Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Shore power (120) electrical issue on boat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/18/2021 :  14:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So my C-25 is tripping the shore power breaker (20A, I believe) as soon as I plug my cord into the boat. I'm in the US, so this is 120v issue. I've isolated it (somewhat) to my boat - in other words, I've eliminated my cords or other boats on that same circuit as possible causes. Haven't started exploring the wiring inside the boat just yet, but I thought I'd start here until I can get out to her to poke around.

I typically only run a dehumidifier and a (dehumidifying) fan on the shore power - never a space heater. Haven't ever had a problem, though I've only had the boat for a few months. This just popped up a week or so ago as an issue. Both 120 electrical outlets on board are the GFI type - and I believe that is all that the shore power actually powers (everything else is on the 12v system). Though I haven't explored the boat wiring in detail yet, I have tried unplugging everything before hooking back up to shore power, and I've also tried the GFIs in various settings. As soon as I plug my twist-lock cable into the boat, it trips. I don't believe there is a separate breaker on board, other than the GFI outlets themselves.

It may be something basic and obvious once I get the chance to look more closely, but until then ..... any ideas?

1980 Catalina 25 TR/SK #2098 ?????
Former owner of 1982 Catalina 25 TR/SK #3081 Suzy-Q

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2021 :  14:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wiring is very simple for shore power. Here is the wiring set up.
Maybe there's a short in the inline switch ??

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/pc39.gif

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 01/18/2021 :  15:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SKS

The wiring is very simple for shore power. Here is the wiring set up.
Maybe there's a short in the inline switch ??

http://catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/pc39.gif

Thanks. I don't believe there is a separate breaker on board, other than the GFI outlets themselves. Looks like a previous owner removed the breaker. This is my second C-25, and both have had this modified setup.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2021 :  07:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check for a dead short with a Digital Volt-Ohmmeter. Disconnect the boat from shore power. Disconnect any 120VAC item on your boat including your dehumidifier, fans, fridge and any 120VAC lighting you may have.
Out at the twistlock plug with all power off and disconnected, test continuity with the ohmmeter between the hot and neutral, hot and ground, and the neutral and ground pins.
All should read as open circuits. If you have some connectivity, like 100K ohms, there may be some corrosion somewhere in a component. That won’t typically blow a fuse. But it could create a ground fault. If you read 1K ohm then you’re getting into short circuit territory. Finally, if you read zero ohms between ground and neutral, that’s bad wiring. If you read zero ohms between hot and either other wire, then you have a short.
From there, I’d check for a bad outlet. They’re cheap enough to just replace them.
All this said, once you do some checking on your own, I’d advise that you hire a licensed, insured electrician to check out your wiring. While a service call may cost a few $100, it’s cheap insurance. You don’t want to endanger yourself or your guests with lethal voltage.
Another common problem is when there are multiple boats on one circuit. If ground and neutral are switched, or if hot and neutral are switched on any nearby boats, deadly currents can run between the boats through the water. This is a major cause of electrocution of swimmers around docks.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2021 :  22:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of amateur 120V or 240V wiring... 12V is tricky enough--I've been aboard a smoke filled boat out in the Pacific where we managed to keep it from turning into a fire--that was a 12V problem. 120V is capable of instantaneous ignition (not to mention killing people) before a breaker can shut it down. I like to know the wiring is done to code (or a problem resolved) by a licensed electrician.

However, if you want to see a spectacle, try an electrical fire in a fiberglass boat. We had one at a dock in my town just a few months ago--shore power--lots of excitement!

Curmudgeon out.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/19/2021 22:28:41
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2021 :  20:57:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, all I’d add to your comment is to make sure you find a licensed, insured electrician who’s knowledgeable about boat wiring.
A residential electrician will definitely be able to repair your ground fault or dead short problem, since that’s self-contained on your boat.
But they might not understand that two adjacent boats using the same source power circuits, where one has a ground fault or reversed polarity could cause a short between two boats connected only by water. That kind of problem would be very uncommon in a residential electrical setting.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2021 :  21:46:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Bruce! I omitted the term "marine" before "electrician." A marina should have at least a line on one.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Catalississippi
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
40 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2021 :  13:08:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. Turned out it was the outlet wired incorrectly by a (professional, licensed) electrician hired by my YC to do ongoing marina electrical work. They were called and came out and fixed it. Had neutral on the wrong terminal and wires incorrectly switched. It was self-shorting every time anything would be plugged in.

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2021 :  15:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the pro wired the outlet wrong....yeah that would give me a nice warm secure feeling.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2021 :  18:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For $9 you can buy a 110VAC polarity detector at the local hardware store. Freakin’ amazing that electrician didn’t bother to check their own work!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Power-Gear-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/206212329

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 01/29/2021 18:38:17
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2021 :  05:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about one of those testers but I didn't know what kind of outlet the shore power was. That tester will work with a 15 or 20amp post but you'll need an adapter if the power is 30amp.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/30/2021 :  08:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You’re right Scott.

Catalississippi, that’s exactly why I mentioned doing your own pre-check above. I’m doing some construction projects at my house and I don’t care how many years experience the technician has, I always check the work. Right now I have a 3-way switch that works perfectly on one end of the hall, and is a NAND gate on the other end. Hey! is this thing even hooked up?

The other thing this points out is that if you boat was “grounded”, the current from the 120VAC power would run through the water around your boat and potentially be lethal if anyone fell in or swam in summer.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page