Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Single point lifting eye
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SailTowery
1st Mate

Member Avatar

64 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/15/2018 :  11:27:35  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there specs somewhere for the lifting eye that screws into the aft hole in the floor?

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2018 :  12:05:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben,
I put a drawing in my dropbox link with the pictures
It looks like it is a 1" dia x 8 tpi, but look at the drawing as there is more to it than just the eyebolt.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 11/15/2018 :  13:06:42  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joearcht

Ben,
I put a drawing in my dropbox link with the pictures
It looks like it is a 1" dia x 8 tpi, but look at the drawing as there is more to it than just the eyebolt.

Rock n roll! Thank you!!!

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  14:03:08  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, the hole for the lifting eye on my boat looks pretty corroded. It seems suspect. Is there another method used on our boats for hoist launching?

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2019 :  14:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never hoist launched my Capri, but I would imagine that you could use slings to hoist by.
I would use a spreader bar between the slings to keep too much compressive pressure laterally on the hull although the hull may be plenty strong enough, I just don't know and tend to err on the conservative side. A boat yard that does this all of the time may have a more lenient opinion on this.
I would also position them at the forward and aft bulkheads for maximum strength. I've lifted my boat off the trailer with jacks at these points to paint the hull.

Back to the threaded hole, mine is pretty yucky also and if I was intending to use it after all of this time, I think I would run a re-threading tap into it to clean it up and then inspect it again.
I think a re-threading tap is a little different than the original tap that was used to make the threaded hole. I have no idea where to get one or how much they cost, but I'd look into if I was going this route.

Good luck

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

Ljpotterm
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  17:12:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a steel plate made to replace the factory one. The shop drilled holes that match the last 2 keel bolts. They welded a 1” nut onto the plate and I bought a 1” eyebolt. I also had a custom lifting strap made with side straps that loop over the winches. Total for both was about $175
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page