Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Masthead measurement?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smd
1st Mate

Member Avatar

25 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/16/2021 :  12:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Could anyone who happens to have their rig down provide me with some dimensional info on the masthead? Mostly I need to know the angle at the top, so that I can make a shim that will provide a flat surface for a transducer mount. If anyone can measure for me that would be great. I looked for a diagram or template online but couldn't find anything drawn to scale. Thanks.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2021 :  12:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appears to be a dimensioned drawing in this thread.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27742

Note that standard rig and tall rig have different castings. I would imagine the angle is probably the same though.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2021 :  13:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that one, but also noticed that it said it's not to scale. Looks pretty dang through, though. I'll bet it's about right. Thanks.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2021 :  21:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Will this help?

I don't have the transverse dimensions but this photo should give you a pretty good idea, since the dimensions of the mast extrusion are known:

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2021 :  23:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee: that is PERFECT. Thanks so much.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2021 :  11:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This should become tech topic. I’m certain that many C25 boaters would like to create attachments for their mast tops like WiFi repeaters, bird spikes or video cameras , but can’t do the pre-planning because they don’t have the design specifics. This image clearly shows the details. How can members publish articles to the tech topics?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2021 :  23:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll submit something on this to Tech Tips (there are instructions there about submitting). It's true, this area is quite difficult to reach in order to take measurements.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2021 :  08:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow-up here. I made up a little shim/mount that would counter the 6-degree decline of the masthead. I used a piece of teak. But then I was chatting with my upstairs neighbor and he actually fabricated an aluminum version with the CNC machine he has in his apartment. Here's a pic I took during install. Lee Panza, given your engineer-style diagrams, I thought you'd appreciate my neighbor's work (if you look very closely you can see he even bevelled the edge). Anyway, thanks for the helpful info!

-Steven

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 03/04/2021 :  13:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like an outstanding piece of work.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 03/06/2021 :  00:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's a nice looking fabrication, Steven. This is considerably more sophisticated than the simple shim you initially seemed to be talking about. But I'm having trouble understanding what I'm seeing. Can you post a couple of other views (and, perhaps, a tad larger)?

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  10:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The part my neighbor made is far more sophisticated than needed. He did it for fun and practice. I just took a couple of pics when I was aloft, but here you go.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 03/07/2021 :  19:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I'll apologize if I'm misinterpreting this, but I'm guessing the dark-anodized component is the Garmin-supplied base to hold the arm, and the part your friend made is the bright-finish tapered-slab adapter between it and the masthead casting. I see that he put a bevel around the top surface. Nice work!

But, does Garmin really think tamper-resistant screws are necessary at the top of a mast?

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2021 :  15:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's exactly right, Lee, the shiny part is the adapter. And, you know, crows are super smart!

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page