Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Compass Cover?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Don H
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/02/2020 :  05:46:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refurbed my compass this winter--a Ritchie HV-77 Helmsman, bulkhead mount--from 1997. Only afterward did I discover that the front cover for this compass, the HV-C, is no longer available ANYWHERE. I've tried dozens of sites, no luck. So, does anyone have an old HV-77 cover no longer in use that they'd part with, or have any of you dealt with this and found a good work around?

Don H

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2020 :  06:24:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this. Hv-c cover for a 77. https://www.windlass-anchor.com/ritchie-hv-c-helmsman-compass-cover-white-p/10544.htm It doesn't say out of stock.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/02/2020 06:26:48
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2020 :  16:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott, the website in my case did not show a photo of the cover.
In my case, my 3-3/4” Rule Saturn Aqua Meter A210 compass is still in beautiful shape. I take it home every winter so that it doesn’t crack and leak its oil, which has happened to me on other compasses.
The problem is that the thin molded plastic cover is on its last leg. It has cracked along several seams and I’ve succeeded at holding it together using white vinyl tape, but I know some day it’ll probably die.
I can make a plaster cast of the cover then form an epoxy and fiberglass replacement, but it sure would be nice to figure out a better way to duplicate the compass cover using a stiff plastic. Any thoughts on whether some shrink wrap would work???

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/02/2020 16:17:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2020 :  17:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, You could look for another compass that is 3 3/4". Maybe the cover for that one would fit on yours. A second thought is that one of those covers that cover the back of instruments in the interior might work depending on size. Maybe a plastic bowl? How about bringing a tape measure to the supermarket and start measuring all the plastic containers in the dairy isle? You might get lucky.

Edited by - islander on 03/02/2020 17:15:38
Go to Top of Page

Don H
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2020 :  18:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the thoughts.

Islander:Windlass was one of my first stops when I searched: while the site doesn't say this model is out of stock, it won't let you add the cover to your cart. Customer service explained that's because there is no stock, with no plans to replace it.

As to taking care of one's compass to avoid the problem, I couldn't agree more, but when you buy a used boat you can't go back in time on that front. Speaking of fronts, in this case the front and back covers are very different, as Ritchie explained to me and as is apparent from photos. It was a very particular cover.

If I had a wish, it's that I was told covers are no longer available at the outset, and that for paying 30% more than the refurb cost I could have purchased a replacement model for which covers ARE available. Buyer beware?

I'm still hopeful one will turn up. Otherwise its a toss up between the time I'll get before she gives out for being left uncovered, and the time that would need to be spent in the salad aisle and workshop fabricating replacements. Any glassblowing sailors out there with an interest?

Don H
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2020 :  05:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I remember that some forum members have made or bought a Sunbrella cover that is square and snaps to the bulkhead over the instruments. Might be a good alternative.

Go to Top of Page

Don H
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2020 :  15:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott: your idea for a snapped sunbrella compass cover is pragmatic, doable and the best alternative I didn't manage to think of. Thank you.

Don H
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2020 :  17:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have attached some sunbrella covers with velcro, and the advantage over snaps is that you don't have to drill screw holes in your gelcoat. The only disadvantage is that you'll probably have to replace the velcro every couple years. You use adhesive-backed velcro on the gelcoat, and sew velcro strips to the sunbrella.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Don H
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 03/03/2020 :  18:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An excellent option. Thanks Steve.

Don H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page