Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Bowspirit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/21/2020 :  16:32:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of installing a removable/retractable bowspirit on my boat.

Anyone use one? Anyone have a preference for brand? (Not interested in making my own fyi)

Here's a link to some: https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/category/2-Bowsprits.html

Erik

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  16:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only worked with a Selden on a friend's Jeanneau 45, and we flew his assym without one until he decided to add roller furling for the assym. I think it was necessary to use a roller furler, and helpful, but not necessary, to fly the assym without the furler.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  19:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are your objectives for a sprit?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2020 :  19:38:20  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Yogi Berra (I'm old enough to remember him) once said:

"It's like deja vu all over again."

Check this recent thread, Erik:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31702

No doubt there are other good questions remaining to be asked, but this'll cover some.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 01/21/2020 19:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2020 :  19:52:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To learn how to fly a spinnaker, both regular and assym types. I don't care if the Catalina isn't the perfect boat for it, its more of a training boat before we upgrade to a larger boat.

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

What are your objectives for a sprit?

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

Gunner
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Canada
12 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2020 :  17:10:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

I've owned by Catalina 25 for three years now and just started flying a spinnaker this summer. I was able to find a second hand symmetrical and asymmetrical and used them both a lot with some buddies that were willing to go out and try anything.

You definitely do not need a bowsprit. The effort required to install one would certainly not be worth the small performance boost. Better to spend your time learning to trim the sail properly. Once we started flying the spinnaker regularly we ended up winning first place in our class during club's race nights.

Have you read the website by Stingysailor? He has a handful of good ideas on rigging a spinnaker on his catalina 22, and basically everything applies directly to your boat. This is what got me started into the whole venture.

https://stingysailor.com/2015/07/11/how-to-rig-a-cruising-spinnaker-in-4-easy-stages-2/

Cheers!

Graham
Kingston, Ontario
S/V Shmoopy
'86 FK Inboard
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2020 :  08:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Graham - thanks for the link...great article.

Yes, I know I don't need a bowspirit and I doubt I would get any better performance from the boat, but that's not the point.

This is our training boat and I'm adding components to get us up to speed for the next boat. This year upgrades include a new main sail, upgraded solar and power banks, a gyro compass and a new electrical panel. Next year broadband radar & chart plotter.

Thanks again!

Erik

quote:
Originally posted by Gunner

Hi Erik,

I've owned by Catalina 25 for three years now and just started flying a spinnaker this summer. I was able to find a second hand symmetrical and asymmetrical and used them both a lot with some buddies that were willing to go out and try anything.

You definitely do not need a bowsprit. The effort required to install one would certainly not be worth the small performance boost. Better to spend your time learning to trim the sail properly. Once we started flying the spinnaker regularly we ended up winning first place in our class during club's race nights.

Have you read the website by Stingysailor? He has a handful of good ideas on rigging a spinnaker on his catalina 22, and basically everything applies directly to your boat. This is what got me started into the whole venture.

https://stingysailor.com/2015/07/11/how-to-rig-a-cruising-spinnaker-in-4-easy-stages-2/

Cheers!

Graham
Kingston, Ontario
S/V Shmoopy
'86 FK Inboard

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2020 :  12:47:43  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Erik,

I have used the Selden sprit on a Catalina 36 mkII.

As a training boat, the bowsprit kit may not be an adequate comparison to a boat which was designed for a bowsprit from the beginning.

Most boats designed with a bowsprit have a method of deploying/retracting the sprit without having to leave the cockpit. This is not the case with these bowsprit kits. With these kits you still need a bow man to go up there and physically move the sprit from park position to deployed and back again.

I might opt for the Facnor kit over the Selden because the Facnor appears to be easily detached.

The Selden we used did not require the parking and deploying pad-eyes to be in-line with both each other and the sprit retaining ring(the Facnor also appears to be designed this way). That's hard to picture because it's a bunch of words, but what it means is we could park the sprit off to the side, then slide it forward and back over toward the center to deploy it. Because the sprit isn't limited to just forward/back movement once mounted, you can avoid deck hardware and other things which might otherwise get in the way.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2020 :  16:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Cornelison

...This is our training boat and I'm adding components to get us up to speed for the next boat. This year upgrades include a new main sail, upgraded solar and power banks, a gyro compass and a new electrical panel. Next year broadband radar & chart plotter.
Hi Erik... Just don't go overboard thinking you're increasing the value of the C-25 for a future sale. In the sailboat market, an '86 C-25 is pretty much an '86 C-25 in terms of value, and making her sparkle will do more for attracting a buyer than adding bells and whistles. People in that market segment are not likely, for example, to put a lot of value on a fancy electrical system, new broadband radar, and multi-function display, because if they are into the type of cruising where these are valuable, they're probably looking at bigger boats, just as you plan to. I'm not trying to talk you out of anything--I love my Simrad electonics (similar to B&G for sailors)--just checking that you're doing it mostly for you and not mostly for the market.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/28/2020 07:35:00
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/29/2020 :  10:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto on that. When I was looking for Passage I saw a lot of poorly maintained or downright yuckie C25s.
Then I saw Dave’s Passage.
BOOM!
Fell in love and that was it.
Clean and shiny goes a lot farther than cool gizmos.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 02/02/2020 :  11:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks, that's the kind of information I was seeking for the different bow spirits available from people who've used them before.

Erik

I have used the Selden sprit on a Catalina 36 mkII.

As a training boat, the bowsprit kit may not be tn adequate comparison to a boat which was designed for a bowsprit from the beginning.

Most boats designed with a bowsprit have a method of deploying/retracting the sprit without having to leave the cockpit. This is not the case with these bowsprit kits. With these kits you still need a bow man to go up there and physically move the sprit from park position to deployed and back again.

I might opt for the Facnor kit over the Selden because the Facnor appears to be easily detached.

The Selden we used did not require the parking and deploying pad-eyes to be in-line with both each other and the sprit retaining ring(the Facnor also appears to be designed this way). That's hard to picture because it's a bunch of words, but what it means is we could park the sprit off to the side, then slide it forward and back over toward the center to deploy it. Because the sprit isn't limited to just forward/back movement once mounted, you can avoid deck hardware and other things which might otherwise get in the way.
[/quote]

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2020 :  12:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished installing at Selden bow sprit 2 weeks ago. Here a few notes on the installation. Disclaimer: I've yet to sail with it, the boat is still on the trailer as I finish up some unrelate projects.

I went with the 75mm instead of the recommended 72mm. I calculated that I need a min USL (unsupported length) of 31" to clear the pulpit. Using the Selden worksheets, I calculated the RM30 (Righting Moment at 30deg) for a Catalina 25 to be 7.2kNm . Also, I have a I have a Selden CX10 furler and Doyle UPS, so I used the Code 0 sizing chart, which recommends max USL 40" and min DBS 28". My current setup is 39" USL, 46" DBS.

To clear the furler , deck hardware, and anchor roller, the mounts points are raised 1" off the deck along the port side of the bow. I cut 2 blocks of 1" G10 and gel coated. The blocks allow the sprit to clear the bow cleat and I'm able to offset the forward mount point. I also have some access to the anchor locker, but when fully deployed, it does limit access. The tip of the sprit is aligned exactly with the center line of the boat. The continuous furling lines are run back to a Selden Tandem Block (SEL40500140R) in the cockpit. The sheets are run back thru turning blocks (CD #Z1821) mounted on the stern, and back forward to a winch and raised cam cleat. I have a Spinnaker Crane installed on the mast (CD #Z2686), but I fear that it might not be strong enough when I tension the luff of the UPS to furl and unfurl. I need to drop the mast and reposition the spinnaker block if I have enough clearance. I'll update once I have some experience as to how well it works out.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2020 :  14:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bejoye - thanks for the positive response, you changed my mind on which unit to purchase, as your setup look great. Please post an update after some sailing with the bowspirit and your thoughts on it.

best regards,
Erik

quote:
Originally posted by bjoye

I just finished installing at Selden bow sprit 2 weeks ago. Here a few notes on the installation. Disclaimer: I've yet to sail with it, the boat is still on the trailer as I finish up some unrelate projects.

I went with the 75mm instead of the recommended 72mm. I calculated that I need a min USL (unsupported length) of 31" to clear the pulpit. Using the Selden worksheets, I calculated the RM30 (Righting Moment at 30deg) for a Catalina 25 to be 7.2kNm . Also, I have a I have a Selden CX10 furler and Doyle UPS, so I used the Code 0 sizing chart, which recommends max USL 40" and min DBS 28". My current setup is 39" USL, 46" DBS.

To clear the furler , deck hardware, and anchor roller, the mounts points are raised 1" off the deck along the port side of the bow. I cut 2 blocks of 1" G10 and gel coated. The blocks allow the sprit to clear the bow cleat and I'm able to offset the forward mount point. I also have some access to the anchor locker, but when fully deployed, it does limit access. The tip of the sprit is aligned exactly with the center line of the boat. The continuous furling lines are run back to a Selden Tandem Block (SEL40500140R) in the cockpit. The sheets are run back thru turning blocks (CD #Z1821) mounted on the stern, and back forward to a winch and raised cam cleat. I have a Spinnaker Crane installed on the mast (CD #Z2686), but I fear that it might not be strong enough when I tension the luff of the UPS to furl and unfurl. I need to drop the mast and reposition the spinnaker block if I have enough clearance. I'll update once I have some experience as to how well it works out.

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page