Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Looking for a pop-top canvas enclosure!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sspencer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/08/2018 :  15:34:38  Show Profile
Hi all! I just purchased my first sailboat: A 1984 Catalina 25. My kids and I are just so excited. I grew up sailing with my Dad and can't wait to get he and myself back on the water. Anyway, the boat I acquired doesn't seem to have a pop-top enclosure. I see through my perusing through several other posts and online that they are hard to come by. I just wanted to put some new feelers out to see if anyone can help! Thank you much and so happy to be a part of this forum!

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  07:34:01  Show Profile
Take a look at CatalinaDirect.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/677/deck-covers.cfm

You can also call them, they are very helpful.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

sspencer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  10:19:15  Show Profile
Thank you very much for the reply! Yep, that is exactly what I am looking for! Any idea of cost? I was hoping to find one used. Does anyone know of any for sale by owner? Or have a pattern? I am a single mom and on a pretty tight budget. So excited to be on this forum!

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2018 :  18:41:25  Show Profile
Congrats on your boat purchase! Our C25’s are a well designed and forgiving boat for both those building their sailing skills and those with considerable expertise. And this forum is a great place where the two come together.

Without knowing you let me venture a suggestion. As many new owners often do, it is easy to initially focus on making things pretty and/or comfortable. That is important for sure but when on a limited budget (most of us) safety (crew and boat) and sailing requirements must be cosidered. A pop-top cover may appear to be a nice feature but before allocating your monies, go over your boat carefully and make a prioritized wish list starting with what is needed to make your boat safe to sail this first year, e.g. standing rigging, running rigging, pfd’s, ... Unless your boat is in pristine condition, things could add up fast and you will have to reprioritize your list each year...that’s part of the fun. In addition we seasonal sailors have to limit how many projects can be handled in a season and still get launched in reasonable time. With your list in hand start watching the sales or cruising craigslist and eBay. So-called sales often are offered around holidays but some of the best of the year come in March (Defender, WestMarine) and near Memorial Day. Equally important, join the forum....there’s a tremendous amount of knowledge here...and a friendly crowd. Welcome and best to you...

PS...look into making or purchasing screens for the cabin (and possibly forward) hatches. Much less expensive than the pop-top cover.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972

Edited by - glivs on 01/09/2018 18:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2018 :  08:57:22  Show Profile
I might not be able to count the number of C-25 ownwers who have never used their pop-top covers except maybe to see if they fit. I never even did the latter... It depends on your use of the boat--the cover is for overnight cruising, and not that important unless you're over 5'10" or so. The pop-top itself, sans cover, is nice at anchor or at the dock. For sailing, it stays down. (You may have noticed it's heavy enough to hurt somebody or some thing if jarred loose under way.) So as suggested above, consider where it belongs on your priority list. (Do you have a roller furler? Flat mains'l?
Balanced rudder? Nice cu$hion$? Butane stove (to replace the "curtain burner")? Chartplotter? Handheld VHF? Electronic flare (to eliminate expirations)?.........

Welcome to the community!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

rhbush
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2018 :  09:27:34  Show Profile
I have one and I would have to agree with the other people that posted, we have not used it. With that said, I think there is a posting in the tech tips here on this site that shows a drawing and all of the dimensions. Not exactly a pattern, but probably enough to make one if you wanted to.

Ralph Bush
1989 WK TR
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2018 :  22:34:36  Show Profile
Well I just happen to have two of them. Both in perfect shape and I can make you a killer deal. Send me a PM.

Mike

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

sspencer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2018 :  06:55:10  Show Profile
Thank you everyone for the kind words and welcomes! I think you probably have me pegged in the sense I am thinking about comfortability first (and probably shouldn’t)
I do picture myself and the kids staying on the boat this summer as much as possible. We are docking the boat at Toledo Beach marina which has many amenities for families. I have to take some time to get reacquainted with sailing and being on the water. This first summer we will be hanging around home base so I was just thinking about the best way to make the boat as comfy, livable, and as initially pleasing for the kiddos as soon as possible.
The boat is in good shape. I will have to attach a link to it so you all can see pics and maybe give me ideas of good updates!
Mike, I will PM you as soon as I figure out how!
Yes, the alcohol grill threw me for a loop! Where does one buy alcohol for a stove?
I am also looking to purchase cockpit cushions and a bug net for the companion way entrance.
Thanks everyone!
Go to Top of Page

sspencer
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2018 :  07:17:19  Show Profile
This is it!

https://reedyachtsales.com/Featured-Boat.php?Key=NjE5NDM5OQ
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:01:19  Show Profile
Keep in mind you can make a loose fitting pop-top cover and bug net combination by purchasing some bulk mosquito netting and attaching or sewing small fishing weights around the perimeter to hold it down.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Russ.Johnson
Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
833 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2018 :  12:23:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sspencer

Mike, I will PM you as soon as I figure out how!

Susan,
Welcome to the forum.
There are 2 ways to send a forum email.
Both methods require you to be logged into the forum.
A) Click the "email poster" icon in the header of the reply post.
B) Click the forum username "sailboat" to view the profile.
On the Profile page, click "Send an email".

Note: There have been reports of the forum email being blocked by spam filters.
It's always nice to either reply to a forum email or post here the email was sent/received.

Russ Johnson
2005 C250WB Hull 793
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2018 :  11:32:44  Show Profile
She looks great! A couple of comments:

- You can get "smokeless" stove alcohol at just about any marine store. Ordinary hardware store stuff likely isn't as good. That "Princess" pressurized alcohol stove is loved by a few but hated by more, and frequently replaced. Starting it without causing a low-order explosion is sort of an art--thus the moniker "curtain burner." I replaced mine with an Origo non-pressurized alcohol unit that fit in the same place, but is pricey. On my $+!nkp*+ I've switched to a portable butane stove (like this) that runs off canisters the size of spray paint cans. It lights electronically, is just like a gas stove, and is very inexpensive to buy. (The fuel is more expensive than alcohol, but I don't use it enough to worry.)

- It may be too late (or already taken care of), but I recommend storing the rudder indoors during the winter. Moisture in the head, which is cored with wood, can freeze, expand and split it, allowing more moisture into the core--a pathway to no good. Lots of us have replaced the original with newer, balanced designs ("power steering")--some because the bottom of the old one snapped off right at the lower pintle.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/13/2018 11:38:48
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2018 :  11:45:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Russ.Johnson

...It's always nice to either reply to a forum email or post here the email was sent/received.
When Russ says "reply", don't reply directly to the e-mail--that goes into the association's bit-bucket. Send an email to the writer's address given in the one you received from the association.

The whole idea here is to facilitate private e-mails without showing users' addresses online.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 01/13/2018 :  16:09:54  Show Profile
Beautiful boat...and a great goal for the summer! Enjoy.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2018 :  12:35:48  Show Profile
Congrats on your new C25!

In the summer in Maryland I sleep on the boat frequently, and with the pop top up, I usually have no problems with flying insects. When there are biting bugs, I use a net screen made of 2 lacy 7'x9' (or 8'x'10'?) curtains sewn together along the 9' edge. That makes a 9'x14' (or 10'x16" ?) piece of light netting that I can drape over the entire pop top and companionway and tie closed around the mast with a string. The net curtains were under $10 each at a second-hand store.

In cold weather, when cruising with buddies to a marina on the bay that has electric power, I make use of my vinyl pop-top cover that zips closed around the mast and attaches with snaps onto the cabin top. I use a small electric heater with shore power. The vinyl cover and heater makes the boat very warm (and humid) on freezing nights. I see that your new boat has 110V shore power also. And you already have the snaps for the pop top cover that I can see in the photos of your boat's foredeck.

When it is raining on warm days, I prefer to close the pop top and not use the vinyl cover. One issue with the vinyl pop top cover is that I must dry it off before storing it away, while the cabin top dries itself off after a rain shower, of course.

Depending on how often you and the kids will be hanging out on the boat in rainy weather, you may want to maximize the cabin space with the pop top up and with a vinyl cover with screens. The cost is over $300, unless you get a good deal on one. You could modify the closed vinyl cover that does not come with screens by adding rectangles of screen to cutouts, if that's what you would like. I must say, however, if it starts to rain, I just close up the boat and go home!

But a cheaper and probably better solution to have a comfortable time on a C25 during a rain shower is the temporary installation of a large rectangular plastic tarp over the cabin and cockpit. Such a rain cover adds dry seating and a sense of roominess when you are stuck on the boat without being able to sail. I have a 9'x12' tarp for that purpose, also. It is held up by the boom and hangs over the lifelines on port and starboard. Some marina neighbors use a tarp or canvas cover that is positioned with horizontal PVC tubes. Costs only $15-20.

A previous owner of my boat acquired a blue sunbrella companionway and cabin top cover that had never been used. I always close up the boat with that in place. It is good to prevent drips through the hatch boards onto the steps. I like to use it with the pop top down on rainy days, held open at the bottom, to send a breeze into the cabin. Cost is considerable, but this item has lasted for 12 years so far on my boat.

Those are some ideas about boat covers.

My recommendations for airiness, dryness, and roominess at the dock or at anchor:
  • Make a big, wide, net screen for bugs

• Purchase a big, wide plastic tarp for rain or sun

• Use the money saved for other things you need

I use one cover nearly every time I sail, and that is the bimini, which is the folding sun shade over the cockpit. It seems your boat does not have one, and the summer sun in Ohio gets really hot, like it does here in Maryland! You can have a bimini custom made for your boat.

Your boat appears to have excellent sails and rigging, but as others have noted, there may be important items to buy, other than covers, to make your sailing safe and fun for all.

Happy sailing!

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Nukey
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2018 :  11:22:54  Show Profile
Did you ever get a cover? I have one that's in great shape in South Haven, MI.

Ed
Adjouned
#2820 '82 TR/SK Lake Michigan, South Haven, MI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page