Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

supersailor
Deckhand

Member Avatar

4 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/14/2020 :  20:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you guys launch your spinnakers on the C25? I am new to the C25 platform and my spinnaker doesn't have halyards or sheets. What is the optimal length for your spinnaker halyard, and how long is each spinnaker sheet? What type of line do you use?

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2020 :  12:26:51  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about the Capri 25 or Catalina 25?

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/
Go to Top of Page

supersailor
Deckhand

Members Avatar

4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2020 :  20:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Capri 25.
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2020 :  03:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halyard length will depend on how you run the halyard. My boat came with the halyard exiting the mast on the starboard side of the mast and running into a jamb cleat mounted on the mast. I don't think this was a factory setup. I suppose you could exit through the mast base, run through the deck blocks back to the cockpit. The size is 5/16" or 8mm. Any good low stretch line should be acceptable.
My sheets are the same size range and type line, 70' each.

I've experimented with launching from a bow bag and the forward hatch and the cabin hatch.
Launching from the bow bag works very cleanly, but dowsing is a bitch. I don't consider the forward hatch a viable option, just experimented with it. The cabin launch is my preferred method right now. I have a sail bag hung in the hatchway that we use to contain the spinnaker when not flying it. Might be a bit of a nuisance in a squall, but so far have not had to deal with that scenario.

Hope that helps

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/16/2020 :  11:30:59  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My spin halyard is 94' long. 8mm Marlow D2 Club.

We launch an retrieve from the fore hatch. When racing, the foredeck crew sets the spin pole then opens the hatch.
The trimmer then prefeeds the guy/clew. When I call for the hoist, the foredeck hoists. We will have the spin halyard exiting the mast on the starboard side, about 9 feet up. Once hoisted, the halyard cleats into a cam cleat just below the halyard exit. Once underway, the pit takes up the slack in the halyard tail and moves the halyard from the mast cleat to a clutch on deck. We do this because the fordeck will retrieve the spinnaker and stuff into the forehatch at take down. The pit will release the halyard. The halyard is offset from the mast cleat so it doesn't auto-cleat at take down. We have a J/24 style turtle bag hung in the forehatch to keep things tidy.

For windward/leeward racing it's quick, tidy and we don't ever have to un-hook any gear. The spin pole is stored on deck, resting on the bow and attached to the outer shroud base. For random leg distance racing, it still works great since we may have to move the spin gear to the other side of the boat for a starboard hoist. This is also quick with the spinnaker in the forehatch because there's less love to move around.

For cruising, we still launch from the hatch but can to the hoist from the cockpit.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422

Edited by - SailTowery on 04/17/2020 12:57:33
Go to Top of Page

supersailor
Deckhand

Members Avatar

4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/17/2020 :  19:29:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both for your advice. All of my lines run back to the cockpit. Should I maybe consider drilling a hole in my mast? Also, Ben, how do you attach the turtle bag to the fore hatch? Also, how do you keep the door physically out of the way? In addition, I currently don't have any spinnaker lines run to the top of the mast. How should I get the halyard up there?
Go to Top of Page

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2020 :  10:43:39  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Should I maybe consider drilling a hole in my mast? -- Its personal preference. Drilling holes in your mast should be on an as needed basis. :)

Also, Ben, how do you attach the turtle bag to the fore hatch? -- I just glued some small stainless hooks to the headliner.

Also, how do you keep the door physically out of the way? -- The hatch stays open resting against the mast. I removed all the hardware (latches, opener thingy) to keep it from snagging the kite. It's heavy enough to say closed.

In addition, I currently don't have any spinnaker lines run to the top of the mast. How should I get the halyard up there? -- with the mast up, you'll have to send someone up the mast to feed the halyard.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
Go to Top of Page

supersailor
Deckhand

Members Avatar

4 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2020 :  15:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds great. Thanks for all the quick tips.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page