Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 GPS Waypoints Web Site
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/08/2019 :  14:40:26  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I may have asked this before but can't find the thread.
I have an older hand held GPS unit that needs waypoints punched in and lost them when the batteries died over the winter.
Does anyone have a web site with Lat Lon co-ords for markers?
At one time I had a book of Lat Lon positions for Western Long Island Sound but have lost it. Also had a web site that when your cross hairs were on a mark it read out the Lat Lon. Not there now.
Any suggestions would be helpful. GPS works well just need to re-enter the markers.
Thanks.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 06/08/2019 14:55:13

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  05:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, I still have 2 Garmin GPS handheld devices plus paper charts (God forbid!). I also use my cell based iPad app.

I started out one winter in the mid-naughts manually typing in my most frequently visited waypoints from my charts to initialize my new GPS.

During the following sailing season I checked the waypoints for errors or omissions and found quite a few out on the water. After about 2 years I’d built my local model for locations within a day or two sail from central LI Sound.

At the time Garmin also provided a PC-based application to backup your waypoints via a special serial cable or USB cable. I kept that current for years and still have a few versions of these databases around. Garmin discontinued the PC app some years ago, probably for Windows 8.1.

I also added a micro flash memory device to my GPS to backup the GPS memory. Being flash memory, unless you delete it, it retains its memory without need for battery power.

To answer your question I can think of two charting software apps that you might use to identify desirable waypoints:

* GeoGarage (also known as Marine US, copyright © 2010 Magic Instinct Software) - basically handles the NOAA charts plus your GPS live coordinates

* Navionics App - similar chart-based app you can us to identify your desired waypoints.

You could cross reference these to the Apple Map App which allows you to “drop a pin” on the map and you can read off decimal Lat Lon values. You can use your old slide rule to convert to degrees, minutes and seconds.

A text-based CSV file or Excel spreadsheet with local placenames and markers plus Lat Lon data, I’m not aware of any. Does “Coast Pilots” offer such a thing?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 06/09/2019 05:50:46
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/09/2019 :  07:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here’s a google website to help a little
https://www.gps-coordinates.net/

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  15:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never navigated with anything but the Navionics app on my phone and tablet. They work great and can do what you want like Bruce said. You can also download map areas to your device for when you are out of cellular range or want to save on you data plan. I think they are free unless you want additional features, like routing.

See here: https://www.navionics.com/usa/apps/navionics-boating

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  18:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree largely with Seth, provided your smartphone is running, your Navionics application will work as advertised. The Navionics yearly subscription fee is $14.99 for the US, while the Marine US has a one-time software license fee of $5.99.
I’m an engineer so I plan for failure. My backup is my handheld GPS, my next backup is my older GPS and my last-last resort is to use paper charts and dead reckoning. The latter is a lost art, frankly.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 06/10/2019 :  19:02:30  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
Great info and one of the sites I saved has a Lat Lon bar available I just hadn't explored the menu well enough.
A little wonky but it works. With the bar applied there is a small rosette circle in the middle of the screen. place it over the place or marker and the Lat Lon is in the bar.
Will take some time to get my "antique" back up to speed but that's what rainy days are for.
http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#12/40.9323/-73.5347

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2019 :  03:36:55  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here ya go. a list of all the ATNs in the country https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lightlists . As always dont rely on just one source, check a chart as well, and the corrections list.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/11/2019 :  05:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Todd, yes, that’s the document I was thinking of - The Light List.
Every danged major aid to navigation and updates every week.
Somehow I thought it was related to Coast Pilots, which it isn’t. Good read tho...

(Edit) The Light List does not seem to include lesser lights. For example it’ll list the most seaward light for a harbor or shoal but not successive lights leading up into a harbor. Some of these - like those marking important hazards in a harbor - will have to be derived from another source. When you think of Northport Harbor in LIS, Tampa Bay, Houston Ship Channel or Mission Bay in San Diego, you need a few more details than the main marker...

John, the iBoat live map site is pretty nice for your application. Can you enter the data as decimal degrees?, or do you have to convert to DD:MM.MMM?

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 06/11/2019 05:59:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page