Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Auroras this weekend
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/15/2017 :  09:36:38  Show Profile
Spaceweather.com and University of Alaska @ Fairbanks are predicting high likelihood of aurora this Saturday and Sunday nights not only in the higher latitudes (N50-60°+), but also in the mid-latitudes.

According to UA's Geophysical Institute, the probability of planetary constant Kp in the 6-7 range is > 25%, especially on Sunday night.

While folks in Canada and those along the Canadian border (VT, ME, NYS, MI, MN, ND, MT, ID, WA) often experience aurora, this time those a little further south (MA, CT, OH, IN, IL, IA, WY, OR) have a good chance of seeing northern lights between 10PM - 4AM.

According the Spaceweather, "...STRONG SOLAR FLARE AND CME: After days of suspenseful quiet, huge sunspot AR2665 finally erupted on July 14th (0209 UT), producing a powerful M2-class solar flare. The explosion was underway for more than two hours and hurled a bright coronal mass ejection (CME) toward Earth. Geomagnetic storms and high-latitude auroras are likely when the CME arrives this weekend. Visit Spaceweather.com for images and updates ..."

If you're overnight sailing Sunday night, keep your eyes peeled toward the North Star.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/15/2017 09:42:47

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2017 :  12:40:46  Show Profile
I've seen the Northern Lights twice and what a show
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2017 :  16:04:09  Show Profile
When I lived in far North Alberta in 1960, through the winter nights we would have incredible displays of the Aurora. They would look like multi-colored curtains across 1/2 the sky and they would appear to shimmer. Beautiful sight.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/15/2017 :  18:53:42  Show Profile
We had a show back in the early 2000s during the prior solar maximum that created auroras as far south as FL. It was a full sky of reds, blues and greens that knocked my socks off here in CT. We're not expecting that kind of show during this cycle but you may see some lights. Keep an eye out.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2017 :  05:02:37  Show Profile
Did anybody see the auroras last night? I was out for an evening stroll at 11:00 PM ET but the city lights were too bright along with a partial overcast. The news reported some sightings about 100 miles north of me in Western MA. What do they say, location, location, location?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2017 :  05:16:19  Show Profile
quote:
I was out for an evening stroll at 11:00 PM ET but the city lights were too bright along with a partial overcast.

Past my bedtime City lights really put the kibosh on a lot of my celestial viewing. In this case I envy those that live out in the country.
Edit.
The weather channel just said it reached down to about the central NY area.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/17/2017 13:20:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page