Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Winch mock-up?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

smd
1st Mate

Member Avatar

25 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/09/2021 :  13:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, first post here, after a whole lotta informative lurking.

My boat has only two winches, the original primary Lewmar 7 one-speed. Now, I have a pair of old Barient self-tailing 2-speed winches hanging out in my garage. The thing is, I'm VERY hesitant to drill holes in the boat, and the hole pattern doesn't match. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea about a way to mount the Barient winches utilizing the existing holes from the Lewmars. For example, with some kind of adapter, or a teak winch pad, or something. That way, I could put the Barients on there and decide if that's worthwhile to me as a permanent setup.

Thanks for any thoughts. Appreciate all the insight I've gotten here so far.

1984 C-25 SR SK.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2021 :  14:54:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I imagine you could have some adapter plates fabricated, maybe out of Starboard, with the old and new patterns rotated in relation to each other.

I can tell you, if I put on some winches like those, they would never be coming off, so I wouldn't hesitate to mount them properly to the coamings.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2021 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me re-iterate what keats said.
Once mounted you won't have to replace the winches. At worst, you can rebuild them with new bearings, etc.
I wouldn't hesitate drilling new holes for the new winches.
If you're concerned, fill in the old holes with epoxy glue to make them water tight, then drill the new holes in a pattern that the new winches will cover the old holes.
If you ever need to go back to the Lewmar, just reverse the process, filling the unused holes with epoxy glue.
You could use some kind of teak plate to cover the holes, but I'd be uncomfortable with installing the new winches unless you bolted them through the deck also.
Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2021 :  06:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an old pair of Barients and they growled and needed new bearings, but I could never find replacement parts. I ended up buying new Lewmars on sale. I have heard that an Australian company has Barient parts, but they're expensive and the shipping is expensive.

Before you go to the trouble of installing them, check them carefully, clean and lube them and test them to be sure they work correctly, and be aware that, if they ever need repair, you might not be able to find parts.

IMO, you really don't need self tailers on a C25. I raced my C25 singlehanded without self tailers. 2 speed winches are somewhat helpful on a C25. When you tack in fresh winds, it can become difficult to bring the jibsheet in the last few inches, and 2 speed winches give you extra mechanical advantage, but I could have managed without them. They were a convenience rather than a necessity.

I put an old pair of self tailing Lewmar winches on my C&C 35 and the sheet wouldn't stay in the self tailers. If the self tailers won't hold, they're of no value. Be sure everything works well before you install them. It's a bummer to drill new holes and then find out they don't work.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

smd
1st Mate

Members Avatar

25 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2021 :  12:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts. The points Steve brings up are just the sort of thing that made me want to wait before drilling new holes. This is my first boat, and while I expect to keep it for some time, I also expect to eventually get something a little bigger. The Barients are lubed and seem to function nicely--but I picked them up second-hand at a super low price.

Steven 1984 C-25 SR/SK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page