Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Outboard steering from the tiller
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/16/2021 :  21:36:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone
Some years back someone posted some pics of rigging steerage of the outboard from the tiller. Anyone know where I could find how to accomplish that? (I'm a capable fabricator).
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/17/2021 :  08:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arlyn Stewart, a past owner of a C-250, is known as the father of "Arlyn's Soft Link"--a system where the rudder pulls the motor to one side and a bungee pulls it to the other. One criterion of his was quick and easy connection and disconnection between the rudder and the motor. In my experience, for most motoring you only want to steer with the rudder--the motor makes steering too touchy. A link is mostly useful for tight maneuvering.

Search the archives for the exact phrase "soft link" and the author Arlyn Stewart, and you'll get a week's worth of reading.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/17/2021 08:32:09
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  19:46:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the tiller with an attachment to the Honda outboard. The auto helm can also work with tiller with or without attached to outboard. Has worked for many years. Had difficulty when leaving or approaching dock or slip with wind and current. This made single handing safer. I'll post it if you like.

Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/31/2021 :  20:32:55  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re: "I have the tiller with an attachment to the Honda outboard... I'll post it if you like."

I'd like to see how you did it.  I've considered rigging up some sort of tie rod.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2021 :  20:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll do some pictures to see what I have for connections. Boat is still on trailer. Getting it ready for launching after May 1st. The 42nd launch.

Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2021 :  21:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweetcraft - yes, I'd like to see the pics.
Thanks
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2021 :  13:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This shows the arm attached to the tiller with the other attached to the bracket (which I made from bimini hardware). Outboard with remote setup has no handle. The clamping adjuster is relaxed when arm is being used. The arm to the tiller is designed to adjust so rudder and outboard are same. The quick release connectors are air hose fittings. The attached arm can be quickly be attached or removed. I'm having to relearn how to attach pictures. It's been 6 years, wow.

Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 04/05/2021 :  13:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[img][https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/services/mediarender/THISLIFE/008008454929/media/1696149792981103/small/1439523395/enhance/img]
Sailing the C25

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2021 :  08:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting thread. I certainly understand the advantages when powering in tight places, but would think for most conditions the weight of the engine would distract from the feel of the helm. If used only when in tight places it would seem a bit of a pain to engage and disengage. Unless you have a long distance from slip to open water in relatively tight channel it seems a bit of overkill. What am I missing?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2021 :  10:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are occasions when you need to be able to back down in very close quarters while turning the boat very sharply, but you don't have much room for the boat to move backwards.

You need to be able to turn the motor independently of the rudder to do so. You can put the motor's tiller hard over to use prop's thrust, in reverse, to pull the transom abruptly sideways. To maximize the movement of the transom in that direction, but minimize any movement of the boat backwards, you can put the rudder's tiller hard over in the opposite direction from the motor's tiller. That points the skinny edge of the rudder toward the prop, which minimizes it's resistance to the prop's thrust, but it turns the flat blade crossways to the centerline of the boat, which maximizes it's resistance to backward movement of the boat. Thus, it enables you to turn the boat almost in place.

You don't usually know in advance that you'll need to use that technique. You suddenly realize that a strong puff of wind has pushed the boat into a bad place at an inopportune moment, and you need to respond quickly to deal with it.

But I don't understand the advantage of tying steering with the motor and tiller in tandem. When you're sailing, you steer entirely with the rudder. When under power, if you steer by the engine's tiller, you can let go of the rudder and it will swing freely in line with the boat's direction of travel. In that case, you can either steer with the engine's tiller or the rudder's tiller, as you choose. When backing under power, by connecting the motor and rudder in tandem, you disable yourself from using them independently to maneuver the boat in close quarters.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2021 :  10:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Steve. I don't see this as something I would use. I never had a problem with using 2 hands in a tight situation. One for the engine and one for the tiller. The advantage is that you also have the throttle in your hand to control short bursts of power and forward/reverse.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2021 :  11:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, this maneuver sounds complicated, but it easy to learn, and it's a good skill to have when you need it.

Take your boat to a place where it's sheltered from wind and current, so you can see it's effect.

Stop the boat. Push the engine tiller hard over in one direction. Push the rudder tiller hard over in the opposite direction. Put the engine in reverse and apply moderate throttle. Watch how the boat turns sharply without much backwards movement.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2021 :  21:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience was that under power just going somewhere, any movement of the motor created "oversteering"--I only ever used the rudder and left the motor positioned so if I took my hand off the tiller, it would center itself for a straight line--sorta like an imboard. I've had occasion to steer by motor only while under way, and the response was too exaggerated except, as suggested, in tight quarters such as maneuvering into a slip. To do that, I simply used both tillers--motor and rudder for the few seconds needed to execute a sharp turn. I didn't and wouldn't hook them together. To each his own.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2021 :  20:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The use of the tiller to outboard is only for maneuvering in large marinas where there's limited space to take assigned slip and then leaving during wind and current factors. Since I have single handed at times and with inexperienced family too in the Northwest San Juan and Gulf Islands. The steering assist has sure has reduced stress. The idea really came from power boats that have an outboard for backup attached to the main steering. This is a follow up of an inquire for the shared idea. The outboard has all remote controls so that you don't have to look back to start or operate. The steering arm just has one pin to attach to the tiller and is lifted away when desired. The autohelm also has a pin and can steer both rudder and outboard with no noticeable difference. The Honda 15hp also has the hydraulic lift which is a plus but the outboard turning clamp has to be secured. It's supposed to snow this weekend so the Snowbirds 42 season has to wait.

Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2021 :  22:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input, per Steve I'm going to practice the technique he described. My situation is that I have the boat moored in Brenton's cove in Newport RI, I have quite a few close mooring neighbors. Often I have to round up with a headwind right at me. If I don't hit the mark exactly the wind takes the boat. I often have to do a lot of stressful jockying to stay away from the neighbors and head back at the pickup. My thought was that 'total' tiller steerage would make things easier. I may still try it as long as I can easily dis-able it.
Again, thanks for the input!
Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page