Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Fixed keel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

panhead1948
Captain

Member Avatar

345 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/03/2019 :  17:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 84 Fixed heel. Can anyone ne tell me how the keel is constructed. Was the keel bolted on and then the fiberglass pieces assembled around the Keel?

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2019 :  09:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it cast iron or fiber-glassy-like material encasing a lead core? I'm not sure when they changed from the former to the latter--my '85 is lead, and I think the change to that was about 1984. Another sign that it's lead is the bolts and nuts are stainless steel--not rusting mild steel.

(I invite Bill Holcomb to correct any of this... )

Either way, the hull was molded with a 6-8" "stub" for the keel--the stub has a wood core in the bottom that the keel bolts go through. The lead keel is made with the bolts (studs) molded into it. I suspect but don't know that the casing, which was a fibrous material similar to the asbestos they used to coat boilers with, was applied around the lead after the keel was bolted to the stub, and then was apparently coated with some resin to create a hard shell. The reason I think that is there was no visible seam between my keel and the stub like there is with the cast iron keels. I assumed the fibrous material was applied to match the shape of the earlier iron keel, the lead core being smaller to keep the ballast weight the same. If something "runs into" the lead keel, as it did slightly with mine and seriously with an '86 I saw that was really messed up, you'll see what I'm talking about.

(BTW, I've long believed that compression of the wood core in the keel stub has been the principle cause of the "Catalina smile" that develops between the forward part stub and the keel--but that's just a suspicion.)

Why do you ask?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/04/2019 09:45:47
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2019 :  14:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Dave and think the fiberous white mystery material was sprayed on. Just a guess on that.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

SKS
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2019 :  02:53:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Lady E" 1986 Catalina 25: Fin Keel, Standard Rig, Inboard M12 Diesel, Sail No. 5339
Sailing out of Norwalk Cove Marina, Connecticut
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2019 :  07:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah HAH! They suggest getting the wood out of there and adding laminate. The line at the bottom suggests they eliminated the wood core in the stub in 1988.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page