Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 fish finder vs digital depth gauge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2021 :  00:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JohnnyD, I’m guessing that you have a swing keel boat, since that part of my fin keel hull is bone dry. Sometimes I get a small puddle in the sole next to the galley after a heavy rain, but nothing down below.
The original location for the depth transducer on Passage is in the same compartment. You could also mount yours in the Vee Berth next to the forward through hull. This would have the advantage that the depth meter would “see” the rock just before you hit it. Might be a better sitch...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2021 :  09:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Depth Transducer Location

As I described previously, I favor installing the transducer ahead of the keel. One potential issue I've encountered which might be a consideration in transducer location is aerated water.  The two situations I've seen cause it were:
  • Engine in reverse, prop pushing turbulent water mixed with exhaust under the boat.
  • Bashing to windward through waves, resulting in bubbles passing under the transducer.

On the rare occasions when my water cooled shoot-through-hull installations act up, the first thing I check is water level in the the transducer housing.  Topping it up has always fixed the problem.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page