Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Princess Stove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/07/2020 :  16:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If you own a C250 chances are that your boat is equipped with a one burner Princess Stove using, depending when the boat was built, a variety of fuels.

Our '96 Catalina is no exception. It came with a "rinky dink", butane dispenser located in the very back and bottom of the galley cupboard where it was nearly impossible to reach and had no way to detect a potential leak.

The Princess Cook-top itself is a quality unit and in our case, can be changed from butane to propane by installing a pressure regulator complete with different hose fittings.

Since our stove top would not work at first we looked around for a replacement unit. However the stove manufacturer is out of business and a similar unit that fits closely in the existing cut-out is almost impossible to find. We located only one outlet at https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-smev-hb1320us-euro-single-burner-rv-propane-cooktop/ selling, for us Canadians, two rather expensive models.

If anyone has a discarded Princess single unit cook top please hang on to it or make it available on the Swap Meet. It is or will be, in parts or complete unit, a rare commodity in time to come.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2020 :  09:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The factory installations I've seen on the C-250 were propane, with the tank in a cockpit locker and a thermocouple wired from the burner to a solenoid shutoff valve at the tank, so if there was no heat from the burner, the supply was automatically cut off (preventing a BOOM). I believe that's the ABYC standard. Is that what you had on your previous boat?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2020 :  09:28:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

On the previous '95 and present '96 boat we followed Arlyn Stuart installation and replaced, the hard to reach and operate, butane dispenser with a standard 1 lbs throw-away green propane bottle. The change-over requires a propane regulator, sold by Panther RV products, as well as some new fittings.

A 12 volt gas sniffing alarm device with battery back-up is located in the bilge below the galley. For extra safety the gas bottle is removed before bedtime.

FYI If for whatever reason you wish to remove the, top quality, Princess one burner stove, just pry gently, very slowly and carefully with a wide, thin, sharp tool below the glass plate of the stove in several locations and slowly lift the glass from the countertop taking care not to damage the edge of the tempered glass or it will shatter in a million pieces.

Black paint on the bottom side of the glass will separate but can simply be repainted before replacing the stove. A new seal should be installed between stove and counter

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2020 :  07:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

If you own a C250 chances are that your boat is equipped with a one burner Princess Stove using, depending when the boat was built, a variety of fuels.

Our '96 Catalina is no exception. It came with a "rinky dink", butane dispenser located in the very back and bottom of the galley cupboard where it was nearly impossible to reach and had no way to detect a potential leak.

The Princess Cook-top itself is a quality unit and in our case, can be changed from butane to propane by installing a pressure regulator complete with different hose fittings.

Since our stove top would not work at first we looked around for a replacement unit. However the stove manufacturer is out of business and a similar unit that fits closely in the existing cut-out is almost impossible to find. We located only one outlet at https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-smev-hb1320us-euro-single-burner-rv-propane-cooktop/ selling, for us Canadians, two rather expensive models.

If anyone has a discarded Princess single unit cook top please hang on to it or make it available on the Swap Meet. It is or will be, in parts or complete unit, a rare commodity in time to come.

We are in the same bit of hot water with our propane Seaward Princess. The safety valve / thermocouple failed, which means we have to press down the knob to get keep a flame. No replacement part is available, and I hesitate to remove the stove anyway since a complete stove is no longer available as a replacement. For now, we wedge a block on top of the knob works. Please let us know if you find a source for a new one. Thanks.

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2020 :  10:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Charles

We had the igniter replaced as illustrated below at a RV dealership with a repair shop. The dealership had in stock/ordered and supplied the replacement part.

Our previous stove would only spark intermittently and not open the valve. Once the igniter was replaced the unit worked flawlessly everytime

In your case it could be, (I am no expert or qualified by any means), that there is a problem with your knob arrangement. It should depress, draw a spark, open the valve, engage the thermocoupler and after a few seconds maintain a flame at the desired heat level. But if the igniter is not sparking perhaps the thermocoupler won't open the valve either.

Just a question... are your stove top sparker points and thermocoupler sensor clean and undamaged?

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2020 :  16:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’ve been reading this thread with a great deal of concern that such a nicely packaged galley solution is no longer supported. No spare parts and you’ve got to get really lucky on sailing forums or eBay to get anything you can salvage.

Awhile back, I bought a crappy Butane Stove, Max Burton.

They use them in some Asian restaurants or often college kids use them to make Ramen.

While it’s crappy and nothing like the Princess Stove, it may be possible to adapt it to replace your cooker with something like this.

My stove opens right up, you stick a butane canister in it, you close the latch, then you turn the knob until the piezoelectric clicker starts the flame. Dead simple.
It cooks really well with an adjustable flame.

And when it dies you get another one.
I don’t know. I cannot speak first hand about the Princess, but is there any way this would work?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/11/2020 16:07:47
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2020 :  17:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bruce... it is for sure a concern and problem not to be able to fix and replace that great looking cook top. We've spent many hours trying to find parts and alternatives since the factory is not in business anymore. Both Catalina and Catalina Direct do not stock new units or supply any parts.

The only replacement stove top fitting the counter top cut-out is a Europenan import stove top sold by https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-smev-hb1320us-euro-single-burner-rv-propane-cooktop/ but is costly plus you to have to buy the domestic made regulator for around $400 plus tax and shipping.

Another solution is, as you suggest, to fiberglass the cook-top cavity and use a portable propane single burner gas stove. In fact since we bought our boat in Ontario and motored the Trent/Severn waterway without a working stove, we used the following $29.99 CAD unit with great success during the entire summer. In performed daily as well as the original Princess stove during the 3.5 months we spent aboard. By the way there are a wide variety of stove tops available ranging from about $30.00 all the way to several hundreds.

Butane burns hot. We used during our 3.5 months stay aboard last summer about 14 butane cartridges. Each cartridge lasted with everyday use of 1-3 meals including coffee water around 4-7 days.

Note: A nice feature is that you can pull the potholder guides straight up out of the holes in the counter and re-insert the potholder when required.

As you can see in the photo I did not re-paint the glass plate which, without paint, looks good too but if you look close you can see the counter cut-out edges which some of you may not like. I used a butyl strip to seal the glass to the counter. Even during prolonged cooking the glass stays cool enough for the seal to work.

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

solvasoncc
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
46 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2020 :  08:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Charles

We had the igniter replaced as illustrated below at a RV dealership with a repair shop. The dealership had in stock/ordered and supplied the replacement part.

Our previous stove would only spark intermittently and not open the valve. Once the igniter was replaced the unit worked flawlessly everytime

In your case it could be, (I am no expert or qualified by any means), that there is a problem with your knob arrangement. It should depress, draw a spark, open the valve, engage the thermocoupler and after a few seconds maintain a flame at the desired heat level. But if the igniter is not sparking perhaps the thermocoupler won't open the valve either.

Just a question... are your stove top sparker points and thermocoupler sensor clean and undamaged?

I cleaned, tested, removed, adjusted knob depth, etc. I also spoke with customer service from Catalina Direct who gave me the Seaward guys and we tried and tried, everything short of pulling the stove off. It was a no go. I am worried about breaking the glass top with no guarantee I can get the parts I need to replace it (though you have given me hope). I have spoken to others who have broken the stove when trying to remove. You were successful, do you have any pointers?

Charles

Catalina 250 WK SR Hull #475
College Station, TX
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2020 :  11:11:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

ah... no guaranties but you could use one or several 2" or so putty-knives to pry underneath all along the tempered glass plate edge and ever so slowly lift with your fingers the stove off the countertop starting in one corner.

Keep in mind that the edges of tempered glass if damaged or knicked can/will shatter the entire glass plate. The glass itself is very strong and can withstand the removal no problem

By the way, I noticed from the description page in the photo's I provided earlier that the black replacement gas-liter are also used for, I assume, propane gas fridges so perhaps your local rv appliance/fridge repair people will have a "Gas-liter" available

Please keep us updated

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2020 :  13:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also use piano wire along with the putty knife.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2020 :  14:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you Scott... how come I didn't think of that.
Piano wire will cut the seal without touching the glass while lifting the stove gently with a putty knife and your fingers

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2020 :  19:51:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would there be a PDF of the manual for the stove that is in your picture?
quote:

Charles

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2020 :  12:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry I do not have a PDF of the stove's manual.

Here is a parts list of the Princess Seaward model 1273 Max

All other instructions in the manual describe safety, operating precautions and disclaimers.

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page

LSM
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
14 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2020 :  16:58:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zeil,

Thanks fo the parts list. I was able to find a PDF of the 2273, so that should give me rest of the info to complete the package.

95 C250WB #140 Serindipity
Calgary, AB
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2020 :  15:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Restoring the black paint on the bottom edges of the stove which flaked when the stove was pried-off the galley's counter.

Henk & Johanna
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page