Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Long Beach to Channel Islands Harbor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2019 :  16:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am closing on a fixed keel 2008 Catalina 250 in a few days. It's in Alamitos Bay (Long Beach), I'm up in Channel Islands Harbor. What are owner opinions on sailing the boat with a couple of experienced crew and waiting for good weather windows up here. I would plan first to sail it around in the Long Beach area to "break it in" (break us in). Then when good and comfortable, take it west to Cabrillo and make the first run either to King Harbor or if all is well, to Marina del Rey. Then wait for another window to make the long run from MdR to Channel Islands. All of this will be waiting for this hanging on "June Gloom" to finally break up. I'm just used to bigger boats, had to downsize. This boat has a 2008 electric Yamaha 9.9. Everything seems all but brand new, the boat has been barely used.

Dan Jordan

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2019 :  11:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to a fellow who was planning a trip from Channel Islands Harbor to Marina Del Rey. It might provide some useful information for that leg of the trip. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/threads/sailing-from-oxnard-to-marina-del-rey-ca.163689/

Small boats are primarily designed for sailing in sheltered waters, but they can certainly make passages in open waters with a weather window. I suggest you plan conservatively on averaging 4 kts boat speed, and bring more than enough fuel to motor the entire distance if necessary. Whenever your actual speed drops below 4 kts, start the engine.

I know nothing about any currents along that coast, and that could be an issue to consider, so you should discuss it with locals.

It looks like a trip that can be made in a long day of sailing or motoring.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2019 :  15:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks for the link. The 4 knots reference is a good suggestion, the kind of think I was looking for. Currents generally run N to S. Looks like about 35 miles Cabrillo to MdR, and I think you're right, about 45 MdR to Channel Islands. I'll bring an extra gas can for the ride.

Dan Jordan
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2019 :  18:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thought - I suggest you leave at the break of dawn each day to ensure that you leave in daylight and arrive in daylight. Entering some inlets at night can be treacherous. Even a familiar inlet might look very different at night.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2019 :  05:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you're "used to bigger boats", I suspect you already know this, but also consider whether at your ETA for an inlet, the tide will be running against a likely opposing wind. That can create a nasty combination of vertical wind waves and standing waves from reflections off the sides of the inlet. Your outboard could end up catching a lot of air. (It can be useful to watch another vessel pass through before you enter, and if necessary, wait outside for the tidal current to ease.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/22/2019 05:18:13
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2019 :  06:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most sailors I know that have a destination and time limits always have enough fuel to complete the trip under power with fuel to spare. They never count on sailing due to wind speeds and direction. If it turns out that you can sail or motor sail they consider that a gift.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2019 :  07:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re suggestions, thanks for the tips. Yes, we'll leave at first light. I've charted Cabrillo to MdR as about 40+ miles. I'll look for both a weather and currents/tides window, I'm in no rush. I measured a six gallon gas can to see if it will fit in the locker, if not, keep it up top as back up. I plan first to sail the boat around a lot inside the Long Beach breakwater, then go outside, just get used to this different platform.

Dan Jordan
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2019 :  07:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just don't try to exercise your "rights" with the container ships!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

DrDanJ
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
15 Posts

Response Posted - 08/23/2019 :  09:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Just don't try to exercise your "rights" with the container ships!

Out here in the Channel of Channel Islands you learn real fast to stay out of their way! Especially since Port Hueneme is just to the south - you never know whether they are barreling on up the channel or will make the sudden turn into the port. And those suckers move!

Dan Jordan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page