Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Racing Forum
 Chesapeake Bay National Championship (and cruise)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
4844 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2016 :  16:29:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have never held a C25/250/Capri National Regatta on the Chesapeake Bay. I asked the first Chesapeake Bay member who came to mind if he'd be interested in it during the summer of 2017, and he's excited about it. I'd like to hear if other C25/250/Capri owners would also be interested.

My thinking is to start off with racing, followed, of course, by a party, and then, since you'd be here in one of the great American cruising grounds, followed by a Chesapeake Bay cruise.

I'd like to see the boats race non-spin, because not everyone has or can fly a spinnaker, and more sailors will be able to be competitive. If you need crew, I believe we can find them for you. Members who want to participate, but can't bring their own boats could serve as crew, or as race committee, if they'd like. We can arrange to help owners launch their boats and raise their masts. Boats can moor in Annapolis harbor for $25.00 per night, or anchor in Annapolis Harbor, and taxi boats can transport you to and from shore. You can use showers at the dockmaster's office.

If you'd be interested, let us know. Also, see if other C25/250/Capri owners at your sailing venue might want to attend as well, perhaps convoying with you.

It should be great fun and an opportunity to socialize with other Catalina sailors and to sail a wonderful and historic bay.

This post is to explore interest in a Chesapeake Bay Regatta and cruise. If enough people are interested in this event, I'll submit a formal proposal.

Steve Milby C&C 35 Landfall ("Captiva Wind"); Cal 25 ("Fahrvergnügen")
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 06/02/2016 18:08:45

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
554 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2016 :  17:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your interest.

This is a good place to gather comments from the Chesapeake Bay.
Once you have a hosting club, venue, and other details, then consider submitting a bid.
Please review my post on the Racing forum.

Invitation to bid: 2017 National Regatta
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29907

Thank you, Russ Johnson
Commodore

Russ Johnson, Commodore 2009-2017 (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
612 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2016 :  09:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm definitely interested. Could possibly see if we could arrange something with the Eastport Yacht Club.

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4844 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2016 :  09:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

I'm definitely interested. Could possibly see if we could arrange something with the Eastport Yacht Club.

I agree. I think Eastport would be our first choice. Beautiful facility, and they usually invite racers to a party after the race. All they would have to do is give us a separate start in one of their annual regattas. They'll usually give a separate start to any one design fleet that can bring 4-5 boats to the starting line.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4844 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2016 :  10:42:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't know how to race, we can assign an experienced racer to crew for you, and help you start, help you find your way around the race course, and help you avoid any rules issues. At our races you'll see skilled racers, casual racers and cruisers. One of our older cruising members raced in the Cleveland Regatta with his cruise-equipped boat equipped with a wind generator, just for the fun of it.

I don't need a firm committment from anyone to participate next year, because that's too far in the future to ask you to make a firm committment, but I need to know if there are enough people who are seriously considering it, and who would like to attend to justify me in putting together a bid and submitting it to the National Association. Once I put in a bid, there will be a National Regatta next year, whether one boat or thirty boats show up. (I think I already have one boat. Rob is excited about it. If we can get just a few more, we'll have a good event. If we can get lots more, it'll be a great event! )

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
612 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2016 :  20:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could probably get a number of people to help with setups if trailering and random to-dos. I mean that's what we're about anyway!

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4844 Posts

Response Posted - 08/13/2016 :  08:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two local groups that are willing to give the National Association a one design class start in their already planned regattas for next year.

A sailing club organizes a series of regattas every year. Their Commodore is eager to help us. We could probably select one of their events during the summer that would meet your preference with regard to the month.

The other offer is from the organizer of the annual Good Old Boat Regatta. The GOB Regatta is held every year during the Annapolis Sailboat Show, which is certainly one of the premier sailboat shows held around the country, around the first weekend in October. If you've never attended it, it's a great opportunity to attend the many free seminars, meet celebrity sailors, and see all the newest and best sailboats and gear on the market.

The GOB Regatta is a showcase of great old boats whose design is at least 30 years old, and it's a pleasure to see them up close, sailing and racing.

There are other possibilities, but I think the GOB Regatta is a very attractive event, coupled with the boat show and a C25/250/Capri fleet cruise on the Bay.

But, an event can only happen if the members want it to happen. There are almost enough members sailing the Annapolis-Potomac River areas to justify an event, if they want to participate. If a few others are willing to trailer to the event, the numbers would almost surely justify having it. It's up to all of you. Let us know if you can attend the event next year, and if the timing of the GOB Regatta is good for you, or if you would need to schedule the regatta in some other month. Our choices of a date for the event are somewhat limited.

The local organizations are already organizing these events for next year, so, if we're going to have an event, we have to get started soon.

Some folks think C25/250/Capri owners can't be interested in an event like this. If they're right, it's likely that nobody will ever try to organize another one, and you might never have another opportunity to attend one. I hope to hear from you.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 08/13/2016 08:36:14
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3142 Posts

Response Posted - 08/14/2016 :  15:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 years ago I raced on the Chesapeake and spent time in Annapolis. It is a wonderful venue and I recommend that everyone who can possibly make it to go. Just to see the multi-million dollar power yachts and the Naval College is worth the trip! They don't have bad seafood there either!

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
7358 Posts

Response Posted - 08/15/2016 :  09:30:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And on the Chesapeake, it's been said you could anchor in a different river or creek every night for the rest of your life! Whether that's slight hyperbole or not, across the bay from Annapolis are some great little ports to visit like St. Michaels, Oxford, Chestertown, Rock Hall... Just bring a fly swatter!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
612 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  04:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the GOB sounds like a good fit. Who's organizing that one? As I've said, I'd definitely be interested.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4844 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  06:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll organize it if a few people say they're interested in participating. The best part of any fleet race or cruise is meeting other members face-yo-face, chatting, exchanging ideas, learning new skills and enjoying the Bay, and all it has to offer, in tandem.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

646 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2017 :  19:00:12  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So maybe it is worth seeing if any members are doing any racing and with whom and where.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

*The bird is a HOT link

Edited by - Peregrine on 07/01/2017 19:01:31
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

575 Posts

Response Posted - 07/07/2017 :  08:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
since my boat is not class legal, i'll gladly crew with anyone.

Todd Lewis
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page