Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 poptop tent and ventillation /heat buildup?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmwtourer
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/04/2021 :  19:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
question about poptop tent... should it have screens (mosquito net) or is it always clear plastic "windows", in that case I would assume a heat buildup in the cabin, what do you do for ventillation?

Serge Pelletier
#161 1977 Catalina 25 swing keel
Serenity

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2021 :  14:03:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine has screens with the windows. Very nice!

If I remember correctly, the screens are sewn in-place and vinyl windows, sewn only at the top like a hinge, roll up/down to open/close.

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/06/2021 :  23:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, being from Canada and all....... shouldn't you be trying to keep the heat in...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2021 :  07:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Serge...
I'm going on memory here but as I recall, screens with the poptop covers was an option and so are not integral to all covers.

Not sure your intent or whether you are considering weather or privacy but some of us only deploy the poptop on rare occasion. Screen coverings for the cabin and forward hatches, however, are a worthwhile, if not essential, pursuit. Netting could easily be deployed over the raised poptop as well I imagine but I have never pursued it. As for ventilation, humidity in a closed cabin can quickly become uncomfortable under some conditions. If rain is an issue, a simple solution is to deploy a small boom tent. This will then allow you to push back the sliding hatch or leave one or more hatch boards out as needed. I have thought of sewing a functionally similarly tent for the forward hatch but have not yet pursued it...too many other projects.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2021 :  16:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My C-22 had sewn-in vinyl windows and a friend of mine had a pop top cover that had screens. May have bee optional, or possibly regional.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2021 :  11:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the pop top cover for sleeping aboard in cold weather. I also use a small electric heater with a fan, and so it's only feasible when at a marina with shore power. I learned that water condenses on the inside of the cold pop top cover and drops run down to the cabin top. When using the covered cabin top for impromptu storage, I found the need to cover everything in black garbage bags to avoid the clothing or paper items from getting drenched overnight.

Anchoring out on hot, buggy, summer nights I raise the pop top and cover it with 2 large, sheer, window curtains sewn together to make netting that reaches from the mast step to the companionway. The netting is a lifesaver when there are biting flies or mosquitoes around.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2021 :  14:26:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Wind Scoop in the forward hatch and aimed at the wind will help keep air flowing through the boat. Sometimes it's best to take it down at night, so it doesn't blow cold night air on you.

You can make an insect screen for the forward hatch by making a sort of bag out of mosquito netting large enough to fit over the hatch. Then sew a piece of 3/8"or 1/2" rope around the bag's opening. The weight of the rope will keep the screen in place.

Sometimes nothing can make the heat or humidity bearable. Then it's a good time to get out of the boat until the sun goes down or the rain stops. Go shopping or explore a local antique shop, or play miniature golf, or go out for pizza, or take a drive in the country, or do something else that you enjoy. Do whatever you can to make the weekend enjoyable for the family, so they'll always want to return.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2021 :  08:41:30  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Catalina 25 poptop tent came with sewn in windows and attached curtains inside.  No opening option, no windows in the front panels.  The tent for my Catalina 22 has the screened opening windows described by others, including in the front.  So I agree with those who say the opening windows with screens were an extra-cost option.

Regarding forehatch screen, I made a tent as described by Steve Milby using porch screen (probably vinyl coated fiberglass).  To hold the bottom down to the deck, I sewed a hollow hem a couple inches wide and inserted a couple dozen tubular cast net weights held in position along a string with knots.  Works great.

A couple used boats I've had came with Velcro tape glued around forehatch and companionway openings for screens (not included).  Whatever adhesive was used to attach the Velcro tape had failed, leaving the Velcro sagging down.  So if you go that route, pay attention to how you attach it.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page