Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Northport Harbor Sailstice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2020 :  12:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello fellow Long Island Sound Catalinans. I’m planning a Sailstice trip on the weekend of June 20&21 to Long Island and I need some advice on Northport Harbor anchorages.

There are several fine marinas there locally and perhaps some free anchorages, however, you never know whether the locality has decided to make some money and convert open anchorages into paid-for moorings.

Looking on the NOAA charts, I see some nice protected anchorages. Is anybody knowledgeable about the locale to offer some advice? I’m thinking about south of Duck Island and west of Asharoken Beach.
If these are NG, please advise on another area in the greater harbor that may be more suitable.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  17:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

Consider Port Jeff -- moorings, launch, and great dining (assuming they are open) The LI folk, I hope, will chime in.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  23:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, thanks for the tip. A buddy has a mooring in PJ Harbor who is never there. But I’ve never been to Northport, any suggestions? I won’t be going to any sit down restaurants..

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  20:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doing some more research on various websites and old port guides, Huntington Bay and Northport have a lot of nooks and crannies, nice quiet spots and, until recently, crazy hot spots.

The Vanderbilt Mansion is located there and Seymour’s marina who accepts transients for the night.

In light of the scene I just witnessed in Milford CT’s harbor marina for Memorial Day weekend, every slip was sold out, I plan on making some reservations and not taking any chances.

So far there are three boats of folks I know who are going: a friend with a Wharram catamaran and another salty monohull guy.

Now the Wharram will make 10 knots, so we’re sending him the long way around LI, but he has zero draft with his kickboards up so he can beach it. “We don’t need no stinkin’ slip or mooring“... says he.

The other fixed keel likes 5 ft of seaway.

I’ve got the Magma Grill for the steaks. Somebody else can make the homefries.

For social distancing we’ll all need our own separate slips, so we’ve still got that whole thing to work out yet...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  10:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...but he has zero draft with his kickboards up so he can beach it. “We don’t need no stinkin’ slip or mooring“... says he.

And he's familiar with the 6-8' tide range in western L.I.S.? ("Sorry, but you're gonna hafta wait four hours to be able start home.")

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/31/2020 10:48:05
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  17:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, although he lives in Madison CT now, between New Haven and New London on LI Sound, he’s originally from Da Bronx, has a Captain’s license and had mostly sailed from New Rochelle and Mamaroneck.
He says that dragging her over the sand just loosens up the barnacles...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2020 :  05:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A change in plans — due to Father’s Day holiday on Sunday the dates were changed for an overnight beginning on Friday June 19, ending on Saturday June 20.

The venue has also changed - from Northport Harbor on Long Island to Branford CT’s Thimble Islands.

These high brownstone (really pink granite) Islands were explored by Adrian Block during his exploration in his sailing vessel Onrust around New England and the CT River. He called the islands the Archipelago of the New World.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page