Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Prada/America Cup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/13/2021 :  10:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what is happening "down under" I thought that racing was continuing this past week but haven't seen anything to confirm.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2021 :  11:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.americascup.com/

The Prada Cup finals have begun between Italy (Luna Rosa) and the UK (INEOS) to decide who challenges NZ. INEOA got stuck in the mud at the start of the first race yesterday (today) and lost by about a mile. The second was closer, but LR took it, too. 2-0 Luna Rosa. Two more races tonight (our time--tomorrow there) starting at about 10:30 (EST), televised on NBC Sports Network. You can see them live and past races on Youtube (check the site above).

These guys are beating at about 40 kts into 11 kt. winds. When it pipes up a little, they can top 50--the chase boats don't have a chance, so they sort of circle around in the middle of the course. The most amazing thing to me is that one leeward foil holding that 75' hull and huge rig up in the air with the hydrodynamic forces on it. But if one of these monohulls comes off their foils ("gets stuck"), they drop down to 6-8 kts. and watch the competition go over the horizon. That's how ENEOS's first race started yesterday--it was over before they got across the starting line.

One thing you don't see much of is a boat spoiling the competitor's air... If a boat finds itself "shadowed", a quick tack can put it a hundred yards away before the other boat can respond. Outside of the starting box (where the real fun happens), it seems the only tactics are for speed--they forget about the competitor and are rarely very close to each other.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/13/2021 11:34:10
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2021 :  10:08:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave. I missed the last races because the Forum was down. Looks like it will be a repeat of 2000 when NZ beat Prada.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2021 :  21:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know virtually nothing about NZ at this point, while Italy has been upping their game and improving their boat race by race. In the pre-Cup races, UK was the star, including over NZ. Now Italy is out-performing and out-running UK (so far). In something this new, competitive experience is priceless. I'll put my (play) money on Prada to close out the Prada Cup, and take the big prize prize from NZ to set up a Cup series on the Med.)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2021 :  22:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It’s over, 7-1, Luna Rossa goes against NZ starting 6 March. LR appeared faster and better tactically and in execution. Eneos never got the heavier air they had thrived on. Should be a good cup series.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  11:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the first two races for The Cup will begin around 10pm EST Tuesday, 3/9 (4pm Wed. NZ time). I believe it'll be live on NBCSN as well as Facebook, Youtube and Americascup.com. It'll be interesting to see if the relatively untested Kiwis will be competitive with the well-oiled Luna Rossa team.

In the round-robin before Christmas, NZ lost only to American Magic on the first day (how things change), and won all five of their other matches, including two over Luna Rossa. But LR seems to have upped their game significantly, especially in lighter air where dropping off the foils just once can be fatal. And they consistently out-dueled the Brits in the starting area for the Prada cup--I only remember one start being basically even (which didn't turn out to be nearly good enough for the Brits).

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/07/2021 11:36:04
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2021 :  15:30:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read yesterday that the score is 1-1.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2021 :  22:35:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2-2 as of a few minutes ago. We thought Italy had an advantage in light air, but tonight didn't work that way. NZ is faster, especially downwind, which for these boats, is just lighter air. (Their apparent wind is always ahead when they're sailing at 30-50 kts.) If NZ avoids mistakes at the start, they'll probably prevail.

I have to say, I'm mystified... Downwind, they're sailing much faster than the true wind, meaning they're sailing totally on an apparent wind created by their own speed. Is this "perpetual motion"??

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/11/2021 22:44:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page