Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Furler Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

seanmt13
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/15/2019 :  19:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have an old flexible furler from when I bought the boat. The top swivel attachment broke. Now I can't furl in the jib because the halyard will wrap around the forestay. I am not wanting to replace the whole furling system yet. Do you think I could just get away with purchasing a top swivel like this?

https://www.velasailingsupply.com/harken-upper-swivel-for-small-boat-furling/

Sean Thornton

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2019 :  19:58:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does the top of the furler foil look like? Does the forestay run through the furler foil or does it run alongside it?
Does the top of the foil have some kind of a cap or an eye? If the forestay runs through the foil, would you also run the forestay through the swivel somehow?
I had a different furler setup on my daysailer. There was a furler spinner or furler body on the foredeck, a swivel on the halyard and the jib had a luff wire built in with an eye on the top and bottom. There was no foil. I attached the head end of the luff wire to the swivel, the bottom end of the wire to the furler body and the sail would just wrap around itself on the luff wire. The forestay was about 4" forward of the furler and it did not interfere with the sail.
I'm not sure that would work for a much larger sail as on a C25/250.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2019 :  20:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CDI is still in business, and their furlers have gone through a few generations. Get the model number, probably on the drum somewhere, and contact them. You'll only get speculation here.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/15/2019 20:27:39
Go to Top of Page

seanmt13
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2019 :  20:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The forestay runs through the aluminum furler foil. The top does have a plastic cap with pulley that doesn't swivel. (I am guessing to use as a guide for the halyard?). Maybe I am missing something but i don't see how if I run my halyard up the mast through the masthead pulley block and connect it to the jib it won't wrap around the forestay when trying to furl in the sail. The image below is a rudimentary drawing of what I have. I was thinking I could attach a top swivel to the top of the orange line and it would work.

Sean Thornton
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  03:55:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First let me say I dont have a CDI but from what I understand they dont use a swivel in their furler. They use an internal halyard. You don't use your halyard.A built-in halyard maximizes reliability and will eliminate halyard wrap as seen on external halyard systems.

quote:
The top does have a plastic cap with pulley that doesn't swivel.

Possibly your just missing the haylard line. Look at these photos. Does the plastic cap with the pulley look similar to these photos of a CDI system?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/16/2019 05:21:33
Go to Top of Page

seanmt13
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  07:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Mine is an older model but it should work the same. I will contact CDI and see if i can get an internal halyard for it.

Sean Thornton
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  08:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Getting back to your original post (I didn't follow the link there), the general rule of thumb is: Don't buy Harken parts for a CDI system, and the converse. (Other names apply under the rule.)

The current CDI furlers have their own halyards built in, making "halyard wrap" a non-issue. Most other furlers on the market use the boat's halyard to pull the swivel up the foil with the head of the sail attached to it. But most rely on a "retaining block" on the front of the mast a little below the mast-head, through which the halyard runs from the mast-head to the top of the swivel. This angles the halyard away from the forestay so that the halyard tension keeps the top of the swivel from turning and wrapping the halyard around the stay. You need to do what's needed to replicate what CDI's configuration was for that older model.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/16/2019 09:26:48
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  09:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have called CDI’s customer support when I was installing a new flexible furler. They were extremely helpful. Realize they are in Canada, but their stateside 800 number goes right through to them.

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  16:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean, Don't get excited just yet. The difficult part will be fishing the haylard through the extrusion. That might be difficult or easy. Ask CDI if they have some tips on how to. I'm sure others have had to replace the line. If it's difficult then you can curse the idiot that pulled the old haylard out without a messenger line on it.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/16/2019 16:48:40
Go to Top of Page

capted
1st Mate

Members Avatar

39 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  18:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have a CDI furler with an aluminum extrusion it's an old model like I have. It would be easy to replace the internal halyard if the mast is down- just run the new line up through the extension and over the pulley. The run to the sail is outside the extrusion. If the mast is up, I have disassembled the furler piece by piece until the pulley is accessible. This involves disconnecting the forestay and removing the furling drum, then piece by piece of the extrusion, which is in 3 foot segments. However, having lost several parts including the drum overboard while attempting this, I suggest you drop the mast as the easiest approach. Most of the parts are not available, so if you lose anything you need to buy substitutes from CDI. The old halyard comes with a removable pigtail so it may be best to source a new one from CDI. Good luck
Ed
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2019 :  20:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sean,
Last year, we had one problem after another repairing an older CDI furler where we were determined it could be repaired rather than just giving up and purchasing a new one.

Yes, the company was purchased at around 2016-17 from an update New York outfit by a Winnipeg, Canadian firm. The new owner is Jeff Warren and his son, Taylor Warren, is the Tech Support point of contact. The support we received from both father and son was outstanding and Taylor understood our furler's problem spot-on and helped us to repair it by replacing older components with new ones saving us from purchasing a new furler.

I agree with Dave and others above and suggest you call Taylor at tel 844.379.2407 or email at
twarren@sailcdi.com

I am certain he will help even if your's is not a CDI and can direct you accordingly. Let us know how it all works out.

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

seanmt13
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
4 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2019 :  06:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help. Yes I think the trick will be getting the new internal halyard line run up while the mast is still up. I can get to the top of the mast where the plastic cap is. So I should be able to feed it through there. I just hope i can get the line to run all the way through the aluminum foil without having to take each peace apart. I will call CDI as you guys have suggested to see if they have any extra tips. Thanks for all the help.

Sean Thornton
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2019 :  04:14:48  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i "fixed" a freinds halyard on his mac 26. he did not have the special cdi halyard. I used a 1/8 bit of amsteel. it fits in the luff slot, and was slippery enough to slide through the hole at the top. His did not have a block, only a hole that had been chamfered.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page