Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Mast - Routing the lines / ropes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeMT
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/16/2020 :  06:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part (inexperienced) owner of a Capre 25. The main sail is hard to pull up and I was wondering if anyone had a diagram of the internal routing of the lines /ropes in the mast.

We're trying to solve the issue and not having luck. I believe there is a guide? bolt that was removed at one time and the lines went to either side perhaps.... and was not replaced with the lines in the right configuration???

Thank you

Joe Swanson

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/16/2020 :  08:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't answer your specific question, but the most common reasons why a mainsail is hard to hoist are (1) the sheave(s) is/are defective or broken, or the halyard has jumped off a sheave, and (2) the mast kerf is dirty or salt encrusted. You should check those first, before you get into anything more complicated. The simplest answer is most often correct.

On my C&C 35, the culprit was a snatch block at the base of the mast that habitually turned sideways and bound the halyard.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2020 :  12:30:51  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are only 4 or maximum 5 lines going through our masts. I have 4 since I don't use a 2nd genoa halyard. But we had a ton of friction in our main halyard as well. I replaced the sheaves at the top and bottom of the mast with the black delrin versions from Catalina Direct. That did quite a bit of good. I still have some friction in the other halyards so I will re-run them this summer.

Always be sure to run through the basics as well and make sure when hoisting the main to have the vang and sheet off and maybe someone holding the boom up. Spraying some McLube in the mast track will help as well.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/

Edited by - SailTowery on 05/19/2020 13:47:29
Go to Top of Page

Fleet
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
151 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2020 :  12:11:20  Show Profile  Visit Fleet's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If the sheaves or halyard routing is not the problem, you might want to look into Sail Track Slides. Attach your mainsail to the slides, the delrin slides make it easier to hoist the mainsail. The downside is that they deteriorate in the sunlight. If you leave your main exposed to sun, then you need to replace the slides every year. I switched to the slides after about the second or third time fighting with the mainsail. Never looked back.

Fleet
Kamikaze
1983 Hull #397
Lake Guntersville, AL
Go to Top of Page

JoeMT
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
8 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2020 :  17:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have cleats on the main sail....however far from new.

I know the other 2 owners replaced acouple sheaves and ropes. that seemed to be the beginning of the issue. And they pulled that bolt mid mast which I believe the ropes had to be on one side or the other.
QUESTION: Did those of you who have replaced sheaves on the mast find the right size (direct replacements?). Our Mast is black - Capri #270

Joe Swanson

Edited by - JoeMT on 05/21/2020 18:06:17
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2020 :  07:51:38  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is what I used at the masthead and base...

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by-boat/capri-25/rigging/running-rigging/sheave-1-34quot-od-for-line/

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/

Edited by - SailTowery on 05/22/2020 07:53:19
Go to Top of Page

Ljpotterm
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2021 :  17:04:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stupid question but when you raise the sail are you heading directly into the wind?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page