Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Standing a 250 WB on the hard
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paul Snape
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
1 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/28/2020 :  12:36:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone
I'm new to 250s this season, and wanted to see if there was any diagrams on how to correctly stand a 250 Water Ballast on blocks and stands to avoid damage over the winter? My boatyard did it wrong when I first took delivery on my new (to me) 2002 250WB this summer and I want to make sure the guys know where to avoid putting pressure on the hull. The 'tanking' mishap could have been worse, but still resulted in a leak and a repair to the tank wall (at their expense). Any advice/info gratefully received.

Paul Snape
2002 Catalina 250 WB Hull no. 590

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2020 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Paul welcome to the forum
Here are some images that maybe of help to you...

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/28/2020 :  16:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When storing any boat on the hard, The general practice is to place each jackstand where an interior bulkhead is located. The bulkheads stiffen the hull so that the hull doesn't flex. Most sailboats have some sort of interior bulkhead just forward and aft of the keel. A jackstand is also placed at the bow, to prevent the bow from drooping. The jackstand at the bow doesn't support much weight.

This doesn't apply to your boat, but on boats with a fixed keel, a 4X4 timber is placed under the keel, to prevent the keel from sinking into the ground. Most of the keel boat's weight rests on the keel. The jackstands are adjusted so that they only carry a little weight. They mostly keep the boat balanced. The boat should be as nearly plumb as possible. If the boat leans to one side, much more weight rests on the jackstands on that side. All the jackstands on the sides should carry roughly equal amounts of weight.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page