Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Swing keel removal - no photos available
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lee Panza
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/03/2019 :  17:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will be the year I remove my swing keel, so I'm starting to plan. I remember seeing a post on this forum about the "threaded-rod method" that had some nice pictures. But after checking the Technical Tips section and searching this forum extensively I've not been able to find them. The general procedure seems simple enough in the verbal descriptions I've found, although there's been little said about the support cradles people have used, but it's a shame that we don't have a graphic tutorial.

I've also seen photos showing how much the pivot hole had worn, as well as photos of the condition of a keel that had been sand-blasted.

Swing keel renovation is a process that people will be seeking help on for many years to come, and it can be pretty daunting to consider. It would do a lot for building people's confidence to see how others have done it rather than just trying to imagine it from the descriptions. Some of the old posts I've found contain links to photos, but the links in most of those old posts are already dead. Over time all of our privately maintained photo-sharing websites will go away, so it sure would be nice to have some pictures in the Tech Tips of this forum. I'm presuming that whenever it becomes necessary to migrate to another server our archives and Tech Tips will be transferable.

When I get around to doing the job I'll try to contribute some pix to the Tech Tips, but in the meantime, would anyone else be able to put some pictures - and maybe some accompanying verbal descriptions - where it would be easy and logical to find them? I'm sure they would be appreciated.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  04:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check Frank Hopper's gallery:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  05:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://sailincat.com/boating/C25_proj/C25_sk_install.htm

<< Reasure them that you're not crazy or suicidal. >>

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 04/04/2019 05:25:25
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  05:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.catalinadirect.com/keel-casting-retrofit-eliminates-wear/

Catalina Direct page, I'm sure you have seen.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  10:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ray: That tutorial on the 'sailincat' website was exactly what I remember seeing. Thanks very much for re-posting it.

There was an old post in the archives that had a couple of links that I think were similar (the 'sailincat.com' looks familiar) but they didn't work when I tried them. I even copied the links out of the archived message and pasted them directly into my browser's address field, but they still didn't work. I'm too lazy right now to search for that old post again to compare them to what you just posted, to try to figure out why the didn't work, but the link in your current message works just fine. The pictures themselves are also links to larger resolution images on the same website. This is GREAT material!

Is there any possibility that this tutorial could be uploaded to the Tech Tips section of our forums? As I said, this daunting procedure is one that will be considered by DIY Cat25 owners for many years to come, so this material is valuable to have readily on hand. Who can do that?

It is reassuring that one needn't be "crazy or suicidal" to attempt this. Just very, very careful!

And yes: "Wobbly is bad, very bad."

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  10:51:57  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
...and thank you, David, for posting that photo of Frank Hopper's. I seem to remember that the entire set he had posted to a commercial photo-sharing website went away when that website changed their policies. Frank, if you happen to read this, could you put something together on this topic to mount to the Association's Tech Tips section? I'm sure quite a few people in future years will be grateful. As will I.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2019 :  11:13:09  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed that the picture you posted, David, was housed here on the Association's website, so I checked under one of Frank's albums in the Members' Photos section and found it. I also found this rather frightening image (clicking on it in the album view brings up a high-res version):

I'd really like to know what, if any, restorative work was done at the voids evident around these critical attachment points.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2019 :  09:04:31  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi fellow swing keel owners. My apologies for lack of maintenance on the Sailin' Cat website. I have way more projects going than I can expect to finish in one lifetime. (I'm hoping there's some rule about "You can't leave until you finish what you've started.")

In addition to...

http://sailincat.com/boating/C25_proj/C25_sk_install.htm

...here's a link to some more misc. swing keel notes...

http://sailincat.com/boating/C25_proj/C25_sk_idx.htm

...however I may rename that link next time I get around to doing website maintenance to something more like _idx_c25_sk.htm.

Feel free to ask questions, but, as always, don't count on prompt or accurate answers.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page