Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnaker Pole Topping-Lift / Up-Haul
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gunner
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
12 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/17/2019 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, me again.

How are you guys running the rigging for your spinnaker pole? Specifically I am trying to find a way to mount an up-haul / topping-lift, however you call it to keep the spinnaker pole level so it doesn't nosedive the sail nearly into the water.

The best I can think of would be a dedicated block mounted to the mast, half way up or more. But for now i’m using a track car at the top of my foremast track with a block attached. It works, but not well, and the $100 track car I purchased is a poor use of money. I kind of want to return it if I can find a better solution. Any thoughts?

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2019 :  04:10:06  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
mine is just what you say. a block halfway up the mast. i think it needs to be higher so you have a little more up in the angle, and less back towards the mast.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2019 :  19:34:09  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think spinnaker pole topping-lift blocks are usually located a little below the spreaders. There they're pulling against the aft lower shrouds, not pulling the mast out of column mid-panel.

Yes, I understand the normal loads aren't very high. However, I used mine to hoist one end of a heavy dinghy on deck.

— Leon

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page