Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Electrical galley pumps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blanik
Navigator

Member Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/11/2019 :  17:09:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having a dilemma, my Whale Flipper pumps are all crapped out and leaking and i'm tired of them, i still use the water tank for dishes rinsing in the galley and hand washing in the bathroom so removing the water system like a lot of people here did is not an option but i'm hesitating between buying new flipper pumps or an electrical system with those small RV pumps with a faucet and switch, anyone here converted to electrical pumps? (foot pumps are cool but i think they would be more annoying than anything else in our small boats)

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2019 :  21:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I converted my 1979 Catalina 25 to a pump-on-demand electric pressure water system. I'm generally quite pleased with the convenience.

A few caveats:
  • Cost, obviously.
  • Use pressure-rated hose and quality hose clamps.
  • Be sure to include a pressure accumulator; feel free to design your own.
  • I keep my pump switched off unless I expect to draw water soon.
  • Even the slightest leak will drain your tank quickly if the pump is left on, thus keeping the system (and the leak) pressurized.
  • Speaking of which, even switching off when not in use, the larger the accumulator, the quicker a leak will empty the tank.
  • I knew my pump would be noisy when running, so I made an effort to muffle it when installing. It's good to be able to tell when it's running, but not that loud hum like plugging in to an already powered amp.
  • The convenience of pressure water can encourage water wasting habits from home, such as excessive rinsing, leaving the water running while brushing teeth. (I've seen it!)
  • Inability to get water out of the tank without the pump working. Consider leaving at least one manual pump faucet installed.
I tried one of the oh-so-clever dual function sink faucets. Turn for pressure water, pump up and down for manual delivery with pump off. The shutoff valve leaked right out of the box. Emptied one of my tanks in a few hours after I forgot to switch it off when leaving the boat. I ended up replacing it with a basic 1950's household sink faucet from a hardware store in Marsh Harbour.

— Leon

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2019 :  04:14:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I pressurized my water I followed the KISS rule. One pump that serves all outlets and one electrical connection. The existing reinforced 1/2" hose is more than capable to be pressurized. I used a small PAR Max 1.9 on demand pump.You don't need anything more and could probably go a little smaller. I cut the hose that comes out of the tank in the battery compartment and mounted the pump on the divider wall. Then hooked up the electrical to the fused panel behind the sink so it has own fuse and a switch. Then I changed out the flippers for standard faucets. I also put a tee fitting in the hose that runs to the galley and ran a hose aft through the dumpster for a shower. Simple. Honestly this was an easy project. The hardest part is making cover plates for the large holes where the flipper pumps were.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/12/2019 06:34:29
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2019 :  10:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I, too, would encourage you to install a freshwater pump if you spend much time aboard other than actually sailing. But I'd offer a caveat, based on my own experience: use a pump specifically designed for marine use. I made the mistake of using a pump meant for RV use, and it didn't survive very long in the humid space under the settee (I can't keep the bilge areas dry, but that's another matter). I replaced it with a Shurflow Aqua King II and I've been quite satisfied with it. Also, I agree with keeping at least one manual pump: when (not if) the electric pump fails I don't want to be stuck without a way to access my freshwater - I need it for drinking when I'm away from a marina.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2019 :  12:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips! I was not looking for a pressurized system, just a "switch the pump on-off with no permanent pressure" kind of system... my drinking water is always from reusable bottles so it's really only for washing hands and rinsing the dishes, i fill the tank up once every 4-6 weeks, it's just annoying to wash hands with a flipper pump #128516; (and the electric pumps are cheaper than a new Whale Flipper) a friend invited me to check his C25, he bought it with a foot pump under the companionway step, he says it's a no brainer, i'll give it a look this week

1984 C25 FK/SR #4593
Lake Champlain

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2019 :  13:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blanik

I was not looking for a pressurized system, just a "switch the pump on-off with no permanent pressure" kind of system...

You could accomplish that by dropping a cheap bilge pump in the fresh water tank. That's what the PO did to my boat. He also kept the flipper faucets, but gutted them.

(I've since taken it all out and upgraded the water system.)

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2019 :  06:03:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how a switched pump makes things simpler... A demand-pressure pump turns itself on when the pressure drops (faucet opens) and is wired to a circuit on your panel--no separate switch to install. Mine is on a panel circuit just for the pump, so it can be "enabled and disabled" from the panel as needed. If you buy an ordinary bathroom faucet like I have (which is all you need), just be sure to cap off the hot water feed tube--if you don't and the hot water side is ever left on, when you turn on the cold, some of the water goes though the faucet to the hot tube and ends up in the cabinet below the sink. Don't ask how I know this...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/15/2019 20:37:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page