Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Laz hinge repair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/25/2019 :  06:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our c250 tone of the hinges on the port laz needs reattaching to the boat. I would simply put a bolt through and attach with a lock nut but the other side is a completely sealed compartment.

I could use the next sized screw and hope that holds with epoxy.
I could add the next sized screw and epoxy the hinge to the boat (lame move) in case the hinge fails some day....

Any ideas.....has this happened on your boat?

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 05/25/2019 20:14:15

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/25/2019 :  22:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been quite awhile since I did it and it's held up good but I could reach the back of the aft hinge by crawling head first part way through the aft bulkhead. It was tight. I used a small saw and cut a round hole in the liner to reach the back of the forward hinge and then installed a screw in deck plate in the liner. Installed larger bolts, lock nuts and large washers for the hinges. If I recall correctly I also cut, drilled and installed wood backing for the hinges.

Good luck.

Steve
C250 wb #702

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/26/2019 :  10:41:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have any clues on how Catalina did it? Is this an exterior mounting exposed to weather so bedding is required? I can't see what you're describing, but guessing Catalina attached the hinge after the fiberglass was assembled... Molly bolt? Toggle bolt? Some other sort of sleeve? (If any of those, make sure they're stainless.) If it's with self-tapping screws, that's (obviously) not a good way to mount something in fiberglass if it moves and stresses the mounting.

Some installations on the older C-25s were done with bronze plates glassed inside before assembly, and then drilled and tapped afterward so only a bolt was used to attach something (like a gudgeon). Of course, if the threads eventually stripped in the bronze, then something else had to be done, sometimes requiring cutting and installing an inspection port.

I have heard of epoxying a bolt into fiberglass after coating the bolt with melted wax, so that after the epoxy sets up the bolt can be removed, leaving perfectly formed threads in the epoxy. It's probably more secure than threads in ordinary fiberglass, but I've never done it and wouldn't trust it for a hinge.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/26/2019 10:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2019 :  09:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there enough room or depth to drill out the hole to accept a knurled threaded insert? If you drill out the hole to ensure a snug fit, you can epoxy or krazy glue the inserts in place. The knurled texture usually helps to bite into the fiberglass backing.

Something like this here

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 05/27/2019 09:55:30
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2019 :  20:25:26  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the same problem a few years ago. I easily resolved this with pop rivets.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2019 :  00:26:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
POP RIVETS! Of course.if they dont work then i can try something else. I was looking for a solution that someone had actually Used.. Thank you! And thanks to everyone129395.
quote:
Originally posted by DavidCrosby

I had the same problem a few years ago. I easily resolved this with pop rivets.

Edited by - vdotmatrix on 05/28/2019 00:28:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page