, and then clip it to the spinnaker head just before hoisting it. If you attach the spin halyard to the chainplate at the base of the forestay when beating to windward, it will definitely interfere with the tacking of the jib. If it's attached to one side of the pulpit, the jib can tack back and forth inside it without touching it.

quote:
Also, should the spinnaker topping lift block be located about the same height as the spreaders?
On my C&C 35 I use a spare jib halyard from the masthead for the spinnaker pole topping lift. The spinnaker crane puts the spin halyard forward of the topping lift by an inch or two, so they don't interfere with each other.

It runs in my mind that the spin pole topping lift block on my Cal 25 is located about a foot or two above the spreaders, but I'm not absolutely certain.

Both my boats have masthead rigs like the Catalina 25.


Thanks. I had been thinking of using the jib halyard as the spin halyard since I have a roller furling headsail. If I do that I will need pad eye somewhere on the mast for the topping lift. The Parts catalog illustration shows it at the spreader.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5228 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  14:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see no reason why locating it at the spreader wouldn't work. The block is usually somewhere between the spreaders and the masthead. Within that range, I don't think the exact location is especially critical.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1450 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  16:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is how I tied up the spinnaker halyard when not in use, both ends tied to the bow pulpit:





When raising the spinnaker, the tail brought to the mast and cleated off when raised.



Davy J


2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1450 Posts

Response Posted - 03/15/2019 :  16:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Photo of the masthead crane with halyard lead to base of mast:





Davy J


2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.06
Notice: The advice given on this site is based upon individual or quoted experience, yours may differ.
The Officers, Staff and members of this site only provide information based upon the concept that anyone utilizing this information does so at their own risk and holds harmless all contributors to this site.