Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 A new book
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/02/2021 :  09:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the book is new to me. In fact it’s a book from 1979 entitled The Finely Fitted Yacht by Ference Maté illustrated by Candace Maté.
Current printing is the first time in paperback. I’m sure some of you are already aware of it.
I like a quote from the foreword:”... all things in it have been tested,or built, or at least dreamt about thoroughly...”
The book starts at the most important place, the galley, and then proceeds from there.
It’s full of great ideas for simple mods for the head, the salon, lighting, stowage and many other nooks and crannies on the boat.
Definitely worth a read or borrow from your local library or kindle.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2021 :  19:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flipping through the book, I noticed an ingenious idea for the settee.

On Passage I have the dinette-style cabin with a settee on the starboard side and two dinette seats facing one-another on the port side. There’s a 17” wide aisle in between which is about 75” long.

I had constructed a filler board to span the aisle, but when I’m not using it (like 99% of the time) I need to find a storage location for it. It fits in the Vee berth, but takes a lot of room.

The book shows a very novel solution.
The seat-top consists of 3”-wide interlocking slats with inner and outer rails attached. The slats are 1x3s with a rabbeted edges. The rabbet keeps the slats aligned together. The even slats slide out and the odd slats remain stationary. The outer seat rail is attached to the even slats and the odd slats attach to the inner rail. The slats pull out into the aisle to a stop to more or less double the width of the settee. The outer rail comes to rest on the dinette seats on the opposite side.

You pull it out when you want to take a nap, then you push it closed afterwards. Pretty doggone clever.

The book is full of similar topics and ideas.

You can read more about the book here. Book

Or here

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page