Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dinghies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mulvaneym7
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/28/2021 :  06:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
Looking for recommendations on dinghies. The one that came with the boat is struggling a little- it's old and rocky and sort of falling apart. I'm looking for suggestions specifically and then a general question about inflatable vs rigid. I assumed largely that I would get a rigid but then I keep seeing the inflatables pop up as an option. I would be storing it on a dinghy rack and using it to not get far out. The most important thing is stability and fitting people in. The wife is a little nervous about riding on them and so the more stability the better. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  09:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Others with much more experience than I will I am sure opine, however my experience has been that RIB inflatables are most stable, but heavy and take gobs of deck space on our small vessels. Inflatables may be next for stability and lighter but tough to row, and then the rigid like a Walker Bay are relatively light and easier to row but may be a bit less stable for at least initially stepping in too. If you have friends with any type I would ask them about what their experience has been and/or to try using it so you can then determine which direction to pursue.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you plan to use it? Do you need it just to get out to a mooring or are you looking to take it with you on trips. If you plan on taking it then are you going to tow it or put it on deck? Motor or muscle for power?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

mulvaneym7
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  10:47:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will just to get out to the mooring (maybe 100 feet) and we'll be using muscle power. It seems like there's not much downside to an inflatable right, except lasts less long and needs to be pumped up some?
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  11:35:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my experience with inflatables I will give you fair warning that they are extremely difficult to row and make any kind of headway into any kind of wind. You can easily get into trouble. The Walker Bay or similar would be my choice if it's to be paddled with passengers.

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Others have covered the major dinghy considerations I'm aware of.  I have no experience with inflatables, but I suppose I'd try one if I came upon it for free, or close to it. 

I strongly prefer rigid dinghies which can be sailed, rowed, or motored. 

Regarding carrying on foredeck, an 8' rigid is a very tight fit, and a bit awkward to get up there.

Nesting dinghies look interesting, although I can't think of any which are mass produced.  If I ever get around to building another dink, I'd be tempted to try a nesting design.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2021 :  18:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also consider transportation. Everything noted above I agree with but if your situation demands it, inflatables certainly offer ease of portability over rigids.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2021 :  11:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious if anyone has tried on of the folding boats for this? Seems like it could be stowed below, just never had one and unsure of their stability.

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/29/2021 :  12:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it really matter how "stowable" the dinghy is? Most people tow their dinks when cruising in bays or lakes. Unless you have a dinghy davit, it's usually a struggle to haul it aboard and it occupies scarce space on a small boat. Leave it in the water. If it rains, you can bail it out with a scoop made from an empty plastic bottle with a formed-in handle. When your goal is to relax, make things easy for yourself.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2021 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to remember about a dinghy with an engine (gas, electric or propane) is that it’s a motor vehicle or a “vessel”.

That means that it requires a state boat registration in most states along with the basic safety gear required on your main boat.

These include: current flares, a sound producing device, a throwable float, lifejackets for captain and all crew, navigation lights if used at night, a dewatering device and now an automatic shutoff lanyard for the engine.

One day, I was sitting on my boat while the USCG boarded a guy’s dink as he ferried his guests literally 300 yards from the mooring field to the boat club docks. He had no flares, no throwable and no whistle and was given a ticket for $100+. Not a fun day for that guy.

I’ll never forget that lesson as long as I live.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  07:07:47  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re:

"One day, I was sitting on my boat while the USCG boarded a guy’s dink as he ferried his guests literally 300 yards from the mooring field to the boat club docks.  He had no flares, no throwable and no whistle and was given a ticket for $100+.  Not a fun day for that guy.  I’ll never forget that lesson as long as I live."

Holy crap!  Thanks for passing that along, Bruce.  I registered my homemade dinghy primarily to help establish ownership and discourage casual theft.  (I also carved the state-issued S/N in a hidden location in addition to on the transom.)  I hadn't thought about all the added legal requirements incurred the moment one puts even a trolling motor on a dinghy.

Now I'm thinking about making up a basic kit to meet USCG minimum requirements, stuffed in a small duffel bag which can easily be tossed in whatever small boat I'm using.

And I gotta say, unless the dinghy skipper was doing something incredibly irresponsible, that coastie deserved an award for 'Petty Officer Of The Day.'

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  08:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now I'm thinking about making up a basic kit to meet USCG minimum requirements, stuffed in a small duffel bag which can easily be tossed in whatever small boat I'm using.

Leon when I had my inflatable I kept everything in an insulated drink thermos. I could fit a flag, small flares, whistle, registration etc. into it. Everything stays dry and it floats! Just clipped it to the boat.

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a "hybrid" between hard and inflatable (besides rigid bottom, or RIB) dinks--the Walker Bay with its optional inflatable collar. I haven't been on one, but can imagine it having advantages from both types--stability and for rowing.

It also would seem to be a little "kinder" on your hull than a hard dink as you approach and tie up. RIBs are somewhat the same, but generally a lot more $$ and probably heavier--designed to be planing boats. (I think the Walker Bay has a wheel built into back of the keel for easy moving by one person.)

If you go straight inflatable, get one with something that makes the bottom rigid (such as aluminum or plastic slats. Mine had heavy epoxy-impregnated plywood panels that I replaced with rigid 2" polyethylene foam boards--much lighter. Also look for an inflatable "keel" that improves directional stability when rowing. If the rack is very exposed to sun, spend a little more for Hypalon rather than PVC, or get a cover for PVC.

I'd say an 8'6" like mine is good for 3 people when rowing--4 only in very calm conditions for short distances. 10' accommodates 4 more comfortably.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  10:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scott,

Your USCG kit in a sealed canister on a leash is an excellent idea!  I have an assortment of dry bags and boxes for use in small boats which I was considering.  I'll give your suggestion some thought.  A screwed on lid seems more water tight and easier to open than what I have now, and the additional flotation would be a bonus.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page