Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Torqeedo Wiring
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/17/2019 :  17:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several years ago, I wanted to reduce my carbon footprint, eliminate the noise and the smells of a gasoline outboard. So, I replaced my Mercury outboard engine with an electric Torqeedo. I have never regretted my decision. It's been a "learning situation" with no one locally who had any first-hand information regarding this sort of outboard power. I have learned a "ton". And, I've made several additions since the original install. I've posted to my Barnacle Bill Blog an update. Enjoy...
http://barnaclebillholcomb.blogspot.com/

Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2019 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been on a boat driven by a Torqeedo--the silence was wonderful! I applaud your contribution! I guess I went the other way... ...although at 5-6 mph my big Honda (essentially idling) is barely audible, and sucks some fraction of a gallon per hour. I'll defer on talking about the footprint at 25 mph cruise, but who knows--it might not look bad compared to coal-fired electricity to generate the same power.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

keats
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
215 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2019 :  05:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting Bill and nice work. This illustrates why battery development has become the Holy Grail of electric transport.

Your lead-acid batteries have a specific energy of about 30 watt-hours per kilogram. If you could fit up a lithium-ion battery bank you could take that up to 150 Wh/kg which is quite an improvement.

The Tesla NCA batteries have an even more impressive specific energy of about 250 Wh/kg. I think smaller versions of these batteries will become safer and more commercially available for applications like yours.

Now compare that to gasoline at 12000 Wh/kg and, yikes, you can see how that will be hard to replace.

Tim Keating
1985 C-25 TR/FK #4940
Midsummer
Lake Don Pedro, CA
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2019 :  21:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by keats

Now compare that to gasoline at 12000 Wh/kg and, yikes, you can see how that will be hard to replace.
But once that kg of gasoline is "discharged", it's gone forever--more like the Energizer Bunny.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/18/2019 21:46:06
Go to Top of Page

Grato
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
13 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2020 :  13:33:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,
Thanks for your post. I have been researching Torqueedo outboards (again) and seriously considering going that route this year. I'm tired of the brain damage and stress the carb causes me on my old outboard!

Although Torqueedo "recommends" the Cruise 2.0 for sailboats up to 3 tons, I was a bit skeptical. My current outboard is a Yamaha 9.9 but after thinking about the HP loss at altitude (I sail at 9017') it's really only a 7.2 HP motor, and an old one at that, and I almost never go full throttle. So happy to hear you have only good things to say about the Cruise 2.0.

I am also really pleased to hear that you could make a 30nm trip on a single charge with your original (2) battery bank. I only motor out of my slip long enough to raise the mainsail and then at the end of the session motor back in to the slip. So I'd be drawing off the battery bank for about 15 min's tops and maybe .75nm per session. Since I don't have shore power at my slip, I am hoping to take it totally off the grid by installing (2) 50W P.V. panels wired in series (24V system) to top off the batteries when the motor isn't in use. I'm planning on using (2) 12V / 100Ah AGM batteries wired in series as you have (24V system) for the power bank. I will of course start off with fully charged cells before the solar trickle charging scheme.

-Mark

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2020 :  18:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

quote:
Originally posted by keats

But once that kg of gasoline is "discharged", it's gone forever--more like the Energizer Bunny.

I applaud Bill. I've lusted for a quiet electric motor setup for years, but the energy density issue and the relative cost per Wh have been insurmountable hurdles for me.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page