Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 C250 WB Launch Adventures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/13/2019 :  13:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C250 WB Launch Adventures

I launched the boat on Tuesday afternoon, after hoping to have done it the Saturday before. Everything went great on Saturday, I had my sons helping out, but the outboard wouldn’t start, and then the jib furler was messed up. So, I buttoned it back up and went after it again on Tuesday.

I was by myself on Tuesday. I dropped the rig back into the mast crutch, raised to max height. Being by myself, I didn’t want to drop it all the way due to the angle and forces, plus I can either 1) man the winch or 2) guide the mast. So, I left it up high in the crutch.

At that point I decided to check the mast electrical and lights, and glad I did as a few lights weren’t coming on. I shot the deck plug with electrical cleaner, then cleaned up the bulb contacts, then screwed the deck plug down tight and all was good.

The head fitting on the furler was incorrectly turned 180 degrees, and correspondingly the special halyard fitting was on the wrong side of the luff tape. I made that installation mistake last year, the jib halyard was just a strange setup all season, so I (finally) read the manual and figured out that I had it backwards. I was hoping to drop a keeper pin at the furling drum and have enough play to rotate the head fitting, but no luck. So, I had to take the furler off. At this point, the universe took care of me. A couple was walking by and asked if they could help. Yes please! Turns out they just moved here to Utah from Connecticut, he had a C36 out there. So we talked shop will he help me 1) take the tension off the forestay pin and 2) lower the furler to the ground gently. His timing was perfect, there’s no way I could have done that myself. I reworked the furler on the ground, super easy. I was able to reinstall it without help by getting it up on deck and then using bungies to line it up so that the forces at the top of the mast were manageable for the reinstallation. It worked GREAT. However, I of course for some reason left the top most bungie in place (why?) and upon going to raise the mast had to back it down again to take off that bungie. Sigh.

Lights and mast taken care of I then raised (and then re-raised, per the above) the mast. I went very slowly because from the winch position I couldn’t see the side stays at the chain plates (which can bind badly) or the stay alignment at the top and mid mast. So, I took it all easy and got the mast upright, all ship shape and seamanlike. At that point I had to reattach for forestay pin and needed help again. I got one of the marina guys to help but he wanted $20. What? So, 5 minutes and $20 later the forestay pin was in place. That’s $240/hr for that guy, for those still reading. I also messed with the lower shroud tuning a bit, not sure if I accomplished anything positive there.

I then rehung the outboard, which I had taken to the shop on Monday and they checked it out. They said I flooded it, it was all fine. OK, there’s some chagrin there. But then when I rehung the outboard on Tuesday night, exact same problems, and I wasn’t flooding it. I took the cowling off, and 30 minutes of observation of levers, cams, and push rods later… I figured out that the idle control is all jacked up. I was able to figure out how to “hold it just right” and the engine ran like a champ. (Upon further research afterwards, there’s a retaining clip missing on that idle control. Not sure how the shop guy didn’t notice that, or how it didn’t affect him during the test.)

With the outboard running fine, it was time to launch. I thought it through a bit, decided to go it alone. Probably never again! First, I had the winch strap attached to the boat… but in the wrong position. When I backed in, the boat took off, the winch spinning, and went out about 15’. Yikes! Fortunately I was able to winch it back onto the front roller so I could then still get on the boat. I started the outboard and let it keep running while I then I backed in a bit further. The boat was rocking free in the trailer bunks, so I unclipped the winch strap, climbed onto the bow (that’s always awkward), and then gave the trailer upright a shove. All good. Scurried back to the outboard, hit reverse… and nothing. The boat was stuck. Grrr. I tried to push off of the trailer mast again, got a few inches. Then I just put that old outboard into full warp, rotated it back and forth… and slowly, slowly she came off the trailer. Success!

I docked, and then moved the truck off the ramp while the ballast tanks filled. I did a lap around the harbor for the fun of it, and then tied up to my mooring ball. I shut off the outboard and just sat there for awhile enjoying the setting sun.

I have a short 8’ kayak that I use to shuttle back and forth from the boat to the ramp/lot, it all works out well. My daughter and I are sailing and camping on the boat Friday/Saturday, pretty great Fathers Day. I’m jealous of all of you who have long sailing seasons. It’s mid-June and this is the earliest practical date to launch, and we usually have to take the boat off my mid-October.

Fair winds!

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Edited by - doublereefed on 06/13/2019 13:27:00

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2019 :  13:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always said that if you want entertainment just get a six pack and a lawn chair and go to any launch ramp and enjoy the show! Glad it all worked out.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2019 :  14:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sounds only too familiar... been there done that.

In addition we had the up-haul cable break just as the boat started to float with the center board trapped between the trailer's cross beams.

Back on the trailer, mast down again, fix, raise the mast and re-launch.

Thanks for the description and photo's

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2019 :  18:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True that, Scott. I get my boat ready in Spring right by the ramp on Granite Pier, and its a great pleasure to take a break when some guys who have started early launch, pull the trailer, and then the guy in the boat remembers too late that he forgot to put in the plug. Meanwhile his buddies have pulled away to park. Very disappointing...

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2019 :  22:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doublereefed, is that Jordanelle Reservoir? (I live down in Lehi.)

—Jim

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
1996 Catalina 250 WB #191 "Mariah"
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2019 :  07:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim - yes that's Jordanelle. I ramp launched from the the mast-up lot at Deer Creek for several years, but then finally got a mooring ball at Jordanelle. Are you campaigning a C250 here in Utah as well?

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2019 :  20:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DoubleReefed, I don’t have a boat yet but will probably be in a position to buy in the next two years or so (I’ve been lurking on these forums for about twelve years now—had to get my education done, career started up, and family established first.) If you ever need a spare hand for launch or haul-out, I’d love to help out; so feel free to message me.

The admiral and I have been having an ongoing discussion about where we’d be sailing out of. How is Deer Creek? Its location is certainly closer to home than Jordanelle; but it strikes me as being a bit narrow. (Utah Lake doesn’t seem that appealing unless/until they can get it cleaned up and quit getting those toxic algae blooms).

—Jim

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah
Go to Top of Page

Critical Path
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
2 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to this Forum, so a little benefit of the doubt would be appreciated.
From all I read about your adventure, this is exactly why I am not trailering this boat. I want to Kayak from the back yard, maybe 100yds. and go. In my opinion, cleaning a moored boat will need to be at a scheduled via a near by Marina Transient slip. At least that is the plan. We have low tide passage issues to the Gulf , barrier islands to beach at sand bars where we can maintain the bottom before the next paint job.

So, we are considering the purchase of a 250 and keeping it moored (anchored) in the back yard. The Cat 25SW or 250WK will not allow us out in back between tide cycles. While moored and after a day of sailing, I want to be able to empty the ballast without raising the boat. All the research I have done, including Catalina Support Folks advises me to not leave the boat in the water for any extended period of time. I am not a trailer sailor. We need the 250WB for it's 24" draft scenario.

How long do you leave this 250WB at the mooring? I do want to encounter leaks, smell and any other researched ballast issues regarding this specific boat. I did read in another forum that an electric bilge pump or filling the vent pipe with no more than 1psi air volume and opening the ballast valve. Assume I'd need some non evasive color dye to know when the ballast is empty?
I'm new to the 250, had a 25SK for years prior in the Texas lakes, but do not care for the old design versus the 250 and it's walk out transom.

Any thoughts from all you seasoned 250 WB sailors would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:41:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crystal Blue, if you are still out there... I am just seeing this! I will send you a PM. Jordanelle is great for sailing, but I liked sailing Deer Creek more. But... no marina, had to launch and retrieve to mast up storage on site each time. That's all good, but I can sail all the time now, crew or not.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2021 :  11:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Critical Path: I have no idea how people put up with rigging and de-rigging every Saturday they want to launch and sail. It's a big deal, takes two athletic people. It is completely doable, and well thought out... but I would never go through that whole process every (Satur)day. I have a hard bottom on my boat, it sits in fresh water mid-May through mid-October. It develops a little fur, I clean it once or twice but not very well, and then pressure wash at the end of the season. No idea on pumping out the air. But, you have a lot of constraints so give it a go. I don't think anyone has enough experience for exactly what you are trying to address. One thought, the boat will be extremely tender without the ballast, not sure what that means for being on a mooring.

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/22/2021 :  19:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a little concerned that floating a C250WB with empty ballast tank would be a little like trying to float a rubber duckie upside down. Center of gravity would be way too high. These boats are already known to hunt around at anchor, and with the centerboard up that would be even worse, so you'd likely get a side wind against the mast which could flip her over. No ballast means no righting moment.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

crystal_blue
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
58 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  15:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to know, DoubleReefed; thanks. Did you find you needed to use a tongue extension/tow strap at the ramp at Deer Creek?

--Jim

Jim and Crystal Smith
Lehi, Utah

Edited by - crystal_blue on 03/21/2021 15:38:29
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 03/21/2021 :  20:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. Fortunately it's a deep ramp. Honestly, I wish I had a WK now. I launch once a year, retrieve once a year.

quote:
Originally posted by crystal_blue

Good to know, DoubleReefed; thanks. Did you find you needed to use a tongue extension/tow strap at the ramp at Deer Creek?

--Jim

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Edited by - doublereefed on 03/21/2021 20:59:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page