Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Resources for learning to sail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mroettersr
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
148 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/26/2020 :  20:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 77 years, I felt it was time to retire from active sailing and with heavy heart sold my Catalina 25. The boat was a wonderful forgiving craft that I enjoyed owning for close to 20 years. The new owner is also new to sailing and asked for my recommendation for a good instructional book he could use to learn. I used Glenans Sailing Manual back in the mid-70's. What recommendations would you make?

He lives in Lebanon, PA. and will likely sail on the eastern end of Lake Erie. Is anyone aware of instructional opportunities near there?

Best regards.

Mike

Mike Roetter
'83 C25 #3568 SK/SR
Marblehead on Lake Erie

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2020 :  21:21:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First suggestion: Chesapeake Bay! Much more amenable and interesting, as well as closer to Lebanon, than Erie! At the north end, he just needs to know how to read charts.

Next suggestion: An ASA instructor on the Chesapeake Bay.

"New to sailing" on a 25' keelboat suggests professional instruction.
I started at 8 on a rowboat with a square rig and leeboards, graduated to a Sailfish-type boat I built (at 14 years old), then to a Sunfish, and on up from there. To me, starting at 25' omits a lot of basics of the relationship to the wind, while injecting a lot of the complications of handling a 5,000 lb. hull and rig. Then there are the elements of seamanship (safety, rules of the road, etc.) that are critical to handling a "big boat" around other boats and with others aboard. It is not for total novices without serious instruction, in my opinion. Does a "new to sailing" person in a big body of water have any idea how to deal with an MOB situation? No. Panic! Are they reasonably confident they know what to do in any emergency? More and more these days, the answer is "NO". ASA instruction can change much of that--maybe nothing but seasoning changes all of it.

I know others think this is overstating things and that they learned aboard their 25-footers by just going out there... I've witnessed some of that, and will withhold further comment.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2020 :  01:52:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned most of what I know from these two guys:

Steve Colgate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWKdL4EHjM

Bud Foulke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yqBqCvrBHU

Couldn't find a link to Bud's complete video, but it's worth seeking out.

Funny story....... A few years ago I spoke with Steve Colgate at The Miami boat show. Thanked him for making the video. His wife, standing next to him, said she thought that it was corny using those people from the TV show.....

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page