Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 OT- Chromebook Review
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/22/2011 :  05:17:39  Show Profile
Anybody tried one of these yet?

Kinda what I've been waiting on... for some time now. 3G, Google, and the Cloud for about $500.

I've been quite happy with my Samsung smart phone and droid. GPS and maps and just about everything I could ask for..

I just had to get some stronger glasses...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  08:41:40  Show Profile
http://www.google.com/chromebook/

Some interesting stuff, including...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Chromebooks run the first consumer operating system designed from the ground up to defend against the ongoing threat of malware and viruses. Chromebooks use the principle of “defense in depth” to provide multiple layers of protection, including sandboxing, data encryption, and verified boot. With web storage, your email, photos, documents, and data are stored in the cloud, even if you lose your Chromebook.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">If that's true, then your primary concern is somebody hacking the cloud rather than hacking your computer. I predict Google's cloud is the hacker's next Holy Grail.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  08:50:49  Show Profile
Not "next", it already is. And not just any hackers, but foreign governments with very deep pockets and very smart people.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2011 :  08:58:54  Show Profile
Just remember, as Patrick Stewart once said, "if it isn't an iPad, its crap".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2011 :  06:09:41  Show Profile
I wouldnt keep anything valuable in the cloud. Nor would i use it as a primary backup. Good place to keep things... But it is all beta right now...8 sec boot.

I use droid right now..and the grlfrnd uses apple..

She is using mine all the time...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2011 :  11:45:08  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The clouds fly a lot lower than most people think.

True, google, amazon, and many others are obviously cloud based, however, many hundreds of thousands of online businesses are cloud based but that's not necessarily apparent to the public.

Who's gonna backup the cloud ?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2011 :  14:27:54  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I'm waiting for the Asus Transformer Prime to come out next month. I'm slowly learning Android through a study group at work. It's quite likely going to become the platform we use for our equipment, so I'll have to learn it anyway. My manager's manager has said he'll purchase them for anyone who wants one (at about $500 a pop) so I might be getting mine for free. I have some reservations there, so I might just purchase my own instead. In the interim they've provided some of us with Beagle boards, which are based on the next generation OMAP chips we already use, and there's also Panda boards that are based on the gen V chips that are being delayed by TI for another six months. These are completely no frills development boards, they don't even come with memory, you have to add a memory card to them. They do have lots of ports on them though, and support DVI video although you can just connect a VGA through an adaptor.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  06:03:23  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Way to nerdy David

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2011 :  13:26:29  Show Profile
I'm always inclined for the proof in the pudding on new hardware or software. The pre-release hype on both sides of the Mac/Everybody else line always makes the next release the best in history.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2011 :  12:38:50  Show Profile
Kindle Fire and my HTC MT4G are both android based. The fire is designed to place content in the cloud,like music,movies,books etc. I run AVG free on both.

If you run 3g doesn't it cost you a data plan monthly? Might be better to tether to your existing cell or buy a much faster 4g hotspot like my friend did on his C 27. I have a wireless hot spot with TMO which runs my Kindle with no additional charge. I would not pay for a 3g plan.

How much cloud space comes with it? I get 5 gigs with the kindle, can pay for more.

Everything is going to the cloud and much of what you already do is cloud based, think web based email, streaming video etc.

Do not fear the cloud!

Edited by - PCP777 on 11/27/2011 12:50:24
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 11/27/2011 :  13:35:11  Show Profile
AT&T, and maybe others, lets you get the bigger data package and tethering on a monthly basis when you want it - $20 a month instead of $120 a year that may not be used. That said, with the frequency of major data breaches, occasional sever crashes and often enough finding myself in areas with no cell signal, I"m not ready for the cloud. AT&T is spotty in the area around my marina, but the other major carriers are nonexistent. Check coverage maps and you will see that "4g" coverage is minimal for all carriers and will remain so for several more years, so choose your carrier wisely. AT&T's 3g and 4g is dramatically faster than Verizon's equivalent (could that be related to Verizon's CDMA technology?), but that only matters if you're are covered.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/28/2011 :  05:40:19  Show Profile
&lt;&lt; If you run 3g doesn't it cost you a data plan monthly? &gt;&gt;

I'm guessing yes.. that's a downside.

&lt;&lt; Don't fear the cloud. &gt;&gt;

I don't fear fazebook, but I don't think it is a good idea either. Just don't get it.. bad image interface, and bad content. ( and they get to datamine all the content. )

Remember when all this computer stuff started and we were in the cloud? ( Teletype and Mainframe ) It all comes around..
Anything Googles comes out with is worth watching. I'm thinkin Skype type interface with a thin pad so you can see me trying to communicate. I'd probably add Groucho glasses and a cigar...

But I digress.. Yepper..SHGF gets a Fire this Christmas and I get 2 Marelon winches....

Seems all this convergence technology is diverging. Thanks for the suggestion Powers.. I'll have a look at the hotspot option.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page