Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Whadda Surprise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/20/2019 :  15:09:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The northeast has been having excessively hot, muggy weather with temps in the mid to high 90's. With that forecast I had expected Saturday to be way to hot with little to no wind, and all the power boat guys racing about turning our section of the sound into something along the line of a washing machine, but my son was home so we decided to go to the boat early and take a look. What a surprise -- It was close to a perfect day for sailing! 12-15 shifting from S to SW to S. We were out early and sailed until 3:00 and only came in because we had a prior engagement to get ready for. These are the kind of surprises that make it all worth while: a perfect sailing day! Hope others had similar fortune.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2019 :  17:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter, You just ruined my day. I was back and forth about going out today thinking the same as you. Last place I wanted to be with this heat and humidity is on a becalmed boat being knocked around by one wake after another. Decided to hang by the pool and AC. Being retired you quickly find out that you leave the weekends for the warriors and go sailing during the week when you have the pond all to yourself or close to it. Glad you had a good day.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 07/20/2019 17:03:45
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2019 :  18:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott -- hear ya. I played hooky on Monday and had a great sail with NO power boats or anything other than Jr program Opti's to compete with. Very relaxing and fun. Weekends are challenging trying to share space with the warriors -- but today, the wind worked and heat held many of them at bay!!

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2019 :  19:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today off Stratford and Milford was pretty good. The wind admittedly was up and down, but when I was sailing 60° to apparent wind between noon and 4:00pm I was doing between 3.5 and 4.8 kts and often at 15° of heel.
It was damn hot out there though. My handheld anemometer read 95° close to shore and 88° out at Middle Ground.
The wind died after the seabreeze quit but sailing was good mostly.
I saw quite a few wave runners and ski boats with tubers splashing it up. Later, toward evening, the transient sailors anchored up behind Charles Island for the overnight.
Tomorrow should be a carbon copy of today however late in the day we may have a few T’storms as the cool front approaches the area.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2019 :  19:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wish I were with Sarge this weekend where I could generate some of those wakes... I won't be home till Monday--then Tuesday, look out Fishers Island Sound sailors--Sarge might be on the loose! She spends much of her time at "no-wake speed", but that can change where the regs and the traffic are right. With guests (I can accommodate 7-8), I gravitate toward quiet sailing speed, except to get to some of the more interesting things to see--then we might "get up and go."

Sorry... Sarge out and monitoring 9, 1-3, and 1-6.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page