Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Admiralty Forum
 Nice photo of Fahrvergnugen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/13/2017 :  06:31:54  Show Profile
This is a photo taken recently by a Spinsheet photographer of my Cal 25, Fahrvergnugen, getting her windows washed during a race around government marks. The bridge in the background is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge at Annapolis. The NE winds were about 18-25 kts and the seas were relatively flat, since we were in the lee of the eastern shore. We were flying the #2 jib (135%) and a single reef, and our heading to the next mark had us on a close reach, slightly shy of closehauled. During that leg, she was able to get on plane probably a half dozen times for several seconds at a time. The crewmember at the stern was very actively playing the mainsheet traveler up and down to keep her on her feet in the gusts.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  06:52:28  Show Profile
Great pic Steve. Were you on the Annapolis side of the bridge?

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  07:15:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Great pic Steve. Were you on the Annapolis side of the bridge?

With NE winds, I'd say yes--probably around Kent Island on the other side of the bay.

Great shot!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2017 :  09:34:20  Show Profile
Dave is right. We were south of the bridge, on the Annapolis side.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  06:38:13  Show Profile
I only wish my lowly C25 had a traveler which could be adjusted in any situation other than during a tack!

Beautiful picture of a lovely sailboat. Is that in the September Soinsheet?

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  06:41:54  Show Profile
When we sailed from Rock Hall to Annapolis and turned to head up into "Ego Alley" we got blasted and almost broached (23' Precision) if we hadn't had the centerboard down it would have been a disaster. Is there always a sort of Venturi effect there?

Derek Crawford
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  06:53:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

I only wish my lowly C25 had a traveler which could be adjusted in any situation other than during a tack!

Beautiful picture of a lovely sailboat. Is that in the September Soinsheet?

I don't think it's in the September issue, but don't know for sure. The crew playing the traveler found it somewhere on Spinsheet's website and forwarded it to me.

The C25 traveler is fully functional, but extremely awkward to use, especially singlehanded. The only way I could make it work was by assigning crew to sit aft and use it. Derek Crawford had a mod that he used that was neat. He led the control lines forward, so he could adjust the traveler when he was sitting forward in the cockpit. My Cal also has that system, but I seldom singlehand it, so I don't use it, and assign crew to use the traveler.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:01:40  Show Profile
Ego Alley in a Precision 23? Sorta out of place among the "real man's boats"! (...the ones with twin 650 hp Mercs and straight-pipes.)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  07:04:04  Show Profile
quote:

When we sailed from Rock Hall to Annapolis and turned to head up into "Ego Alley" we got blasted and almost broached (23' Precision) if we hadn't had the centerboard down it would have been a disaster. Is there always a sort of Venturi effect there?

I don't think that's a common occurrence there. It was probably an errant gust. That is a common occurrence, however, when you enter the West River, south of Annapolis, heading into Galesville. It seems like every time I enter the West River, the wind pipes up big-time, hence the name "Galesville." My friend was once at the helm of my C&C 35 as we entered the West River, and we were rail down and way over the boat's hull speed. You should have seen his grin!

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  19:33:19  Show Profile
Steve, you have my favorite Cal 25 -- flush deck and that is a GREAT pic! Any more convenient locations for the traveler?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2017 :  20:52:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Steve, you have my favorite Cal 25 -- flush deck and that is a GREAT pic! Any more convenient locations for the traveler?

Considering the fact she's nearing her 60th birthday, the old girl still looks pretty racy.

With crew, I think the traveler works fairly well where it is, across the seats about 2 1/2 feet forward of the transom. When singlehanding, it's a handful to steer any boat through a tack or gybe, release the jib on one side and tail it in and trim it on the other, and reset the traveler as well. I reset the traveler just before beginning the tack. That way, all I have to do during the tack is steer and tack the jib. The mainsail is self-tending, and it starts to draw as soon as the boat is on it's new heading. You lose very little by resetting the traveler before starting the tack or gybe. In fact, by doing it that way I really think I can tack and gybe the boat singlehanded almost as efficiently as with crew. We tend to think of only the disadvantages of sailing singlehanded, but on a small boat with a small cockpit and a long tiller that swings back and forth, there's some advantage to being able to move freely and work the boat without having others in the way. When racing with crew, I often find that I can't move the tiller as much as necessary because it's impeded by someone's knee or butt.

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 09/15/2017 21:03:18
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2017 :  08:52:50  Show Profile
I had to cut about 8" off my tiller because my genoa trimmer (all 250 lbs of him) complained he always went home with a bruised butt. It didn't affect performance one iota.

Derek Crawford
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2017 :  09:44:57  Show Profile
quote:

I had to cut about 8" off my tiller because my genoa trimmer (all 250 lbs of him) complained he always went home with a bruised butt. It didn't affect performance one iota.
...particularly with the balanced rudder I recall you having--much less leverage needed. And you can always add a tiller extension for longer reach when single-handing.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 09/18/2017 :  13:18:38  Show Profile
Great pic, Steve. Thanks for sharing. :)

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2018 :  17:22:11  Show Profile
A couple of our members have expressed a fondness for the old Cal 25s. My Chesapeake Bay Cal 25 fleet made the cover of Spinsheet magazine this month. Here's a link to the cover photo. This was taken at the "Hangover Bowl" frostbite race on Jan 1 2017. Sadly, I'm home in Ohio for the winter, and missing all the winter fun.

https://issuu.com/spinsheetpublishingcompany/docs/jan_ss_2018

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page