Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 SNAP Button Screws
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/15/2019 :  10:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add Snap buttons to my Cat 25. I intend to place them under my windows so that I can add a full Sunbrella cover over my cabin area. I would like to hear from any member regarding drilling into the gelcoat. Any techniques? Thanks

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/16/2019 :  02:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One technique is to start the hole with a countersink bit. Drill it to the point that the gel coat is removed where the actual hole will be. This prevents the gel coat from cracking around the actual drill bit.

Then dab some sealant in the hole before inserting the snap.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2019 :  12:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Davy J, that sounds like a good method.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2019 :  16:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google "how to drill gelcoat" Lots of information and how to's. I would also suggest when placing the location of the snaps, Leave the canvas slightly loose. Cloth has a tendency to shrink over time and you might find it difficult to snap it down in a few years.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/18/2019 16:12:21
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/18/2019 :  17:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has been a long time, but my recollection is that the vertical sections of fiberglass in that area aren't backed by plywood. So, if you screw the snaps through the fairly thin fiberglass, there won't be much thickness for the screw threads to bite into.

Rather than using screws to hold the cover in place, I suggest you use bungees to secure it. It you want to be sure that the fabric hangs close to the windows to block sunlight, sew a piece of 7/16" line into the hem under the windows. The bungees will hold the cover in place and the weight of the line will prevent the wind from lifting that part in all but the windiest conditions. The best part is that you won't have to drill holes in your fiberglass, which is always a potential trouble spot.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Enchantment II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
88 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2019 :  09:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve.

Joseph Henderson
82-CAT 25 TR SK
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2019 :  10:30:04  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aren't the snaps for the pop top cover screwed right into the side of the cabin? they are on my boat at least.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2019 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine too. I’m sure they’ve leaked for 33 years. Would’ve been great if they had never been installed?
I have a tarp I can use to cover the cabintop from the mast aft to the companionway. I usually tie it down with lines tied to the stanchion bases.
I lost my pop top cover ( the original reason for the snaps I reckon) in my garage fire this summer. Perhaps this winter I’ll remove them and patch the gelcoat with MarineTex

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/22/2019 15:47:18
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2019 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

...I lost my pop top cover ( the original reason for the snaps I reckon) in my garage fire this summer. Perhaps this winter I’ll remove them and patch the gelcoat with MarineTex
Small holes like that can be filled with gelcoat patch in a tube. That should remain invisible after sun exposure when Marine Tex might not. To keep snaps from leaking, a drop of Captain Tolley’s at the base of each should do it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/22/2019 19:53:59
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2019 :  17:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave, I’ll look for a tube next time I’m at the chandlery.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2019 :  20:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Enchantment II

I would like to add Snap buttons to my Cat 25. I intend to place them under my windows so that I can add a full Sunbrella cover over my cabin area. I would like to hear from any member regarding drilling into the gelcoat. Any techniques? Thanks

Just "tuned" into this discussion. I recently fabricated some sheet bags for my Cat 25 as a small project with a Ultrafeed sewing machine I just bought. This kit included YKK® SNAD® White 25mm Adhesive Backed Domed Studs to snap the bags to the cockpit bulkheads adjacent to the companionway. These disk are a composite material so they may not be what you're looking for, but they don't require drilling more holes into your boat. Just a suggestion.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page