Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Looking for Main Cabin Salon/Bed Ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/29/2020 :  12:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Making some steps to more fully use the boat on overnights

Looking for 1 best way to get main cabin comfy for night time sleep. Or other ideas. Im just a little claustrophobic or rather just not liking tight spaces like the forward v berth and Aft Berth.

2 looking for what I need to do to restart using my potable water and Wilcox Critteneden marina toilet 1520. Seacocks look in good shape. I have never used it in 8 years. Do I need sealube and other bleaching etc? Also how to you use it best to get no odor. Thanks

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

Edited by - Captmorgan on 05/29/2020 12:13:24

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  15:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Capt,
Which cabin layout do you have?
1. Two settees, one port and one starboard with a drop table from the bulkhead,
2. the dinette style with two counterposed bench seats on the port side and settee on starboard side,
3. or something else?

The dinette style is most easily converted into a queen size bed by dropping the table between the dinette seats, then bridging both sides to the starboard settee. I have an inflatable queen size mattress that fits in the space.

If you have the two settee type, then you’d have to do a bit of carpentry to join up both sides. You’d have to make a wide bridge with solid support.

For me solo I’ve spent a night on the starboard settee while removing the backrest to get more room.

And the quarterberth is pretty comfy unless you’re on a bouncy mooring.

I guess the old joke goes like this: “how many can sleep comfortably aboard the C25? Answer: NONE!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/29/2020 15:21:43
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  21:17:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have two bench seats port and starboard and the drop table that is on the bulk head closer to the port side. it fold out to the starboard side.

I have to look again but I think I need the wide bridge.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/29/2020 :  23:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would need a sheet of plywood that’s supported by some 2x4s or a center post. The problem with such a monstrosity is where do you keep it on board when it’s not deployed? Maybe a few sections that can be stacked in the quarterberth when not being used...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  06:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because of the limited accommodations and storage on board we chose to augment use of the aft quarter berth by creating a single berth from the port side settee. Our requirements were that the berth could be installed or taken down and stored in less than 5 minutes without use of tools, was easily stowed and did not hinder access to either the head or the cockpit ladder. The design actually is a streamlined version of that posted by OLarryR. Our version has only four removable components, does not require fasteners, is easily stowed, and uses the existing settee cushions, although we did add a 1.5" memory foam topper purchased from Walmart that was marketed as a dorm lounge mat. Bottom line, the berth is incredibly comfortable and easy to manage. I’d post a few pics but just discovered that I am currently locked out of the Member’s Area. I will update my post with pics when I can again gain access.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  07:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replied in your other thread but here is the thread I showed a simple way to convert the cabin to full size bed:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=27457&SearchTerms=bed

Sorry, for photo$ukit.........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2020 :  08:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerry, Davy and Larry,
For your cabin layout, extending and doubling the width of the port settee makes good sense. It gives you plenty of surface area and a nearly six foot length if you use the galley area. It’s actually better than bridging the entire cabin (port to starboard) because even with the bed extension you can still walk up to the head (more or less). In the dinette layout, I need to use the center aisle to achieve a six-foot length.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 05/30/2020 08:43:00
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  08:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all good options, Thanks for the inputs.

I have a swing Keel so I have to deal with that. I think if I just extend the port side Sette it will probably rest on there and I would have to add two legs on the starboard side of the plywood.

Does anyone have this setup

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/31/2020 :  15:32:22  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My website has photos and details for installing a bunk extension and replacing the cabin table with a swing down suspended table.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2020 :  10:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks I looked at that but you give up walking room down below right because you built out sette on starboard side. I was going to make a ply wood extension on starboard side sette and have it upagainst back seat or floor of sette? Won that give me same room and not have to move my table?

quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

My website has photos and details for installing a bunk extension and replacing the cabin table with a swing down suspended table.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2020 :  17:02:40  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The extended bunk does reduce the walking room, however, even though the extended bunk can be easily dismantled and stored in the quarter berth, I leave it installed all the time since there is still room to walk forward from the companionway to the Vberth. When the table is pivoted down to utilize it, you can still walk forward to the Vberth. But when the table is fully opened, then just like the original table, it will block access to the Vberth.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

alfreddiaz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
30 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2020 :  22:09:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been contemplating building a fold down, fold up padded bunk extension. When not in use, it would still be there folded again the base of the starboard settee. But it would be flush against the base and only sick out 2 inches. My plan is to make it six inches wide and thus add six inches to the birth when folded up. I could make it wider, but I still want to be able to snug by to the head when it is extended. I have a couple ideas on the brackets I will use. I just haven't gotten around to it.

I have the dinette configuration.

Al
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2020 :  08:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Al,
If you have the dinette style setup, you can drop the table into the down position to create a large cushioned area, then if you bridge the walkway between the dinette and starboard settee, which is roughly 14-15” wide, you can create enough space for a queen size air mattress. Of course this might be overkill if you sail solo, and it does not allow you to pass forward to the head area unless you climb over the mattress.

If instead you add a 6” swing-up extension to the starboard settee, the gap will be about 8”, which means you can still walk between the dinette and settee extension. That should give you just enough area to stretch out comfortably on the settee. Right now, if I remove the settee seat back cushion, I can squeeze in for a nap, but 6” more would be ideal.

I can see how three or four hinges would work fine, but how would you support the weight on the extension? Add a few legs to the extension, or bridge across to the dinette seats?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

AUAE
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2020 :  21:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The previous owner of my boat modified the starboard berth with a slide-out platform to extend the width. It uses the seatback cushion and makes a bed about the same dimensions as a twin mattress. The slide-out is supported by 3 folding aluminum legs. We have not used it yet, but hopefully we can try some overnight trips in the not-too-distant future.

Kav Eldredge
1990 TR/WK #6001 "Ocean Liner"
Birmingham, AL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page