Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Model of stove
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/29/2019 :  09:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My new-to-me 2008 250 does not have a stove. I'm thinking about installing one who knows, maybe I'll use it, or maybe just to make it seem like a "big boat." Anyone know the model stove used in these boats?

Thanks

Dan Jordan

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  14:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking for a fully gimbaled non-pressurized alcohol stove (aka curtain burner) or something using propane or butane?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  14:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, Catalina Direct offered the following butane stove
Unfortunately this is no longer available, so I’d recommend the Max Burton (no schitzu) butane stove.
Picture here

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/29/2019 14:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  17:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tossed the "curtain burner" years ago and also bought a Max Burton. It works well if anyting it gets pretty hot even on low.
I use the space below the cutting board to store the stove, it comes in a case, and my cooking gear.
P.S. I threw the "curtan burner" in the dumpster. Wouldn't even give it away.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify, the C250 was never sold with a "curtain burner" alcohol stove. It debuted around '95 with a CNG canister under the galley, which is OK because NG is lighter than air. In '96 or '97 they switched to a compressed butane canister under the galley, which is very dangerous because butane would settle into the bilge. Starting in '98 they went to the much safer 10 lb LP tank in a vented locker with electrical solenoid and electronic spark lighter. The latter was ABYC compliant. I believe that all of them used a similar Princess one-burner stove (with orifice changes for the different fuel), except maybe at the very end of their production run when Catalina may have had to change to a different model.

I'd expect that a 2008 C250 must have remnants of this much safer ABYC compliant installation, and I'd encourage trying to find an LP burner that will work with it. Maybe you can find a used one salvaged from one of the soon-to-be-available hurricane boats.

The little green propane bottles are dangerous to have inside the cabin (or an unvented locker) because propane will settle into the bilge. If you want to cook on the boat and don't want to do what's needed to make the interior installation safe, I'd suggest an exterior Magma grill or similar. Just make sure to find a safe outdoor place to store the gas bottles. The gasoline locker would be a good place, since it has scupper vents.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/29/2019 19:06:56
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  19:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick,
I get the emphasis on safety. When I first purchased my butane stove I had four cans in a Rubbermaid container. After a little while one of the cans started to rust and I could smell gas one day. I put that container in the stove and put the stove out in the parking lot and let the bottle empty out. Since then I carry two bottles: the current bottle and one spare in the fuel locker. So far so good. I was imagining the KA-BOOM!! Dodged that bullet.
Since I bought the Magma grill, I use the same tack with the little green bottles.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2019 :  21:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ABYC-compliant version Catalina eventually offered is not a simple installation. The tank is outside of the cabin, and the stove has a thermo-couple wired to a solenoid that shuts off the gas if there isn't heat at the burner (for example, if wind blows out the flame). I might not buy a boat if it had a system like that installed by an amateur, and a marine surveyor would probably spot that. He would also definitely spot a non-compliant system.

A safe, simple, built-in option is a drop-in Origo two-burner non-pressurized alcohol stove. Cut the hole, mount the unit, and you're done. It doesn't quite "cook like gas", but many serious cruisers swear by its simplicity and safety. The fuel is cheap and safe to store. A glass lid adds a little utility.

I like my portable butane burner, but I was also satisfied with our Origo replacement for the original pressurized alcohol "curtain burner" in our C-25.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2019 :  21:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rust never sleeps!!! I checked my propane and butane canisters in the fuel locker and wouldn’t you just know it? One of my 1# propane canisters is just starting to rust on the bottom. I keep them in a small plastic tub so they don’t rattle around while underway and dampness got in there. I hit it with some steel wool and the rust is only on the surface, but it’s a start. Keep safe out there folks.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 09/03/2019 :  11:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see if I can find a good hiding place for the portable butane stove, otherwise the priceier Origo might be the way to go.

Dan Jordan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page