Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Winter Cover for My Catalina 25
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saman2929
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/03/2020 :  20:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

USA
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/02/2020 : 21:03:48 Show Profile Email Poster Edit Topic Reply with Quote
I just acquired a 1983 Catalina 25 Project, It has been on the Hard for 9 years under a couple of very large trees. After digging through about 10" of compost and twigs I was able to reach the deck and Cockpit. I have it all cleaned out and I am starting to get things going in the right direction. I live in a Big Snow area in upstate NY. and With winter quickly upon me, I have to get a winter cover on soon. I am thinking about leaving the Mast up and supporting the Aft End of the Boom and using it as a ridge for my Tent. And going forward from the Mast to the Deck of the Bow with a 2X4 wrapped in a carpet. The problem I see is the number of cuts required to get my canvass around the Bases of the Shrouds and Stanchions and be able to secure the many ends to hold it tight to fight the winds. I have not developed what I think will be a working strategy. I am sure some of you have addressed this problem, and I am hoping to get your input How you have solved this problem. For the Long Haul, I intend to get a winter cover made But I don't have the time to get it this year before Late January. Any input on Design and Materials or strategy would be greatly appreciated.
Sam

Sam

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/05/2020 :  20:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Sam, welcome to the Forum. I’ve used big blue or grey tarps for years as a winter cover. I’ll usually purchase new ones each or every other year. It’s always worked very well.

Some folks have purchased purpose made covers with zippers, vents, doors, etc but many use tarps.

Here’s how I managed the trickiest part: the area around the mast, including accommodating the shrouds.

I buy a 12’ or 16ft x 20ft tarp for the rear. I leave the mast up and lash a 12 ft 1x3 to the boom and set up a 6ft tall Vee-shaped 2x4 crutch against the inside of the transom slashed to the stern rail. I let the 1x3 rest in the vee shaped notch.
I bought eight 1” pvc pipes that I tie down into a skeleton over the boom.

Then I lay out my tarp and cut several strategic holes in it. One for the backstay, one for the topping lift, and then I cut two slits from the forward edge on either side of the mast that will accommodate the rear lower stay, the upper shroud and the forward lower stay. I try to follow the contours. Then I slide the tarp forward until it stops at the rear lower shrouds.

I take a few grommets and attach them to the areas next to the cuts. I run a cable tie through each pair of corresponding grommets to reattach the tarp across the slit around the forward stays. So long as I keep them loose, they hold fine throughout the season.

I drape the tarp over the skeleton, then detach the backstay and pass it through the hole I previously made in the tarp. Likewise for the topping lift. I usually use a spare 2x4 to support the boom while fishing the topping lift through.

Lastly I run lines from edge grommet to grommet underneath the boat. I make sure NOT to tie the underlines to the jackstands. That’s a potential disaster in a big wind.

That’s the aft section. For the foredeck, I don’t always cover it since I keep my solar panels out there to keep the battery on board. Other years when big, frequent snows are expected, I buy another, smaller tarp (16x16?) to cover another 12 ft 1x3 tied to the mast on one end and to the bow pulpit on the other. I’ve done it better and worse: with or without a 1” pvc skeleton, and I like the skeleton approach better. The 1x3 does require a mid-span support on the foredeck above the forward hatch, otherwise it’ll get a bad sag.

You can store and reuse almost everything each year, however the UV and the snow, ice and wind eventually kill the tarp. It starts to shred into crappy blue fibers after a while.

I also have a few solar powered nightlights for under the cover, and it stays lit up at night in case I need to make a visit off season.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 11/05/2020 20:36:16
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2020 :  08:00:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not imperative that the entire boat needs to be covered. The cockpit is the only area that should be covered to keep the snow out so it doesn't freeze into a block of ice blocking the drains. A saw horse in the cockpit with a tarp works well. You can use the sawhorse brackets with cut to size 2x4s to make it as high and long as you like. I would make it high enough to clear the companionway and long enough to stop at aft railing. Don't drape the cover over the railings or lifelines. The weight of the snow could do damage.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/06/2020 08:01:50
Go to Top of Page

saman2929
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
7 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2020 :  18:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Voyager and islander thank you for the information, I have used 1" pvc on my powerboat and I usually get 2 Plus years for a heavy-duty tarp. I will be incorporating them into my sailboat. I like the idea of adding grommets for the cuts.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2020 :  07:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have a pvc pipe setup for the cat 25 that was used with the mast up. Don't know how to send pictures. just cover with tarp.almost 6 feet high in cockpit. yours free.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2020 :  07:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished installing a new tarp this week and I found that while the tarp covers the lifelines, it is held up by the pvc pipe so the weight does not lay on the wires and stanchions. I spaced my pipes about 12 inches apart and bent them into a high arch since it minimizes snow buildup. Many of my fellow boaters use shrinkwrap but that’s wasteful as a one season use.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 12/06/2020 :  14:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is the frame I used for many years. Can be used with the mast up or down. I just covered it with a large tarp. It worked really well.

PVC frame free to anyone that can use it. local pickup only

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/31/2020 :  16:06:45  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fairclough has a template for a full cover for our boats. Easy to instal it goes over the boom and is held up on the bow with the spinnaker halyard.
Have had mine for three years and love it.
Cost about $1800 but that was with a discount because I bought it in the spring, delivered in the fall.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 12/31/2020 16:58:20
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/31/2020 :  17:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cover that I bought back in 08 is still going strong. Paid $1407 for it with a boat show discount. Its three sections that zip together. Nothing to build, Just zip the sections together and tie down around the edges. Takes about 45 min. to do. It also has a lifetime warrantee from The Canvas Store in Huntington NY. Also easy access to the interior if you want to get aboard in the winter. This photo is from October.

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2021 :  19:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott -- Thaat is best deal I have heard of for a true cover. What frame does it use, or just the mast and boom?

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 01/22/2021 19:55:49
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2021 :  17:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Pete, I just saw that you had asked a question. There isn't any frame. The cover drapes over the boom and then is tied to the stanchion bases. For the fordeck you can support it with a halyard but Instead I run a ratchet strap from the mast to the stem fitting. The cover then gets draped over the strap.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page