Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Wiring a new panel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnnyd
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
23 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/21/2020 :  20:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wiring a new panel from an original 1978 Catalina 25. I sniped the positives from the old panel and connected then to the new panel. The wires I sniped were on the switch side of the panel. I am only connecting the running and cabin lights.

When connecting what I think is the ground to the battery nothing is happening. Both lights worked before I sniped everything. Was wondering if all the positives get wired into the master switch? Are the wires I cut possibly all negative? Or if I need to find the correct ground that is not in the jumble of wires connected color coordinated to the non-bus side of the panel?

Any help or feedback would be appreciated

Thanks!

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2020 :  00:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy Cow! That’s no fun at all. Electrical circuitry sometimes seems to be more magic than science.

It’s always smart to check that:
1. Your A-B-Both switch (if you have one) is set to the correct ON position;
2. Your main switch on the panel is turned on;
3. Your battery is indeed connected;
4. Your fuses aren’t blown. That’s easy to do especially when using a wire cutter.
5. Your negative cable (black) is connected to the battery.

Do you have the original switch panel and wire cables, or were things modified in the past?

If original, the switches are marked (Running, Cabin, Bow Light and Anchor Light) right on the panel.

These wires are connected directly to the backside of the marked switches and the wire insulations are color coded.
RED :: Running Lights
BLUE :: Cabin Lights
ORANGE :: Anchor
WHITE :: Bow
Black and green are negative or ground wires. Negative wires always run back to the battery negative, so you can use a continuity test to make sure of a solid negative from the fixture to the battery.

To check whether a switched wire is energized (positive), get a digital multi-meter or voltmeter and set it to the 15 or 20 volt scale. For the black lead, get a 10-16 foot wire with alligator clips on both ends. Clip one end to the battery negative terminal and the other end to the meters negative or black lead. This will allow you to move around the boat to take measurements in different areas.

Then check each switch with the red lead. You should find a constant 12 VDC on one lead and the other lead of the switch should toggle between 12VDC and zero when you twiddle it.

If you don’t have power supplying the switch (constant 12 VDC) then something is wrong upstream (battery connection, panel main switch, power buss not connected.

If you have power at the switch but nothing at the lights, the circuit, fuse or connector might be bad or corroded.

If you have power up to the lighting fixtures, you could have a dead bulb, bad LED or an old skool polarized LED. The latter is one with a definite positive wire and a definite negative wire. I had some like that early on and I had to switch the leads going to the fixture or light bulb, otherwise N.G.

Lucky for you you can usually test polarity using a 9V battery. If the light doesn’t work both ways (+ to +, - to - and + to -), then you’ll have to rewire (swap +/- wires) on the fixture. The original Catalina cabin light fixtures were reversed so LED replacements often did not work (wired backward).

Your voltmeter is your friend in these cases. BTW, never measure continuity for an energized circuit (poof). And never measure amps, ever.

Happy hunting, it’s probably something simple.

Readers Digest (c) large print edition

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/22/2020 09:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 03/22/2020 :  07:39:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume you're looking at the schematic http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/pictures/owners11.gif. Given that your boat is more or less original. If not the tedious circuit check mentioned above is the way to go. Good luck.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page